MVM Listings For OreImo Discovered!

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
At MCM London Comic Con this past weekend, MVM Entertainment announced a number of new anime license acquisitions, such as <strong>Hanamonogatari </strong>and <strong>Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls</strong>. According to listings discovered in their Anime-On-Line website however, it appears that they have more up their sleeves for the new year!

The most notable discovery are listings for both seasons of Aniplex's controversial romantic comedy series <strong>OreImo </strong>(<em>My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute!</em>). The first season is currently slated to be released on <strong>25th January 2016</strong>, with the second following a week later on <strong>1st February. </strong>The lack of product pages for a blu-ray release indicates that the series will only be available on DVD, while the description of the second season omits any mention of the OVAs that conclude the narrative. MVM's official synopsis for the series is as follows:

For the past seven years, Kyousuke Kousaka's relationship with his younger sister Kirino has been nothing but cold. It's gotten the the point where the only talking the siblings do is to exchange greetings with each other. But one day, Kyousuke finds a moe anime DVD lying in the entrance hall of his house. His interest piqued, Kyousuke looks for the owner - only to discover it belongs to his very own sister Kirino. Shocked as Kyousuke was, this is just the beginning of the surprises that lie ahead...

In addition to being smart, pretty, and popular, Kirino Kousaka is also an obsessive consumer of anime and eroge. After Kyousuke promies not to mock her and keep this concealed from their parents, she starts to share a bit of her world with him. Kirino faces several problems as she tries to keep up appearances and balance her exemplary school life with her hobbies. Her brother becomes a crucial ally while dealing with all the difficulties that lie ahead.

Listings were also discovered for a selection of MVM Entertainment's previously announced anime titles, including all new release dates:

<ul>
<li><strong>Hidamari Sketch </strong>Season 1 Collection - DVD/Blu-ray - 4th January 2016.</li>
<li><strong>K&auml;mpfer </strong>Complete Series & OVA Collection - DVD/Blu-ray - 7th March 2016.</li>
</ul>

As well as the following release date adjustments:

<ul>
<li><strong>Infinite Stratos </strong>Series 2 Collection - DVD - 14th December 2015.</li>
<li><strong>Maid-sama</strong> Part 1 - DVD - 7th December 2015.</li>
<li><strong>Maid-sama</strong> Part 2 - DVD - 18th January 2016.</li>
<li><strong>No Game No Life </strong>Collection - DVD/Blu-ray - 29th February 2016 (Collector's Edition still listed for 11th January).</li>
<li><strong>The Eccentric Family</strong> Series Collection - DVD - 21st December 2015 (Blu-ray Collector's Edition still listed for 30th November).</li>
</ul>

What do you think about this sneaky release of <strong>OreImo</strong>? WIll you be buying any of MVM's upcoming titles?

(Credit to forum member Dannielle for finding the listings).

I already own Oreimo Season 1 & 2 (AOA DVD) and The Eccentric Family (NIS America Blu-ray). Since I own the Sentai blu-ray for Infinite Stratos Season, I will get their release of season 2 as well.

Since the AOA release of Oreimo was DVD only, MVM probably cannot release it on blu-ray yet. I would think Aniplex would want to sell their own blu-rays before allowing other companies to do so to limit reverse importing or maybe the cost of releasing a blu-ray version was too much to make worthwhile for MVM.

mangaman74 said:
Since the AOA release of Oreimo was DVD only, MVM probably cannot release it on blu-ray yet. I would think Aniplex would want to sell their own blu-rays before allowing other companies to do so to limit reverse importing or maybe the cost of releasing a blu-ray version was too much to make worthwhile for MVM.

MVM wouldn't have been able to make a Blu-ray anyway, not without another distributor so this isn't surprising. I'm disappointed the license went to MVM but either way the show is now here in the UK. The Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box for Season 1 has English subs so I'll be getting that at some point. I expect a Season 2 BD-Box to appear eventually next year.

For those wondering both seasons have the OVAs - the listing runtime is 400 minutes and each season has a total of 16 episodes (12 + 4 OVAs and 13 + 3 OVAs).

mangaman74 said:
I already own Oreimo Season 1 & 2 (AOA DVD) and The Eccentric Family (NIS America Blu-ray). Since I own the Sentai blu-ray for Infinite Stratos Season, I will get their release of season 2 as well.

Kaze were able to release Magi on blu-ray, despite Aniplex of America's release being DVD-only, so it might not be completely out of the realms of possibility - especially given how old the property is (although, it might also be).

To be honest, I'll be surprised if MVM's release of OreImo performs well because I think the ship has sailed on the franchise. Almost four years have passed since Aniplex of America first released the first season on DVD and then the fallout of the second season happened. I think the sweet spot to release the series on DVD would have been 2012-2013 because by now, anyone who wanted to own the series has probably already imported Aniplex of America's - I've personally had season one's standard edition on my shelf for over 3 years now.

