Your viewing journal

Cute Executive Officer eps 1-13 (complete)
A fun set of shorts following a CEO who happens to be a 5 year old! Quite funny in places with plenty of randomness, but not too random.
7/10

Kemono Jihen
ep 1
Another really good first episode. I do like stories with a supernatural edge and the art is really nice. The characters have a slight retro feel to their design.

Otherside Picnic ep 2
Glitch.

Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki s3 e1
Rainy day.

Attack on Titan Final Season ep 5
Show stopper.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby s2 e2
Rehab.

Non Non Biyori Nonstop ep 1
Nyan-pasu!

So I decided to bite the bullet and watch the first episode of EX-ARM Episode 1. It kinda feels like a student project and not a professional production, but with a bit of budget thrown behind it. I would approximate it's production quality as a few steps above RWBY or at least the earlier seasons that I've seen.

It's certainly not the worst thing ever deserving of the flood of 1/10s applied to it, heck the MAL rating is currently 2.35 but then again those users are petty and just hate rate things. Compared to like Armor Shop for Ladies and Gentlemen II, which is currently rated 5.54, Ex-Arm is actually watchable even if it feels amateurish.

Overall it feels like it has a budget behind it, but made by people who don't know how to use it properly. I will keep watching as at least the story seems like it will be somewhat interesting.

Black Clover episode 159 Consume.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season episode 25 Rimuru’s return.

Yatogame-Chan, Kansatsu Nikki 3 episode 1 Another season of shorts awaits.

Sabagebu! -Survival Game club!- episodes 4-12 & Shorts (Complete. A silly comedy about a “survival club” and their action-fuelled antics. Not much to add really, it was a fun anime.) 3.5/5

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime S2 Episode 24.9 & 25 - Yay Rimuru! /o/
Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki S3 Episode 1
Mr. Osomatsu S3 Episode 3

/umiko

I finished wading through this season's first episodes for now. This batch fared a little better overall. In order of worst to best (in my completely subjective opinion)...

