Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind

• Porco Rosso

• Other ( Please Specify )

• Total voters
I agree with Lupus...While my friend goes koo-koo over the film I couldn't see why when I watched it and found it out of it's league when compared to other Ghibli titles.

Spirited Away is just fantastic, the story is just so heart warming

Lupin however is also excellent ad consider it one caliostro one of my top dvds to watch anytime

Its got to be Princess Mononoke, my first Miyazaki film for one thing but also because the film is so balanced. It has its baddies but every side has at least some claim to what they're after, its not all black and white in this world and Miyazaki does a fine job of showing it while also pushing forward his own view on what life should be like.

Introduced it to a friend a while ago and she just wont shut up about it hehe.

I havent found a Ghibli film i didnt enjoy.....Spirited Away was a bit of a letdown but only because of the HUGE amount of hype that accompanies it, note to self never ever listen to anyone when it comes to films :p

Howl's Moving Castle has got a pretty bad rep and i suppose you can see why when compared to 'The Greats'. On its own though i found it enjoyable - if you just watch it as a anime and not a ghibli anime its perfectly good enough to pass the evening with.

I'm kinda torn between 3 films,

Kiki's Delivery Service as I love the dubbing on her cat

The Cat Returns as it has Tim Curry as the King Cat and I cannot say a bad word about any Tim Curry character

Porco Russo cause the story is absolutely brilliant and I never get bored re-watching it.

Hmmm...so tough, however Grave of the Fireflies stands out as the best for me. Not exactly the most uplifting of films, but it's a fantastic story and portrays a side of war that is not always shown.

Princess Mononoke blew me away, best movie I've seen in years. Simply perfect in just about every area.

The only other two Ghibli films I've seen have been disappointing in comparison - Nausicaa, while still being worth a place in my DVD collection, is not anywhere near as good as Mononoke, while Howl's Moving Castle is a shockingly over-rated mess of a movie.

Haven't watched Spirted Away yet, even though I picked it up from HMV for £3.59. Must get around to watching it.

Totoro and Whisper of the Heart are my two favourites; I just find them so relaxing and mesmerising to watch. I tend to get lost inside them, only to wake up when they're over, and realise I'm stuck in the living world.

Cat Returns and Mononoke are both very good also. I'm yet to watch Earthsea, although I did pick up the Japanese release whilst in Japan - hurray for English subtitles!

I just picked Nausicaa over Monoke in my latest online shop because (and this is a stupid reason) Hideaki Anno was involved with the movie. Leaving that aside, though, did I make the right choice?

In a word, no.

Princess Mononoke is rated by many as the best Ghibli film, some even putting it in their top 10 movies of all time. Nausicaa doesn't have the same high rating for a reason - It's a good movie but not an amazing movie.

Aion said:
In a word, no.

Princess Mononoke is rated by many as the best Ghibli film, some even putting it in their top 10 movies of all time. Nausicaa doesn't have the same high rating for a reason - It's a good movie but not an amazing movie.

Well, I know a few people that count Nausicaa as their favorite anime movie of all time (which is high praise indeed) so I'm guessing it's probably a very good movie. It was one of Ghibli's first movies, too, IIRC?

1986 if I recall?

It got quote boring at parts for me and I felt nothing for most of the characters. I'd still say it's a movie worthy of a place in any anime fans collection.

CitizenGeek said:
It was one of Ghibli's first movies, too, IIRC?
Released in 1984, technically it pre-dates Ghibli, which wasn't actually formed until 1985. Strictly speaking, the first Studio Ghibli film was Laputa, but Nausicaa has nonetheless been retroactively adopted as a 'Studio Ghibli' film, because most of the Nausicaa team ended up as part of the company.

I don't think much of Nausicaa. It feels too tight and tidy for my liking, which is hugely disappointing when the manga on which it is based on has three times the story and a sixth of the 'happily ever after' naffness in resolution. Aion singling out the characters is a point of interest... particularly Kushana and Nausicaa... Instead of growing to learn how to be a true leader, Kushana just pales into indifference. As for Nausicaa, she became a far more interesting, well rounded character in the manga than the action-hero goody-goody she is in the film (and the first few books). Far more flawed and impulsive. Of course, if there was a Mononoke manga, we'd perhaps be saying the same about that... but I think in comparrison, Mononoke just has a far more epic feel within a similar running time, and visually it is a very beautiful film... Nausicaa is a very basic looking film, as you'd expect from a start-out animation studio.

For me Mononoke has one particularly notable advantage over Nausicaa (apart from being more recent) and that is it’s soundtrack. I love both films equally but the music of Mononoke is epic and beautiful.

Didn’t they only create the Nausicaa manga as a result of initially failing to get the anime produced?

I find it quite difficult to say which is my favourite as it kind of changes all the time but for some reason I guess I have most often returned to Kiki’s Delivery Service (Jap dub) as it's a film that just makes me feel at one with the world.

harkins said:
Didn’t they only create the Nausicaa manga as a result of initially failing to get the anime produced?
wikipedia said:
According to the "Birth of Studio Ghibli" featurette, Miyazaki only wrote the manga because Studio Ghibli film producer Toshio Suzuki was unable to get funding for a film that was not based on a manga[1]. However, other sources have it the other way around: Miyazaki started the manga on the condition that it would never be made into a film. He later agreed to do a fifteen-minute OAV, but Animage editors eventually convinced him to make an entire feature-length film[2].
So, I'm not really sure :p, save to say that regardless of his intentions in the beginning, Miyazaki ended up making Nausicaa a protracted and very individual project in the end.

It occurred to me recently that I Kiki's Delivery Service subconsciously influenced which University I chose. Bizarre.

harkins said:
For me Mononoke has one particularly notable advantage over Nausicaa (apart from being more recent) and that is it’s soundtrack. I love both films equally but the music of Mononoke is epic and beautiful.
That's just it for me. The soundtrack is far too polished, as is the animation. I'm all for high quality animation and audio, but it never compares to the "gritty-ness" of watching an old school Studio Ghibli film. That's why I love most of the movies in the Studio Ghibli collection boxset. Apart from Princess Mononoke, it contains all of their older stuff.

This is precisely why the 80s and 90s were the Golden Age of anime.

Back