Your viewing journal

Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement.
Episodes 1-3
Episode 1 wasn't great but once past that it got more enjoyable. Horrifyingly, A MAN SMOKES A CIGARETTE. How can this even be allowed these days.

Today is the start of my holidays. I am supposed to be pretending to be Charlie Sheen. Unfortunately, I had a tooth removed and am on penicillin so not to smoke or drink and no pubs.
I had a look at my local cinema.
The Vue had a showing of
Detective Conan: Million Dollar Pentagram.
Me and one other person. Had a good time. I did have to ignore that I didn't know some of the cast, having only seen the first 30 odd episodes.
Only disappointment is that they didn't use the early opening song I like. Stayed til the end and got rewarded with some real views of Hokkaido and some extra scenes.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira: Episodes 1-4 (Complete)

snapshot_24.11.950.png

Yes, yes, yes! That OP was probably the best possible medicine to treat my post-Umineko depression. Higurashi might be shoving its way into 3rd place behind only Slayers and Bubblegum Crisis as the franchise with the most consistently great soundtrack at this rate. Kira was produced as a kind of celebration of 10 years of the franchise, as such it's fanservicey as all hell and is not to be taken seriously, at all. But it is also an OVA series which means considerably higher production values plus we're into the HD era now; rarely has something so dumb and ridiculous looked so beautiful. This extra budget even appears to have allowed the animators to (finally) figure out how boobs work.

The first two episodes are pure ridiculousness (of the ecchi and parody varieties respectively) and ymmv on how entertaining you find them depending on your tolerance for those genres. I enjoyed them, though occasionally through my fingers when I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Certainly anyone disinclined towards what are some fairly suggestive scenes featuring characters who are supposed to be eleven years old is probably better off skipping Episode 1. Kira isn't getting a UK release any time soon I'd wager, but if it ever does pass the BBFC I think we can consider the arguments over what exactly the Coroners and Justice Bill 2009 covers settled in favour of the rights of 2D lolis to self-expression.

The third episode is much closer to the usual flavour of Higurashi hijinks and more resembles something you might expect from a regular episode. Its love-quadrangle schemes are still pretty silly, but in-universe believable levels of silliness rather than off the charts. But the fourth is actually just a lovely story, making real use of that OVA budget to show off the beauty of Hinamizawa in what's almost a slice of life episode with a sweet ending that would make such a good canon finale I'm almost afraid to watch Gō and Sotsu now. No wait, that's good. Fear is good, Higurashi should make me afraid.

snapshot_22.35.464.png

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Covid Outbreak

What an oddity this one is. An hour long (and much more serious in tone) OVA released a year after Kira, yet it's far less visually impressive and has only ever been released on DVD (no blu-ray, no digital HD version) in Japan. From the way the characters rehash plot points near the start it feels like this was intended to be accessible to viewers new to the franchise, which might have made sense if it was a cinematic release but as far as I can discern, it wasn't. Perhaps it was originally planned as such but the idea was scrapped part way through production and the budget was cut as a result. That would certainly make a lot of sense, I can't imagine anyone who wasn't already a fan of Higurashi buying this as an OVA and those fans wouldn't need previous plot elements summarising for them. It also has long scrolling end credits just like a film.

Outbreak is clearly meant to take place on a completely separate timeline and it is very different in feel. Not only has the humour been stripped away but the characters themselves seem like harsher people, Rika barely reacts to Satoko's distress and Rena of all people starts talking about survival of the fittest and natural selection as it pertains to people after her and Keiichi have butchered dozens of people seemingly without a care in the world. It was clearly intended as the start of an alternative story, but I can't say I'm surprised it never went any further given that almost everything recognisably Higurashi is absent. There's no mystery, everything that's happening is spelled out, the horror has been replaced with gung-ho action and besides their appearances and voices the characters hardly seem like the same people. "Higurashi does zombie apocolypse" was done before, and better.

snapshot_44.39.472.png

Last edited:
SAO Alternative: GGO II ep1

Oh no, this came back. Oh no, I’m watching it again. Oh no.

In all seriousness, I was curious to see how they’d continue this one, given that unless they plan to introduce a lot of new characters, they’ve already exhausted the schtick of revealing how everyone’s real-life persona contrasts with their in-game avatar, and, thus far, the answer might as well be ‘ah, eto, bleh’. We’ve skipped more or less straight to ‘let’s do another game, but put Pitohui and LLENN on the same side this time’, which is fair enough - I found the ‘real world’ parts pretty excruciating last time around, might as well get to the fighting. Unfortunately, this episode is purely preamble to the game, and frankly feels a bit pointless. Maybe hardened fans will appreciate seeing the characters reintroduced, but I’d recommend casual followers to wait for next week.

