Your viewing journal

It’s Always Sunny in Konosuba 3 ep1

Hmm. I was a bit apprehensive about the prospect of Konosuba coming back. Season 2 feels like a lifetime ago and I was not that enamoured with the film, so the third round starting by rehashing one of the film‘s more cringeworthy gags didn’t do much to endear me to it. This does feel very much like a recap episode though, so shall reserve judgement for now. I still enjoy the dumb reaction faces at least.

Kaiju No.8 ep1

Good lord. Production IG really dug deep for this one, it looks amazing. The city with its cool colours and deep shadows interrupted by vast amounts of grue seems to be channeling nothing so much as Akira. I didn’t know what to expect from the plot, so realising that we‘re in for another ‘demon hero’ story did make me roll my eyes a little (”you mean it’s all Devilman?!” “Always has been”), but I can’t see myself not being onboard for the duration.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf (Japanese) - Episode 3

KonoSuba! God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! (Season 3) (Japanese) - Episode 2

Bartender: Glass of God (Japanese) - Episode 3

Bibliophile Princess episodes 10-12 & extra: more lavish set, political intrigue and self-doubt from our princess. Very soppy that will appeal to all the romantics out there. Loved the ending for its variation on the traditional fireworks.

The extra consisted of two male VAs (Christopher and Irvin) trying out some of the skills displayed in the series; riding horses (in a riding school in Shibuya) and sitting in a plush library set eating, drinking and chatting. The voice over is provided by our princess, Elianna. Once again poor Alan, who I['m sure had more screen time that Irvin) is overlooked. It runs for 90 minutes, and was probably broadcast in 10-15 minute segments so there's a bit of repetition/recap. Still it was fun.

Summer Wars Film

Yeah more films. I think the concept of the film is pretty great considering it was made 15(?) years ago now. However the downside is, no visual medium ever makes VRish social media look cool, same for hacking. It’s cool to see the seeds for Belle her though which I thinks pulls this off better (but there was a decent amount of time to develop, so that’s expected).

So basically, the tech side visually and stories is a little weak for me. Still entertaining…

However, I really liked the human and family interactions. I think on this front it beats The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Overall, a fun 2ish hours spent watching a film, no overall complaints (even if it does sound like I’m on a downer for this film).

🌞

Sailor Suit & Machinegun Film

Ok, this one is a live action film but it’s Japanese so I’m gonna do a quick write up.

Definitely a lot more sailor suit than machine gun. The title and cover suggests this will be a bloody affair, but really it wasn’t. It ended up being more a fish out of water coming of age story who is empowered by her new outcast family… but with Yakusa.

The few action sequences are well done but overall I enjoyed the characters and enjoyed this film in a more deep way than I was expecting.

🤵🏻‍♀️ (let’s pretend that’s a Yakusa)

Bartender: Glass of God Episode 2-3

Spice and Wolf (2024) Episode 2.

A Condition Called Love Episode 2

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 Episode 1-2

Astro Note Episode 1-2

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases Episodes 2-4

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability Episode 2

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I’ll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World Episode 2

Hey! Not posted in years but still enjoy jumping on to see what everyone has been watching and thought I would join in! :)

My Hero Academia Episodes 1-12 ( Rewatch)

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Episodes 1-9

Goblin Slayer Season 2 Episode 11-12

An Archdemon’s Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride episode 4 Taking the seat.

A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics episode 3 Heal.

Dungeon Meshi episode 16 Strength.

Yuru Camp△ Season 3 episode 3 On the road.

Ninja Scroll The Series episodes 8-13 (Complete. A decent enough watch overall with one or two standout episodes.) 3/5

No.6
episodes 1-6

Last edited:
An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride Episode 4

Date A Live V Episode 2

Delicious in Dungeon Episode 16

Unnamed Memory Episode 2

Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 37

Yuru Camp△ Season 3
Episode 3

Mobile Suite Gundam: Cucuruz Doan’s Island Film

I must have slept through this going up on Crunchyroll. Damn son, this has everything I want from a Gundam movie, Zakus, Zakus and Zakus. Oh and the little things like a human element to the story, an anti war message and minimal moody teenagers.

Pretty obvious that I enjoyed this. Oh and I also learnt how to milk a goat.

🐐

Astro Note episode 3 Field trip.

Nijiyon Animation 2 episode 3 Cat crazy.

That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime Season 3 episode 51 Expectations.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2 episode 41 To the beach.

The iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors episode 3 Flowers.

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 episode 42 Celebrate.

No.6 episodes 7-11 (Complete. A solid series though one that I wish could have been longer.) 3.5/5

Noir
episodes 1-22

Last edited:
Astro Note Episode 3

HIGHSPEED Étoile Episode 3

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3 Episode 51

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 Episode 3

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II Part 2 Episode 27

Himouto! Umaru-chan R complete series: What joy it is to watch all the outwardly confident, but secretly socially awkward, characters trying to find friends (or love) without ever giving anything away about their own nervousness. There were even a few occasions where Umaru showed signs of maturity. Also, the opening theme is a delight. If only there was a third season.

Spy x Family, Season 1 Eps 1-12 (ie Part 1 on Blu Ray, subtitled)

What a joy this show is! Loved it. On paper, the plot sounds ridiculously contrived - and yet it works perfectly.

Gorgeous animation, and many episodes that had me laughing out loud. The dodgeball episode was a particular highlight, as well a the scene in an early episode where, to avoid spoilers, I'll just say "a grenade is used in an unusual way".

I love the attention to detail in the world building of this show. You're never fully sure of the decade it's based in, or even whether it's a true analogue to a real world decade. The architecture is early 1900s, the fashion is 1930s, but then colour TV and telephones are from much later. Either way, there's clearly been a lot of care and thought put into it. It's all completely believable.

Obviously no prizes for guessing what cold-war country it was actually based off of, especially when the capital city of Ostania is Berlint. It's a little bit on-the-nose for a reference, but it doesn't detract from anything.

The opening theme is already among my top anime themes of all time. I will never skip it.

As for the end theme, I've been a fan of Hoshino Gen for a while now, ever since seeing him in the J-Drama We Got Married As A Job / The Full-Time Wife Escapist, which featured his brilliant song Koi - so at first I was delighted to hear him singing the end theme for Spy x Family. Thinking about it more though, I don't know whether SxF's subdued ending song is the best fit for a fairly high-paced and colorful show. I like the song independently of this anime - but I'm certain there's a more suitable choice for this particular show.

Greatly looking forward to seeing the movie next week!

Back