Your viewing journal

Super Cub ep5

Reiko is an interesting foil for Koguma, being far more ambitious and outgoing, but I do find she needs a little more suspension of disbelief as a character, compared to how grounded Koguma seems to come across by comparison (minor case in point: I found it hard to believe she could come off her bike that many times without suffering a more serious injury).

Just as an aside, it also amused me that Reiko looked up the specs for a trails bike with the designation ‘CT Hunter’, which she reads as “Ceetee Hunter”. I wonder if Tsukasa Hojo ever owned one...

Odd Taxi ep5

Ariel Deluxe OVA 1-2

A charming and whimsical little series that, while grounded firmly in the late 80s, seems to be looking fondly back at classic tokusatsu-style sci-fi, I really enjoyed Ariel, it’s just a shame that the overall experience is like getting only the middle few episodes of a much longer show. It feels like we’ve just been introduced to these characters and seen a little glimpse into their world before it’s all over. I think it would make for an interesting companion piece alongside a viewing of Gunbuster though.

Last edited:
Just FranXX My **** Up - Episode 1

screenshot000.jpg
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. Did this show seriously make an obscure reference to my very favourite manga in the first 10 minutes of its runtime? Because unless fast swimming, fish catching, near-feral, no-shame-having naked women are otherwise part of Japanese legend or folklore (and if they are, I'll have learned something) I instantly recognised that particular set of attributes, as would my namesake. Hell, she even managed to pull off a surprise win in the ayasebowl back in the day. ayase likes very much.

screenshot002.jpg
I am relieved, going into FranXX knowing virtually nothing other than that they get (it on) in the damn robot and that Zero Two seems to be quite a divisive character, that the show is wearing its sex and relationship themes firmly on its sleeve. My worst fear was that it would be overt in its unsubtle imagery while failing to address these things in dialogue, which is something that does happen and can be tiresome. But with the marriage and divorce allusions already (and plenty of internal monologuing from Hiro on the subject of partnerships and dependence) I'm currently happy with the tone it appears to be striking. I already like Zero Two. Hiro's going to take a little warming up to (seriously man, you meet a naked woman who's totally happy to be naked in your presence and also seems pretty into you and you shy away from her and tell her to put some clothes on? Not relatable).

screenshot004.jpg
Juzo Kabuto survived after all! Or is it Dr. Wily? Or are they all the same person? Either way, the man has clearly perfected his craft. That's a shapely mech.

Jesus though, that subtitling where Hiro was monologuing over the top of a speech. "'You're the chosen ones', Papa said. My children, you have had the as far back as we can remember, good fortune to be chosen as parasites we children had code numbers assigned to us, your great predecessors defended and we were told that piloting weapons called our cities and our people..." etc. etc. Please, disc mastering people, when something like that is happening move one set of lines the TOP of the screen or at least use different colours.

Last edited:
This week I've been mainly watching the first season of Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, episodes 1 to 26

Typical fighting anime so far (good guys vs the bad guys), but is enjoyable enough as the fights vary with the characters fighting.

2nd season will come this week.

Back Arrow episode 18 Dust.

Blue Reflection Ray episode 5 App.

Burning Kabaddi episode 6 Chase.

So I'm a Spider, So What? episode 17 Labyrinth.

SSSS.DYNAZENON episode 6 Frustrations.

The World Ends with You The Animation episode 5 Guide.

Those Snow White Notes episode 6 Apprentices.

Also continued my Miami Vice rewatch.

So I'm a Spider, So What (English Dub) Episode 12

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (English Dub) Episode 11

Blue Reflection Ray Episode 5

So I'm a Spider, So What? Episode 17

SSSS.DYNAZENON Episode 6

Just finished off the Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story tonight. It really ramped up in the last couple of episodes, and ended on a big cliffhanger - I'm really looking forward to a Season 2 now. I do think this one is going to get really interesting!

Fireworks (Japanese audio) - Film
Girlish Number (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-12 (Completed)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-5

Anime:Acquired:Format:Status:
FireworksDecember 2018FilmFinished
Girlish NumberDecember 2020TV Series 1 courFinished
HyoukaNovember 2017
March 2019
TV Series 2 coursFinished
In Another World With My SmartphoneFebruary 2019TV Series 1 courFinished
Mobile Suit Gundam WingAugust 2019
October 2019
TV Series 4 coursWatching
Owarimonogatari Season 2January 2021TV Series 1 courPlanned
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't ExistDecember 2018TV Series 1 courFinished
Zoku OwarimonogatariJanuary 2021TV Series 1 courPlanned

Burning Kabaddi- episode 6

Those Snow White Notes- episode 6

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season- episode 4

The World Ends With You The Animation- episode 5

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level- episode 5

86- episode 5 wow things are getting super interesting.

Horimiya (English Dub) Episode 13 (Complete)

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 5

86 EIGHTY-SIX Episode 5 Voices.

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! Episode 5 Imperfect.

Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro Episode 5 Snip and sip.

EDENS ZERO Episode 5

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level Episode 5 Possessed.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 7 Full throttle.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song Episode 7 Another songstress.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 27 Desire and ambition.

86 EIGHTY-SIX episode 5 Static shock.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro episode 5 Shave & sun.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level episode 5 In the past.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 95 New style.

Shadows House episode 5 Debut.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- episode 7 Past.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 4 Ambition & expectation.

Continued my Miami Vice rewatch.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S Short Animation S Short Animation Series Episode 5 - love the episode name
I've Been Killing Slimes For 300 Years And Maxed Out My Level Episode 5
My Hero Academia S5 Episode 5
The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 5
Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro Episode 5
One Piece
Episodes 169 - 171

/umiko

Farewell, My Dear Cramer ep 6
Muscle.
Quite a fun episode as the series has been in general, but we're halfway through and they haven't played a competitive game yet!

Cestvs: The Roman Fighter ep 4
Beat down.

To Your Eternity ep 4
A new experience.

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood ep 6
Reborn.

Those Snow White Notes ep 6
Motivation.

86 ep 5
Black sheep.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro ep 5
Shearing and shavings.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 198 Aggressor.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! episode 6 Truce.

Dragon Goes House-Hunting episode 6 MIA.

Farewell, My Dear Cramer episode 6 Fighting fair?

Moriarty The Patriot 2nd Cour episode 17 Upsetting the chain.

Nomad: Megalo Box 2 episode 6 Fixing.

Ayakishi: Samurai Horror Tales episodes 1-11 (Complete. A trio of stories told across 11 total episodes. The first and final stories were decent though the middle one wasn’t as good to me. The final story also acts as a precursor of sorts to the series Mononoke, which I still need to watch.) 3/5

Last edited:
Back