Your viewing journal

City Hunter: Goodbye Sweetheart [aka City Hunter: The Motion Picture] (1996)

City Hunter: Death of the Vicious Criminal Ryo Saeba (1999)

Friend was showing some more City Hunter TV specials, this time the later ones from the 90s (I arrived too late for Secret Service, although I have seen that one before). Perhaps they felt the formula was in need of updating by this point, as both films seem to be aiming for something on a bigger scale than the series, with Goodbye Sweetheart seeing Ryo and Kaori chasing a bomber holding Shinjuku to ransom, while Vicious Criminal pits Ryo against a media tycoon using fake news footage to frame him as a murderer.

Both were a good time though; the production quality is excellent, with some great work on reaction faces and plenty of attention paid to superfluous detail. This is particularly true of Goodbye Sweetheart, which I think is one of the best looking things I’ve seen across the entire franchise, and could easily have been a cinema release instead of a TV special. My only minor complaint is that the iconic city pop / jazz soundtrack has been dropped in favour of slightly non-descript hard rock.

It’s a shame that this was the end of the original run for the City Hunter anime, although it’s nice that they finished on a high.

Fist of the North Star: Raoh Gaiden Junai-hen (2006)

The first of five FotNS films from the 2000s which seem to be generally less-seen, but well regarded by fans, this one is a retelling of Souther's arc from the original series, seeing Kenshiro fighting to take down the self-styled holy emperor who is hell-bent on building a pyramid-like mausoleum using slave labour, while receiving unexpected assistance from adversary Raoh. I actually never made it far enough into the TV anime to see this part, so I can't be entirely sure how faithful it is, but as a self-contained film, I think it works surprisingly well. You couldn't really show it to anyone unfamiliar with the series (you really at least need to know the story up to Raoh's introduction), but you certainly get all the main themes and spectacle one would associate with FotNS, in a narrative that feels complete and not over-stuffed.

This actually made me curious to try the TV series again sometime. I got burnt out on it around episode 40 or so, just due to the repetitive nature of the early episodes, but seeing this made me more curious about 'the good part' which comes later, particularly as Raoh seems to be a more complex character than I was originally giving the series credit for.

Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story- Season 2 episode 22 Beyond the limit.

Mashle: Magic and Muscles episode 8 Just the beginning.

Otaku Elf episode 9 Umbrella.

Rokudo’s Bad Girls episode 9 Standing firm.

Too Cute Crisis episode 9 Picking a new pet.

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You 2nd Season episode 22 Correcting.

Aoi Bungaku Series episodes 4-12 (Complete. A collection of modern Japanese literary adaptations that mostly had something to offer.) 3/5

Appleseed OVA (Rewatch)
A solid OVA that spawned an enjoyable franchise. 3.5/5

Arata the Legend
episodes 1-6

Last edited:
How Not To Summon a Demon Lord S2
Episode 7
Angels of Death

Episodes 15+16
Finished, probably a few episodes too long. The ending 🤔😠
Beautiful Bones
Episode 6 😍
Arifureta S2
Episodes 3+4
Combatants will be Dispatched
Episodes 9-12
Finished. Not as funny as it thinks it is.
Nudity would have helped.

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigations S1
Episodes 4+5

I set up ITVX for my mum and dad.
Mainly so I could watch Episode 1 of Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water.
Wish today's acting was as good as this.
Will continue for the baddy. Hubba Hubba.
Gave me Willy Fogg vibes. Then I found it was a Spanish Japanese production.

Tawawa on Monday S1
Binged. Quite a relaxing show but I'm wondering if I should be creeped out by the plot? Oh well, never mind. No one seems bothered that Date a Live has a 14 year old showing her panties in the first 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Beautiful Bones
Episode 6 😍

Gave my Willy Fogg vibes. Then I found it was a Spanish Japanese production.

Judging from the emoticon you must be enjoying Beautiful Bones. I really need to re-watch that series sometime, I loved it - plus she's a hottie!