I really really am looking forward to your review of Godannar. 😇

I loved it, the plot and characters were great fun, my only real complaints are how much Gou argued with Anna early on and the lack of nipples on the tiddies. Honestly I think this is way better than Nadesico, and I wouldn't quite put it on a level with Irresponsible Captain Tylor, but I still had a lot of fun with it, and felt that the silliness and more serious aspects were well-balanced, I also enjoyed the various foreign agents with glorious international accents XD I watched it dubbed and I know you prefer subbed, but I did think the dub was very well done - I saw a trailer for this years back and did think it looked potentially quite a lot of fun, and I'd say it lived up to my expectations overall. Fave character probably Shinobu but I was endeared to the whole cast :)

I've now watched Episodes 1-8 of Mob Psycho 100 Season 3, and I'm watching My Dress Up Darling after nabbing it for £8 thanks to the Amazon deal link from other forumites here (thanks guys!) :)

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online II episode 1 Huge splash.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day IV: Curse of Chucky, Cult of Chucky, Living With Chucky (Films)

Urusei Yatsura
episodes 19-21, TV Special I: UY All Star Out Attack!, TV Special II: School Excursion!, 22-29

I loved it, the plot and characters were great fun, my only real complaints are how much Gou argued with Anna early on and the lack of nipples on the tiddies. Honestly I think this is way better than Nadesico, and I wouldn't quite put it on a level with Irresponsible Captain Tylor, but I still had a lot of fun with it, and felt that the silliness and more serious aspects were well-balanced, I also enjoyed the various foreign agents with glorious international accents XD I watched it dubbed and I know you prefer subbed, but I did think the dub was very well done - I saw a trailer for this years back and did think it looked potentially quite a lot of fun, and I'd say it lived up to my expectations overall. Fave character probably Shinobu but I was endeared to the whole cast :)

I've now watched Episodes 1-8 of Mob Psycho 100 Season 3, and I'm watching My Dress Up Darling after nabbing it for £8 thanks to the Amazon deal link from other forumites here (thanks guys!) :)
Brilliant. Glad you enjoyed it.
Your quiz for today is who is my favourite character?

I loved My Dress Up Darling so I hope you do.
I do like an opposite slow burn romance occasionally.

Dan Da Dan 01
some great animation & colour work, but why did it have to be so rapey? have been told this is pretty much a one off, it better be.

Blue Box 01
looks very pretty. felt like an old fashioned romance anime, and I was groaning a bit at the tropey end of the episode but will watch a couple more.

Negative Positive Angler 01
this one is ok, nice atmosphere and odd cast of characters giving me Arakawa Under the Bridge vibes. I hate the old man design tho!

365 Days to the Wedding 01
a bit duller than I was hoping, and some of the animation looked cheap. I liked the bit about the girl being a map nerd, a cute unexpected quirk.

Brilliant. Glad you enjoyed it.
Your quiz for today is who is my favourite character?

I loved My Dress Up Darling so I hope you do.
I do like an opposite slow burn romance occasionally.

Anna's mum? 🤔

Yes I'm really enjoying it so far, I'll also say that while I admittedly haven't been closely watching every single second as I'm watching it English dubbed, it doesn't seem all that pervy compared with what I'd heard about it prior to viewing :)

Anna's mum? 🤔

Yes I'm really enjoying it so far, I'll also say that while I admittedly haven't been closely watching every single second as I'm watching it English dubbed, it doesn't seem all that pervy compared with what I'd heard about it prior to viewing :)
You are batting 100%.
Ekaterina second. It was close.

I agree re perviness.
I like to have a look at the BBFC site, to see what I'm to be outraged over.🥵
Too many close ups of boobs and bottoms. And jiggling.
They must count each to decide whether 12 or 15.

You are batting 100%.
Ekaterina second. It was close.

I agree re perviness.
I like to have a look at the BBFC site, to see what I'm to be outraged over.🥵
Too many close ups of boobs and bottoms. And jiggling.
They must count each to decide whether 12 or 15.

Yaaay! (Let's go to the Koushien!) :p

Yeah so far the fanservice is honestly pretty alright and at least they're not overlooking romantic chemistry or characterisation to fixate on it, maybe there is something in the remaining episodes that is really creepy but tbh while I wouldn't watch it with a little kid (mostly cuz of the eroge bits which I know would have upset me at that age, moreso than the regular fanservice elements), it's so far a nice series that I find to be very cute overall (and I also appreciated the variety of cosplayers in body type and gender, and seeing a plus-size woman cosplayer who's outfit Marin loved) :)

Animentary Ketsudan eps 11-20
Magical Taruruuto-kun eps 60-63

(non anime)
Quick-draw Okatsu (movie)
Okatsu the Fugitive (movie)

Last edited:
Ranma 1/2, Episode 1 - Nice to relive this old series. Animation is good, the slapstick humour certainly made me laugh, and I'm relieved that in the English dub that the spring guide doesn't have a dodgy Chinese accent, like in the dub for the original anime.