LBX Girls: A mess of CG and squeaky bishoujo with a plot that makes no sense at all. Best left in the hands of the mecha musume fans who can probably mine some enjoyment out of whatever the heck I just watched.
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki: An arrogant jerk whines about how hard his life is compared to Smash Bros and then gets rightfully yelled at for being entitled, which surprisingly convinces him to try harder instead of continuing to mope. It's like a worse-looking version of Horimiya where the main character sucks but there's a glimmer of hope on the horizon. I feel that I am likely to be disappointed given the number of identical-looking doe-eyed beauties drifting around who seem set to become his harem in short order.
2.43 Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team: Why did they release this right on the back of Haikyuu!! when it makes it impossible to avoid the obvious comparisons? This one follows a slightly different formula - the volleyball club is in a worse state than Karasuno's was at the start - but it's similar enough to make its shortcomings stand out. All of the elements which are different are a grab-bag from other school club shows. There are even similar themes in the background story about the arrogant setter trying to put his past behind him. The unnecessary drama between the weak-willed lead's irrationally clingy cousin and new volleyball friend dragged on way too much for my taste. It's more-or-less watchable but I'm out.
Wave!! It's not terrible but the unnecessary abuse of CG makes this a real eyesore at times. Weirdly the scenes in the surf shop just reminded me of Grand Blue Dreaming and reminded me that these shows are better when they have more personality. Between the unexpressive characters and excessive CG everything felt sort of clinical for a show that is supposed to be about breezy beach sports. It was a weird decision to air this in the middle of winter too; Free! worked well because its shots of blue water looked delicious during the sticky summer whereas seeing people surfing in January just makes me feel cold! Also, why can't the lead stop blushing?!
Mushoku Tensei: My expectations were low after the tripe that was Hidden Dungeon but this one was much better, interspersing the bitter, entitled monologues with charming scenes of country fantasy life. The main character is a grumpy loser as usual but he seemed reconciliatory after one episode so I might give this another episode to see where his story is headed, since it's kind of hard to tell while he's still a little kid.
Idoly Pride: Very pretty designs compared to the other glut of idol shows this season and it reminds me more of The Idolm@ster (this is a compliment). I saw the Plot coming a mile away and the music isn't catchy enough to keep me watching but it's head and shoulders better than the competition so far.
Kemono Jihen: A weird guy who doesn't know how to wear sunglasses properly takes the audience through a modern day supernatural mystery. It's not especially mysterious so I'm not really sure how to categorise it... mild horror? Anyway, the show is a little bit retro and not the prettiest title around, but it's got promise. It might be a slow starter.
Wonder Egg Priority: An interesting take on a lot of the other ideas circulating this season. There are superficial similarities with Otherwise Picnic in the setup, except here an isolated girl finds herself in surreal surroundings as she struggles to figure out what friendship means to her and confront the things she's lost. Not sure that it will make the cut for me but I might pick it up again if it delves deeper into the weirdness later on.
Bungo Stray Dogs Wan: From the title I assumed that this whole thing was going to be about dogs and dog puns but they dumped that concept early on in the first episode and switched to more conventional gags about the characters, which was a relief. I'm not a massive Bungo Stray Dogs superfan or anything but it's entertaining enough for ten minutes a week of my time. If the dog stuff reasserts itself full time I'll drop it.
SK8 the Infinity: Ah, this is exactly what I wanted from Back Arrow - total craziness and zero attempt to be serious. It's colourful and flashy and so, so dumb. I don't give a fig about skateboarding and yet I'm going to enjoy every single episode of this. Even the stupid ending sequence is great. RIP to the actual skating fans who wanted a faithful adaptation of their hobby and got this feast of bombastic insanity instead.
The Promised Neverland s2: I already knew I'd like this since I enjoyed the first season. Even though it was ages ago, the choice of break point made it very easy to remember everything that happened back in 2019 so I'm curious how this will play out.

I'm not watching EX-ARM. Not sure whether I want to bother with Hi-Dive just to get angry at Redo of Healer either.

R

Lupin III: Part 2 ep25-26 (English dub)

A decent closer to the first season, with 25 seeing Lupin and Jigen duped into fighting a duel with each other. Also notable for bringing back a villain from an earlier episode, although sadly he's quite ordinary and wasn't particularly memorable.

26 is actually the episode famously omitted from the Adult Swim broadcast of the series (by the Japanese order, I think it was episode 3) due to inclusion of nazi imagery. That surprised me, given that one of the later episodes also had Lupin fighting the nazis, but this one does seem to have a lot more superflous focus on symbols and pariphernalia. It also ends with an etching of hitler winking at the audience while what appears to be a soundbyte of him plays in the background, so I imagine that is probably why they pulled it.

Bean Bandit (short)

This was more or less what I expected from the preview they showed on Kickstarter way back when. Sonoda's art still looks well, but the action direction just isn't very interesting. I know the micro budget must make things hard, but a lot of shots go on for so long as to feel padded out, and the chase lacks any real flair. It's also just a bit grubby, if I'm honest - anyone familiar only with the Gunsmith Cats anime, rather than the manga, might be in for a bit of culture shock.

Nora
Twinkle Nora, Rock Me!

I've been curious about that one, as I know one of the Nora OVAs has featured in a few clickbaity 'worst anime ever' type youtube videos, but I'd been saving it for watching with my unsavoury pals when we met up again and... yeah, that might be a while away yet :/

Hortensia SAGA episode 2 Maids and legends.

Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table episode 1 Conflicts.

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 episode 40 Alone time.

Seiyu’s Life! episodes 1-9

Redo of Healer ep 1
Nothing too controversial so far, apart from heavily censoring a sex scene dispite the TV-MA warning! I will say that they didn't really hammer home his suffering and if they don't tone down his actions in revenge, then he'll just come off as a sick and twisted bastard as his extreme treatment by others is the reason he goes to such extremes in revenge (from what I've heard of the manga).