I'm sorry, but it gave your willy... what?!? 🤔 😁

Gave my Willy Fogg vibes. Then I found it was a Spanish Japanese production.

I loved the English dub for Nadia the Secret of Blue Water :)

Me or My tho? 🤔 🤣 I keep meaning to watch Around the World with Willy Fog it looked so fun! :)

I have the Nadia UE on pre-order - if it ever ships sometime before I die... 😒

I've only seen the first episode, though, and it seemed to be a bit too much of a children's Saturday Morning cartoon for me, so I'm not sure if I'll keep my order for this or cancel it. Does the story get any more mature later on? I'm a bit beyond children's cartoons now.

Then I found it was a Spanish Japanese production.
Nadia? Couldn't find mention of any foreign companies involved on Wikipedia, but it was influenced by Around the World in 80 Days apparently: "This series' origins date to the mid-1970s when Hayao Miyazaki was hired by Toho to develop a television series. One of these concepts was "Around the World in 80 days by Sea""
Around the World with Willy Fog
Was a Spanish-Japanese production! One of many Euro-Japanese shows in the 80s that I watched as kid including Dogtanian and the 3 Muskehounds by the same 2 companies, and Ulysses 31 (DIC (French at the time) and TMS) and Mysterious Cities of Gold by DIC and Studio Pierrot!

I have the Nadia UE on pre-order - if it ever ships sometime before I die... 😒

I've only seen the first episode, though, and it seemed to be a bit too much of a children's Saturday Morning cartoon for me, so I'm not sure if I'll keep my order for this or cancel it. Does the story get any more mature later on? I'm a bit beyond children's cartoons now.
It gets a lot more apocalyptic in later episodes, falls apart for about half a dozen episodes on the island, then comes together for a satisfying finale.

Master Of Study episodes 11-16 and end: excellent series about forcing teenagers to study to get into the top Korean university. Not as many laughs as Love Hina, but some excellent moments of dramatic tension (maybe just a few too many moments). Loved actor Bae Doona and her "tcha's" which expressed a wide range of emotions.

Non Non Biyori episodes 1-6: ahhh, the perfect stress relief, set in a school where nobody even mentions trying to get into uni. I think I may have to order seasons 2 and 3 and the movie. Maybe they'll be on special at Christmas.... :)

A Galaxy Next Door Episode 9 Persistence.

EDENS ZERO 2nd Season Episode 35 A new power.

My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv 999 Episode 10 Cruel and caring.

Summoned to Another World for a Second Time Episode 9 Possesed.

The Dangers in My Heart Episode 10 Christmas date.

KonoSuba! An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (Japanese) - Episode 9

Hell's Paradise (Japanese) - Episode 3 - 9

Mob Psycho 100 (Season 3) (Japanese) - Episode 6 - 12 (Complete)

My Hero Academia (Season 6) (Japanese) - Episode 120 - 121

Mob Psycho 100 ended perfectly, an all around fantastic series. Reigen once again is the star of the show but really loved Dimple as well this season, more than before. All the cast were great as always though but they're my standouts.

Hell’s Paradise episode 9 Accompany.

MIX: Meisei Story Season 2 episode 34 Bandages.

Arata the Legend episodes 7-12 (Complete. Some good ideas in concept but less so in execution.) 3/5

Astra Lost in Space (Rewatch)
episodes 1-12 (Complete. A highlight from when it aired and still a fun watch.) 4/5

At the Mercy of the Sky
episodes 1-6

BIRDIE WING s2 e9
Push the limits.

Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc ep 9
Lost in the mist.

Yamada-kun ep 10
High fever.

Hell's Paradise ep 9
Monstrous gods.

Non Non Biyori episodes 7-12: so relaxing. If only all crises could be that trivial.

The Host: Korean giant monster horror film starring three of the cast members of Master of Study. Excellently scary with overly jaunty music on the end credits. Got it from CEX and was confused to see it said disc one on the DVD. Scrolling further down the page I find there is also a 2 disc version, which is actually 50p cheaper!

Back