I'll be interested to know why we're seemingly not receiving a blu-ray release because that might have done a lot to rejuvenate interest. It is worth noting though not only have Aniplex of America never released the franchise on blu-ray, but they haven't even released a standard edition DVD for season two - so how did it perform for them?

I'll be 100% honest, I had no idea OreImo had a DVD release in the US. Personally, I don't think the show is good enough to justify import costs so I'll happily take a standard, cheap release although I am reluctant to buy DVD releases at all at this point.

Already own Aniplex of America's LE DVD of the season 1 and haven't the slightest intention of picking up the second season, so I'm going to have to pass on this one. If MVM had somehow managed to get BD rights to OreImo I'd have been ready and willing to throw some coin their way.

mangaman74 said:

Don't even get me started on oreimo.... first season.... masterpiece.... second season....... o_O ..... my God why why did this happen why

Oh Oreimo. How do I hate you.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate Oreimo since I came to know it. There are 138240 frames that make up the first season of Oreimo. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of frames it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Oreimo at this micro-instant. For Oreimo. Hate. Hate.

So yeah, MVM are not my friend, buddy.

I have a lot of love for Oreimo and personally feel a lot of people write it off for the icky issues and overlook a lot of the more interesting stuff it does - I always say, outside of Genshiken, I think it's one of the most interesting/detailed looks at an otaku lifestyle in anime.

The first season was good
The second was completely AWFUL... in fact if the second season never made then it would be a master piece.

But the second season destroyed everything good about the first.

The brother who is the main character was one of my favourite charecters then when season two came....... I F****** hate him... his worse then Lelouch and you all know well how much I hate Lelouch.

The first was about how someone with an obsession and that her brother helps her get through it.....And it can happen to any of us.

The second... was a rushed mess with nothing hell the girl he choses is the most dumb ass thing he has ever done ever...... -_- I just want him dead an burn in hell for who he chose

IWPqcnL.jpg

Pretty much sums up what's going on here.

animefreak17 said:
worse then Lelouch and you all know well how much I hate Lelouch.

Goodness!

But yeah, I hated s2 as well (I should have said this here rather than in the News thread; never mind). In my case it wasn't the ending that did it, or even my feelings about the choices Kyousuke made. It was because the series became the entire thing it was lampooning so well at the start; a tedious run of the mill harem show with nothing interesting or clever to say. It's the perfect example of everything that bothers me about the LN craze; people have a great idea for a short series, write a book, it becomes a hit - and then they drag the concept on long past the point where their original idea has evaporated. It makes Jump battle manga look like fine art.

(Interesting that Lutga mentioned Genshiken as that's another series I fell very passionately out of love with after its last series.)

Perhaps the negative press will work in MVM's favour. Oreimo is so infamous at this point that it's got to be the kind of show newcomers are terribly curious about, and if nothing else it certainly looks bright and appealing since it's nicely animated. For everyone it annoyed there are going to be several others who enjoyed the ride.

R

I think this is a series I'll have to revisit because I remember enjoying the second season just as much as the first when I watched it, OVAs not withstanding. I had no idea there was such vitriol for the second season.

Lutga said:
I have a lot of love for Oreimo and personally feel a lot of people write it off for the icky issues and overlook a lot of the more interesting stuff it does - I always say, outside of Genshiken, I think it's one of the most interesting/detailed looks at an otaku lifestyle in anime.
Really? Not to put too fine a point on it but it always came off as the "Kirito always succeeds at what he needs to do" sort of trash LN Writing version of what Genshiken did.

The moment that condemned this show to Video Hell for me was the one about the meeting with the people who wanted to adapt the sister's web novel into an anime (with substantial edits and offering no editorial power to the MC) only for Blando McGeneric to brow beat them into aquessing. At that point I was galvanised into practising my Shinji Rant to say at the end of the series the moment it started airing at the anime club.

Joshawott said:
Kaze were able to release Magi on blu-ray, despite Aniplex of America's release being DVD-only, so it might not be completely out of the realms of possibility - especially given how old the property is (although, it might also be).
Kaze have huge resources on the continent so can author their own discs, and also have more muscle both having the whole European market to leverage (as opposed to just the UK for MVM) and being part of ShoPro.

IncendiaryLemon said:
That's not very constructive :p
IncendiaryLemon, meet ConanThe3rd.

I haven't seen Oreimo before but I'd consider giving it a go if it's a Blu-ray release. I suspect it's the kind of show that I'd at least somewhat enjoy, although maybe I should start using a higher standard for my purchasing decisions (I might have to, between limited money and a lot of potentially interesting releases for next year).

More importantly, I'll have to try and make sure I have some money set aside for January to pick up Hidamari Sketch on Blu-ray... Again. Something about trying to make more sensible purchasing decisions.

Back