Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Porco Rosso

• Other ( Please Specify )

• Total voters

Mangaminx

Stand User
I'm sure a great many of you love these films , but whats your favourite? . Ive tried to include the most well known in the poll but just not enough room for all. The "other" option is there if ive missed your favourite.

Oh if your wondering about the title I made it "Miyazaki or Ghibli" , as I believe that Nausicaa was made before Ghibli was founded.

Oh, and I voted for Princess Mononoke . I just love every thing about this film and although KiKi's Delivery service is a close second for me , the excellent portryal of man vs nature in Princess Mononoke wins it just.

I chose Spirited Away, i feel quite predictable, but that is my favourite. I love some of the others also (havn't seen them all) but Spirited Away is defiantly my favourite. I remember when i first bought it i think i watched it everyday for about a week

I went for Princess Mononoke. Its so epic i just love it! I love spirited away too but i find mononoke a shade more realistic since its got a kinda historic feel to it :p

the only other one i have seen is grave of fireflies and i like that alot too, what others would u recomend??

Neither of my favourites are there! My all time favourite is Whisper of the Heart. I love Ghibli movies but get slightly annoyed at the hint of romance never coming to fruition! (There should always have been more to the relationship between San and Ashitake!).
Whisper of the Heart is a very beautiful story of young love, with an actual happy ending :D (Plus you can't beat that wonderful versin of Country Road!!). I LOVE Muuta and The Baron, which is why The Cat Returns is my second favourite Ghibli movie!!
There are some wonderful books about the further tales of The Baron, I have the original Japanese versions but I know that one is due to be translated and released soon, so I am pleased :D

I think you should have replaced it for Porco Rosso :D
No one talks about Pom Poko either! I just love those naughty creatures and their enourmously huge......ahem :lol:

All 4 of the Ghibli DVDs I own (incidently, the only 4 that any new Anime fan can buy on R2 UK DVD - Try finding a copy of Laputa) are 5 stars and I find it difficult to order them... I find them all to be favorites in completely different ways. Princess Mononoke was my favorite... but I can never be sure, especially as the DVD has crappy Dubtitles and I'm not sure I can stand the English voice track anymore... I watch KDS yesterday, and I loved it to pieces. Grave of the Fireflies is a superb, emotional movie, but I'm just too much of a positive person to call it a favorite I suppose. Which leaves Spirited Away... but i'm trying to get the damned DVD back off a friend who "borrowed" it.

Miaka-chan said:
My Princess Mononoke is the very first version released eons ago :lol:
I think it's dubtitled but can't say it's ever bothered me.
The easiest way to tell is when subtitles pop up onscreen when no-one is saying anything on the Japanese language track.

BTW, I personally think that Optimum's releases (Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away) aren't that bad (though the edges of the discs seem a bit dodgy t me...). It's Buena Vista that need a good slap for only ever releasing one-disc editions with no special features and dodgy subtitling (KDS only has impaired hearing subs, so you have to put up with "[Birds Chirping]" and stuff like that). Of course, I really shouldn't complain because it takes so long for these companies to ever get round to releasing the DVD anyway. Anyone got an ETA on Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, The Cat Returns and Totoro? Bare in mind that you should add another 12 months to that date just because.

kupoartist said:
Anyone got an ETA on Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, The Cat Returns and Totoro? Bare in mind that you should add another 12 months to that date just because.

I think the Cat Returns was meant to come out in May, but I've since seen a little article in a Total Film forthcoming releases article saying it'll be out in cinemas in June?

Also, you may have the four UK Ghiblis, but you should get Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro released here by Manga. It's a Lupin the 3rd film and very good. You should be able to get it cheap on the net.

Capuchin said:
kupoartist said:
Also, you may have the four UK Ghiblis, but you should get Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro released here by Manga. It's a Lupin the 3rd film and very good. You should be able to get it cheap on the net.
Already have done ^^. It's a good, fun film... not in the same league as the ghibli movies but still great.

And here's a bit about the Cat Returns release :
Otaku News have been sent details from Optimum Releasing for the UK release of The Cat Returns. The Ghibli film will have a theatrical run in June. The exact release date and details are still to be confirmed. They will also be releasing Hayao Miyazaki's latest masterpiece Howl's Moving Castle in UK cinemas later this year with several more Ghibli titles on DVD.

Otaku News will keep you updated with further information when we have it!

That's from Otakunews :p

Maybe the Disney releases of Ghibli here were delayed due to Optimum offering to buy some of the rights? I can't find anything on Optimum's website though.

MangaMinX said:
The Porco Rosso and Nausicaa releases are on http://www.eyeonanime.com release schedule.
Thanks for that... seem a bit speculative, but fingers crossed!
Capuchin said:
Maybe the Disney releases of Ghibli here were delayed due to Optimum offering to buy some of the rights? I can't find anything on Optimum's website though.
Heh... Optimum aren't terribly good at keeping their website up to date :)

I wonder about those 'several more Ghibli titles' though... while I welcome any Optimum release over a Buena Vista effort, it'd be great if these titles were the ones that Disney may not even be touching (because they're far more interested in the Miyazaki cash-cow right now): Pom Poko, Only Yesterday, Whispers of the Heart, perhaps even My Neighbours the Yamadas.

Regarding the Cat Returns... a while back I was under the impression that it was getting released for March. Then I heard the DVD was out in May... Now it seems that the theatrical run is back on. That's one thing I haven't done yet: seen a Ghibli film in the cinema. I hope it's on somewhere near me :D

I've only seen Spirited away and Mononoke. I voted Mononoke, there doesn't seem to be anything else like it, and that includes live-action.

Much like Ghost in the Shell, I don't understand everyone's obsession with Spirited Away. I came 'away' from it thinking, this was a bit...so so.

It's very imaginative, yes, with lively, vibrant chracters and setting, but it just bored me. There didn't seem to be anything to it, whereas Mononoke has a lot more stuff going on, with more endearing chracters.

Back