Nintendo Revolution has a new name!

I honestly don't know what Nintendo were thinking. 'Revolution' is a really cool name (and descriptive too, considering the originality of of the controller's design) so I don't see a need for the change.

The name can apparently also be pronounced as 'why'.

Funny that.

What it is with concepts, doesn't seem to matter whether it's cars or code names, the best ideas are thrown away time and time again.

The guys here at work aren´t too impresed either. We´ve got some pretty hardcore Nintendo fanboys, and even they´re struggling to like it. Still holding out hope that it´s all an elaborate hoax, but as it´s appearing on all the official sites, it´s not looking likely

I just cant see it doing well :? what with the controller and now the wierd name, nintendo are just going for a different look but they may be going too different :? but at least they'll always make great games ^_^

Over on UK-A they were discussing the controller: a one-handed wii stick... :shock:

I'm getting a strong impression that Nintendo have comitted commercial suicide!

Well, it seems silly for them to adjust their marketing due to slang in two countries, but seeing how big the US market is you'd think they'd take it into consideration.

On the other hand, it guarantees exposure outside the usual game media and if people see the good points of the machine thanks to this then it may counteract any negativity. Plus it's not intentionally rude unlike the fcuk ad campaign so it won't backfire in that way.

It may seem an odd choice now but it depends how big the machine becomes, for example Richard Branson has made his brand transcend any limitations linked with the word 'virgin'.

So the name isn't to great...meh..doesn't matter...overall it doesn't affect what will be on the console and how the performance of the console in general will be like, so i don't mind..they said that the revolution was only a codename and so i expected the change sooner or later, the name was just not exactly what i expected :? . Still i will get one as i am one of those hardcore nintendo fans :p

I reckon the name change is fixed i tells ya. Considering the timing of the name change follows two months a head of E3's convention. It's a ploy to hype up Nintendo fanboys on to why they change the name and Nintendo will instead change the name again.Speculations i tells ya. Just like the shortage of Xbox 360 it's marketing i tells ya

BabyDaddy said:
I'm still buying it. Plus it shows Nintendo still have a child-ish side naming a console Wii. o_0
Or that they're a Japanese company. For starters, I can't personally see people who natively speaking english immediately calling it "we" as it indeed sounds in Japan, because our letters mean so little consistantly. My instinct was to say "Why", which is pretty ironic when you consider that's what most people will be asking when they learn they changed from the Revolution name. Sure "Revolution" sounded kind of arrogant and people occasionally made fun of it's relation to Nintendo's buisness strategy of giving us a plethora of games we played 10 years ago, but it's hardly like it was a "dolphin" level of unmarketability. And the urination jokes are certainly going to play against Nintendo for the rest of time.

Still buying. Expecting the humour of the new name to die down, only to resurface again for a few weeks around the launch as the daily mail/the sun spots this & takes the piis.

Back