Wonder Egg Priority ep 1
Dreams and Nightmares.
Well that was certainly surreal. Wonder what craziness awaits. It certainly wants to bang home its anti-bullying theme. The art is great, loved the character designs.

Re:ZERO s2 p2 e2
The first part was a bit out of nowhere, Otto suddenly growing a spine and a super power! But the second half is one of the best confessions I've seen in anime, which puts the episode up there with episode 4 of part 1, shame the rest has been pretty dull and repetitive.

LBX Girls: A mess of CG and squeaky bishoujo with a plot that makes no sense at all. Best left in the hands of the mecha musume fans who can probably mine some enjoyment out of whatever the heck I just watched.
If you have dropped it already I recommend at least checking out episode 2. It has much less CG and goes in depth explaining the world.

I found it quite interesting how:
It's not just an isekai, but appears to be a multiverse isekai where each girl is from an alternative version of Earth where there are varying differences between each version.

Chidori RSC (Rifle is Beautiful) (English Dub) Episode 3

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime OVA (English Dub Episode 5 (Complete)

LBX Girls Episode 2

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 40

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Episode 24.9 & 25

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 Episode 2

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! Episode 1

Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 3 Episode 1

Megalobox - eps 1-4

Loving this so far, the art style reminds me of 90’s anime, especially Cowboy Bebop... the background art gives me the same vibes. Impressed by the characters aswell especially Joe... the sarcastic git 😂

Megalobox - eps 1-4

Loving this so far, the art style reminds me of 90’s anime, especially Cowboy Bebop... the background art gives me the same vibes. Impressed by the characters aswell especially Joe... the sarcastic git 😂
That's what I said! Lol
Megalo Box
Amazing feels like it's from the era of animes like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Loved the group dynamics, the characters, the animation and music.

Dr. Stone s2 e1
A skeezy plan.

Cells at Work s2 e2
Forgetfulness and faking it.

Cells at Work BLACK ep 2
Liver-ing it up.

The Promised Neverland s2 e2
Training.

Heaven's Design Team ep 2
Cute, but not cute.

Yuru Camp△ s2 e2
Akemashiteomedetōgozaimasu
Initial D reference:
Eurobeat intensifies
PS_App_20210114_080154.jpeg
PS_App_20210114_080208.jpeg

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK episode 2 Drink.

Cells at Work! 2nd Season episode 2 Second Sight.

Dr. Stone: Stone Wars episode 1 Freeze-dry.

Heaven's Design Team episode 2 Battle.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 15 Itch.

The Promised Neverland 2nd Season episode 14 A human side?

Yuru Camp△ 2nd Season episode 2 First sunrise.

Seiyu’s Life! episodes 10-13 (Complete. This had a fairly predictable storyline but still provided decent enough entertainment - the real life VA appearances were neat too.) 3.5/5

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist
episodes 1-4

Last edited:
The Promised Neverland Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 2
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 2
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? (Japanese audio) - Episode 2

No.Anime Name:Eps.
Seen:
Ep.
Total:
Airing:
1​
Attack on Titan: The Final Season
(Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season)
5​
16​
Sundays 8:45pm
2​
BEASTARS Season 2
1​
12​
N/A
3​
Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
(Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Gou)
13​
24​
Thursdays 4:30pm
4​
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Part 1
(Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu)
1​
12​
Sundays 4:00pm
5​
The Promised Neverland Season 2
(Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season)
2​
11​
Wednesdays 3:00pm
6​
The Quintessential Quintuplets II
(5-toubun no Hanayome ∬)
1​
12​
Thursdays 9:00pm
7​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2
(Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2)
2​
12​
Wednesdays 3:30pm
8​
So I'm a Spider, So What?
(Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?)
1​
24​
Fridays 2:30pm
9​
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town?
(Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari)
2​
12​
Mondays 2:30pm

Back