Dan Da Dan [English Audio] - Episode 1
Knew what I was in for but already setting itself up for a inventive animated series

Ranma 1/2 (2024) [English Audio] - Episode 1
Am mostly unfamiliar with the original, so I will keeping up with this, off to a fun start.
Like the show itself, the dub of the original I know mostly in passing (the animal crackers scene etc), but while it may disappoint some to know that its a total recast on the English side (besides a background appearance of David Kaye), I really liked this cast and they are funny. Suzie Yeung's Ranma in particular stood out and reminded me of her own Yuffie performance (from FF VII Remake and so on) but a bit more bratty.

Last edited:
TRILLION GAME ep1: While I don't dislike Ikegami's art in general, I am not loving the designs in TRILLION GAME; they look flat and oversimplified in a way that really isn't appealing. In any case, this is a more 'grown up' fantasy about a talented computer nerd and a charismatic talker, who team up with the goal of making an insane amount of money in the corporate world. It's quite goofy at times, with a larger than life cast of weirdos to help/hinder our 'heroes' on their path to glory, but the light tone isn't what I'm looking for and neither of the leads were very likeable. Not the worst show of the season by a long shot but not something I feel compelled to continue.

Negative Positive Angler ep1: A down and out guy (whose personality is basically 'isekai LN lead' even though this isn't that kind of show) is not enjoying what remains of his short life after a combination of bad luck and bad life choices, when he ends up crossing paths with a bunch of easygoing urban anglers. They show him the ropes and the next thing he knows he's learning all about their hobby and group, in spite of his gratingly avoidant personality. A lot of attention is invested in the depictions of fishing, with proper techniques and equipment being given a lot of focus. Unfortunately I don't find animals suffering to be tremendously entertaining, so all of the detailed scenes of struggling fish and sharp fishing hooks really left me cold. The rest of this isn't good enough for me to want to overlook the lack of fun that the prominent fishing element contributes.

The Stories of Girls Who Couldn't Be Magicians ep1: In a school where there's a special class for aspiring magicians and an ordinary class for people who didn't manage to qualify, we're introduced to a surprisingly high number of promising wannabe magicians who somehow ended up in the class for ordinary folk. The heroine is particularly crushed by this development as becoming a full-fledged magician had been her dream for years. This series looks really great; it's got a distinctive animation style and I love the Hoshino Lily designs. Most of the first episode was quite tame - a standard 'first day of new school' introduction parade - but it picked up towards the end and there are a few signs that there might be more interesting details/characters to explore. I'll give the show a second episode before making my mind up.

How I Attended an All-Guy's Mixer ep1: A gag comedy about a trio of guys who are spooked when they turn up for a mixer and find that the ladies are all (dressed up as) extremely hot young men. There's a reason for it and the girls have full agency throughout, and in spite of their collective melodramatic panicking it seems that the guys are still interested in learning more about their new, more free-spirited friends as time goes on. In any case, it was funnier than I expected and the girls were hot so I'll keep watching for now. I'm hopeful that the guys will grow as people and that the hints of actual romance might become relevant once all of the freaking out settles down, which feels possible because they were still far better behaved around the girls than most arrogant isekai heroes manage to be.

R

Ranma 1/2 (2024) (English) - Episode 1

Blue Box (Japanese) - Episode 1

DAN DA DAN (English) - Episode 1

Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines! (Japanese) - Episode 1 - 2

Non-Anime

Agatha All Along
- Episode 1 - 2

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War - The
Conflict
episode 393 Everlasting darkness.

Blue Exorcist -Beyond the Snow Saga- episode 1 Helping hands.

Blue Lock Vs. U-20 Japan episode 25 Proving path.

Demon Lord Retry! R episode 2 No introductions.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? V episode 1 Love letter.

Monogatari Series: OFF & Monster Season ONA 12 Investigation.

My Hero Academia 7th Season episode 158 Beautiful smile.

Ooi! Tonbo 2nd Season episode 13 This ended up just being a recap episode so I only skimmed it.

Ranma 1/2 (2024) episode 1 Blush.

The iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors 2nd Season episode 13 Focus.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day V Witchfinder General, The Blood on Satan’s Claw (Films)

Urusei Yatsura
episodes 30-40

Back