Your viewing journal

Aim for the top: Gunbuster Complete
Watched this yesterday and today. What a ride through science, tonal shifts and a little heart ache. From the first episode I could not have predicted where this would go after 5 more episodes.

Although, maybe it didn’t quite need that amount of 17 year old boobage going on 🤣 (17 year old me probably would have been fine with it, 40s me feels a lot more creepy).

The final episode was great, although I did have to do a quick google to double check it was supposed to be in b&w 🤣 but the tone was cool and when the action started, that looked cool as hell too. Also, props to the random psychic 🐬

A very enjoyable OVA series that had my brain thinking and my heart doing all the emotions.

Guns busting out 🤖
Boobs busting out 🙈

Gods' Game We Play Episode 2

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability Episode 2

Re:Monster Episode 2

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 2

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases Episode 3

Train to the End of the World Episode 2

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- Season 2 Episode 26

Gods’ Games we Play episode 2 Ambitions.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 2 Different worlds.

Train to the End of the World episode 2 Waves.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 26 Face off.

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 episodes 27-38

Tonbo! ep 1: A perfectly average golfing series. Birdie Wing has set a high bar for the genre but this one is much more conventional in its setup, with a jaded adult golfer meeting a little girl who has developed a love for the game tucked away on her rural island. The first episode doesn't explain a great deal about either character (we get a lot of backstory for Tonbo but not much about her, whereas for Igaiga it's the opposite; he's a man of mystery but we see a lot about how he handles day to day life). I'll definitely forget that this series exists with a week, being hidden away on Amazon Prime, and that's fine because I don't really expect it to go anywhere especially daring as Igaiga encourages his new friend to learn more about golf. As comfy sports titles go, it does the job.

Vampire Dormitory ep 1: I felt mean laughing at this series when it's obviously aimed at a much younger audience but it's completely bonkers at times. The heroine limps sadly through a life that's even more depressing than Tohru's from the beginning of Fruits Basket, being randomly misgendered by so many people that it's impossible not to assume that it's a plot point, and then the weird vampire guy shows up and it's impossible to keep a straight face. Vampires subsisting on strawberry juice? Having to deal with a vampire-staffed butler cafe as well as a vampire-infested boarding school? Plot twists so aggressively telegraphed that I already feel as though I can guess the story of the entire series? I will give it credit for being more realistic than most vampire shows though and having the lead enthusiastically agree to becoming a thrall; we need more acknowledgement of the Internet's unending thirst for vampires instead of characters always playing hard to get. And I like the implications behind a person's blood tasting better the more they're loved rather than the usual mindless virgin nonsense; it's a nice story beat. I doubt this will be a keeper, though.

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I’ll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World ep 1: In spite of the astonishing lack of ambition in the title and concept of this very middle-of-the-road isekai series, I didn't hate it. There is nothing original here and the worldbuilding is stultifying - yet it's all animated with such enthusiasm that I find myself unable to dislike the precocious reincarnated lead as he bounces charmingly through life appraising his powerful dad's underlings and correcting their career paths. Even though the concept of everyone having fixed aptitudes which are set in stone at birth like game NPCs is fundamentally depressing. It helped that the characters are reasonably well-written, by isekai standards, and even though there is fantasy racism and awkwardly-written slavery (again) the slave character is genuinely cool rather than a simpering damsel. I think what helped to make this a stronger first episode is that it resisted introducing the sexy character right away and focused on the reincarnated kid's relationship with his dad, giving everything a grounding which most other isekai shows skip in their haste to get to the fun stuff.

R

Metallic Rouge - Episodes 1 - 7

This was another show from last season I wanted to watch as I am normally a big fan of Studio Bones' work but I have been intrigued by some of the commentary around it. After a good start the plot really does kinda go off the rails during episodes 4 & 5.

Lord of Lords Ryu Knight - Episodes 37 - 45

Despite some episodes treading ground somewhat as characters power up for the big finale, Ryu Knight has continued to be an intense and engaging series.

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I’ll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World Episode 1. I'm a big Isekai fan, and this one seems to be fairly interesting so far, so I will continue watching.

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers Episode 1. Well, this Isekai was a bit lame, maybe even a bit childish - something just seemed to be off in the story or the script that just didn't flow properly for me. I'll watch another episode yet to see if this is going to be one that I drop.

I was also going to watch the new Bartender episode last night as well, but then I looked at the time and it was 1:30 am(!), so I had to get to bed for work today, lol.

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise Film

Really glad to have finally seen this. I love the world building of older anime, for some reason they always hit right for me (got to love some nostalgia for an era). Royal Space Force didn’t disappoint in that regard. Also, I love that Lhadatt starts off as a disaffected adult and then grows from there, even if he still ***** up along the way. It’s great to see in contrast to the usual plucky hero.

I’m going to let this one sink in and then have a rewatch sometime soon I think. I definitely missed plot details just looking at the amazing details in the film and there was only so much rewinding I could do before destroying the pace of the film.

On first watch, Royal Space Force hit all my good time buttons.

Ten, nine, eight… I’m too lazy to time the whole thing… 🚀

Space Dandy Season 1 complete

I didn’t realise I only had one episode left of this, otherwise I would have waited and posted both at the same time… I know I could have edited it… but buttons, I’d have to press them.

