Details and Theatrical Trailer for Live-Action Fatal Frame

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
The full trailer for the live-action film adaptation of Fatal Frame has been released online by MAiDiGitv and details are now widely available with the film’s trailer which can be seen below.

Synopsis
At an old school located in the heart of the countryside, student Aya Tsukimori (Ayami Nakajo) becomes part of an ancient “cursed incantation” and is trapped in her school dormitory. Meanwhile, some students begin to report ghost sighting around the school while others disappear and are later discovered to have drowned. Aya attempts to contact fellow pupil Michi Kazato (Aoi Morikawa) who begins investigating the disappearances of her classmates…

The title for the film in Japan is Zero (零 ゼロ) and the movie is part of a multimedia project coupled with a video game release for the Wii-U. The film has been directed by Mari Asato, a female director with a great understanding and passion for J-horror as shown through strong films like Bilocation (2014) and Ju-on: Black Ghost (2009). As well as directing, she has also adapted the script which has its source in a novelisation of the game by Eiji Ohtsuka, creator of the macabre MPD-Psycho and blackly humorous Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Lead actress Ayami Nakajo makes her movie debut with the film. She is actually half British and she is a popular tarento and model. Her co-star, Aoi Morikawa, is also a model but she has more acting credits to her name with an appearance in Schoolgirl Complex (2013). A co-star, Karen Miyama, was the lead voice actress in the Production I.G. film, A Letter to Momo (2011).

The 2014 Fatal Frame movie adapts Tecmo Koei’s Fatal Frame survival horror game franchise which has four instalments across multiple game consoles and a fifth gearing up for release. The games follow young women who are lured to haunted locations in search of loved ones. Once at the location, they must use a Camera Obscura to photograph/fend off spirits. The first game took place in a mansion with a sister looking for her brother while the second, and arguably the best game, Crimson Butterfly, took place in a village trapped in time with twin sisters desperately searching for each other. The new film has been created to launch alongside the Wii-U game which launches on September 27th, a day after the film.

The film is due for a release on September 26th. For more information on the film, the game, plus the trailer, head on over to the news forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Details and Theatrical Trailer for Live-Action Fatal Fra

Fatal Frame II is my favourite game in the series. The movie looks solid judging by the trailer and I have faith in the director to make something decent.

I'm quite interested to see how this one plays out. I've been a fan of Fatal Frame/Project Zero for years, so i'd be content in checking out the movie as well. My hope is that the film and the game both get a release here, as we never did see the fourth title in the series. Curious to see if they tie the game to the rest of them too, much like how the third title had connections to 1 and 2 as well.

Gameplay trailer for Koei Tecmo’s new game, Fatal Frame: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden, were released earlier this month ahead of its release this weekend.

The game follows Yuri Kozukata, a girl who has the ability to see and bring back people who have been “spirited away” to another realm and are no longer visible. After accepting a request to find someone she heads to a mountain that has a large lake and graves.

Gamers familiar with the franchise will recognise many elements fom the series but with the move to the WiiU, there is the opportunity to utilise its gamepad as the camera. This can be seen in the CMs released by Nintendo which shows how the mechanics work thanks to the rather brave actresses of the Fatal Frame film that will be released on Friday.

The game is released on September 27th in Japan and the movie is released on the 26th.

I never did finish the second Project Zero (I got frustrated with the long trek to the boss fight) and I don't think I got very far into the third.
I should get a new PS2 (or a second hand original PS3 that doesn't sound like a chorus of hairdryers before shutting itself down).

Shiroi Hane said:
I never did finish the second Project Zero (I got frustrated with the long trek to the boss fight) and I don't think I got very far into the third.
I should get a new PS2 (or a second hand original PS3 that doesn't sound like a chorus of hairdryers before shutting itself down).

Survival horror games don't scare me... apart from Fatal Frame and Silent Hill 2!

I have considered buying a new PS1/2 just to play RPGs like Frontier Saga and Wild Arms. I'd totally like to get Project Zero and Clock Tower games.

Also, the film is released today!

Back