I don’t know why I ignored this show for so long. It’s pretty much my ideal humour for a comedy show, weirdness ✅ random but indepth science ✅ pop culture ✅ and stupid childish jokes about boobs and butts ✅

That said, the final episode was my favourite. I know QT’s voice isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but that episode was my cup of coffee. The zombie, space race and chameleon episodes were also strong contenders. Come to think of it, I don’t think there was any weak episodes.

I’m definitely looking forward to watching season two.

Dandy 💇🏻

Oblivion Battery episode 1 Idle idols.

Rinkai! episode 1 Limits.

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 episode 39, Natsume's Book of Friends Season 4 episodes 40-52, Natsume's Book of Friends: Nyanko-Sensei and the First Errand Special, Natsume's Book of Friends: On a Certain Snowy Day OVA

Last edited:
Silver Spoon Season 2 Episodes 2-11 COMPLETE (English subbed) - What a great SOL series, I like the way it gently raised it's moral questions about animal agriculture and humanised everyone involved, and enjoyed watching Hachiken grow as a person, and learning about the process of curing bacon, making cheese etc. Hopefully I'll read the manga someday as well :)

Miraculous Ladybug Season 1 COMPLETE (English dubbed) - Lovely magical girl/superhero series with great CGI animation, I saw the first episode years ago and didn't really get into it but I decided to give it another try and I appreciated it a lot more this time (I did start with Episode 2 rather than rewatching Episode 1), I particularly enjoy the cute flirty dynamic between Ladybug/Marinette and Cat Noir/Adrien. Honestly I preferred this to Sailor Moon (Season 1 of the OG one haven't seen beyond that or SM Crystal yet) in some ways :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2 Episodes 21-22 COMPLETE (REWATCH) - It's interesting watching this again in that it's very well crafted but there's more like, quasi-monster of the week episodes in the second half than I remembered, however this makes sense as they still contribute to character growth for various members of the gang and also represent Buffy's internal conflict over doing what she has to even when it really tears her up inside emotionally. Was a great season, not hard to see how this show became so enduringly popular. On to Season 3, though I suspect friend B and I might make slower progress going forward as the series becomes more heavy emotionally :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3 Episode 1 (REWATCH) - Def a strong start to the new season and also a nice change of pace as this is one of a small number of episodes NOT set in Sunnydale. A certain pivotally important soon to be introduced character reminds me of my estranged sister and we watched Buffy a lot together growing up so it will be kind of hard watching this season for me for that reason, but I am still up for watching to the end of the series again with my friend B :)

Helluva Boss Season 2 Episodes 5-7 - With friend B, oh how I wish there was more of Hazbin and Helluva right now haha, ah well, patience is a virtue :)

The Owl House Season 1 Episodes 1-3 - Now we've finished Hazbin/Helluva (for now) me and friend B are watching this together, it's very good so far with lovely animation and an interesting central pairing in Luz and Edalyn (King is also a lot of fun), this kind of reminds me of Summer Camp Island but a bit less laid back/more plot-driven as it seems to me they are building up to something :)

Disenchantment Season 5 Episodes 1-2 - I find this hard to watch because of all the trauma stuff but it's still def something I will bother to finish :)

Fate/Zero Episodes 5-10 (REWATCH, English dubbed) - Great series and I really dig Rider he's my fave servant though I also have a lot of respect for Saber, was nice having a Rin-focused episode as well :)

Kim Possible Season 1 Episodes 1-7 - This is pleasantly entertaining but a bit underwhelming so it's kind of dropped, more in the sense of "if I do finish it it will be very slowly, when I need some light relief from darker more disturbing shows" rather than "it sucked and I hate it". I like Kim and Ron but the plots for the episodes could be better, I'd say at this point I prefer M. Ladybug for this type of show :)

Silver Spoon Season 2 Episodes 2-11 COMPLETE (English subbed) - What a great SOL series, I like the way it gently raised it's moral questions about animal agriculture and humanised everyone involved, and enjoyed watching Hachiken grow as a person, and learning about the process of curing bacon, making cheese etc. Hopefully I'll read the manga someday as well :)

Miraculous Ladybug Season 1 COMPLETE (English dubbed) - Lovely magical girl/superhero series with great CGI animation, I saw the first episode years ago and didn't really get into it but I decided to give it another try and I appreciated it a lot more this time (I did start with Episode 2 rather than rewatching Episode 1), I particularly enjoy the cute flirty dynamic between Ladybug/Marinette and Cat Noir/Adrien. Honestly I preferred this to Sailor Moon (Season 1 of the OG one haven't seen beyond that or SM Crystal yet) in some ways :)

The manga is worth your time. It’s a shame the mangaka had to take so many breaks while creating it, so there is a weird time skip but it all ended well once that part was sorted. More of a real life getting in the way than bad writing though.

I’m not sure how I feel about Ladybug, my daughter got really into it last summer so I had a lot of it on at times in the morning that are designed for silence. More of a it’s me and not you thing thanks to early morning (1st world problem). The films are a fun time. We watched some of them randomly but they were fun and I don’t think continually really matter all that much.

Back