Your viewing journal

Goblin Slayer ep 12 (complete)
The battle rages on with various fights including Goblin Slayer vs the Goblin Lord, although it's Priestess Girl who has to come and save the day. The ending was actually fairly moving.
Overall I liked the fact Goblin Slayer wasn't a completely OP protagonist like you get in isekai shows. He needed strong tactics, and over the course of the season, he discovered that he needed comrades and he still was nearly defeated a few times. Most of the fights were very good with some good choreography. The only problem was that first episode, which went a bit OTT with the "aren't we edgy!" stuff.
8/10

Persona 5 the Animation: Dark Sun (special)
Art and animation seemed to be a bit better at least on the close ups. Even as a double length episode it seemed a tad rushed still, but as it tells an important part of the story overall it felt better than the main series.

Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight ep 12 (complete)
The big bad gets dispatched really quickly and then everything is fine. The End.
I don't mind alternate histories or history with a twist, but with the changes made in this one (including changing most of the historical figures into cute anime girls and a massive out of nowhere twist at the end) it may as well have been set in some fantasy world. The 2 MCs at least were the right gender, although they invented a way for the male MC (based on a historical figure who raped and murdered children!) to have to constantly kiss the female MC (a loli based on a historical figure who was a child!). Oh, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the subs used the French baiser instead of kiss when she asked for one, but looking it up I came across the Wiktionary entry which said that it can also be used as slang for "to f***"!!! The animation and fight scenes were nothing to write home about and the CGI was poor.
3/10

Seems Hinamaru Sumo, SAO: Alicization, Karakuri Circus and Tsurune all had a break. Can't believe they gave Tsurune a break with it being behind already. The others are just gaps between cours.

Iroduku 12-13 [END]

That was rather sad, but expected. So the anime started with a interesting premise, didn't exactly evolve much from there, it felt poorly paced as well. The character didn't exactly felt alive, and lacked proper character. The character design, the faces in particular never grew on me, they are weird, the eyes are too off. But somehow the mix of beautiful backgrounds and overall feeling of the show felt right and it was powerful when it counted the most. I'm divided, but the emotional impact those last couple minutes with the insert song had on me can't be ignored, it's above average 6/10.

Genius Party - Since this is a different kind of project I'll rate based on each story.
  1. Genius Party - 7/10 - A creative intro that's more like a music video really. A good start
  2. Shanghai Dragon - 8/10 - An fun sci-fi with great mecha design from Shoji Kawamori
  3. Deathtic 4 - 5/10 - Very unique visual style with a story that just kinda happens
  4. Doorbell - 5/10 - Interesting but it far outstayed it's welcome with some awkward directing choices
  5. Limit Cycle - 2/10 - 18 minutes of pointless drivel
  6. Happy Machine - 4/10 - Not too sure what to make of this one
  7. Baby Blue - 8/10 - Funny how the most normal story is one of the best
Overall a visually interesting collection of shorts marred by the quality of some stories. 6/10

Hanasaku Iroha episodes 22-26 (Complete) - A fantastic series from PA Works and one of Mari Okada's best scripts. The characters were all pretty fun and well developed, especially Ohana who is easily one of the best protagonists I've seen. There is a good balance between the slice-of-life and drama elements of the series with both working effectively to show the everyday life working at the inn while also driving the plot forward and developing the characters. As expected from PA Works, the animation really well done and the character designs are nice to look at. I look forward to watching it at a slower pace in future since CR pretty much forced me to rush it. 9/10

Goblin Slayer episode 12 (Complete) - Despite a controversial first episode (while good for establishing the threat, went a bit too far) this was a solid story featuring one of the more interesting MCs of the season. The series balances the nice SoL moments out with it's dark fantasy plot and brutal action scenes. Goblin Slayer's development during the series was a slow but rewarding one as shown in the heartwarming final scene. Aside from the occasional CG the art was pretty great. The scenes with The Hero are pretty funny since it really puts into perspective how Goblin Slayer is just some side character in a larger story. Really looking forward to a second season for this one. 8/10

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai episode 13 (Complete) - A brilliant series that doesn't fall into the usual tropes with an interesting cast of characters. Sakuta and Mai definitely make for the couple of the year as their interactions have been fun and refreshing to watch. The series started strong with the first two arcs before getting a little weaker in the middle. At least it ended on a high note that leaves it open for the movie. 8/10

My viewing for the week of December 24th - 30th consisted of

2. 2018.12.24.jpg

Bio Hunter was interesting, I think the hour limit of the ova hurt it a sit could have been an actual series since we know nothing about the msyterious virus and it would have been interesting to see its origins and the world in general just seems to have more to offer than what they could fit into this hour. overall i liked it.

Generator Gawl is the opposite of Bio Hunter, it's not interesting enough to cover 12 episodes, there's a lot of useless fluff and padding throughout the show and the ending made no sense at all and was hugely convenient. the animation during the fight scenes isn't all that great and lots of it is in shadow which is rather crap for an action anime. despite that I did still enjoyed what they delivered as there is a good show in there somewhere but its probably not something I'll ever watch again

Gunsmith Cats is an excellent little ova, the characters are interesting and i'd love to see more of this world, the villain was pretty good too and the cat and mouse finale and car chase scenes were pretty great. sucks the manga is out of print as i'd like to get it.

Landlock is boring, its not bad enough to complain about lol it's just there and doesn't do anything special.

Rayearth is another slow, drawn out experinec that could have done with being a tad shorter which is surprising considering its only 3 episodes long and clocks in at just over 2 hours but this was a drag to get through and it takes the girls forever to actually do anything. it's really boring and the action scenes arent long enough to make up for the slow grind to get there.

Read or Die is another awesome little ova with another very inetersting world i'd love to see more of, I like the characters, the plot was fun and kinda ridiculous, teh action was great, there's nothing to complain about here other than there wasn't enough episodes lol. I dunno if the tv show lives up to it but i'm gonna track it down and find out for myself.

Slayers Return is a pretty good movie, it's funny and has plenty of action to keep you entertained. the only disappointing aspect is that the ending is rather anticlimactic but this is still worth a watch.

Slayers Great is the weakest of the 3 slayers movies released by ADV it's more heavily leaning towards the comedy aspect of the series but the climax comedy battle with the giant golems is too long and the novelty factor wears off pretty quick. i'd only watch this oen if you're a huge fan of the series.

Slayers Gorgeous is the best of the 3 movies. it's funny, plenty of action and for the first time has a serious threat as its villain which ups the ante for a change. the whole fued between the father and daughter is hilarious and this is a movie you can sit down and have agood time with. this one is a must watch.

kinda sucks that adv skipped the first slayers movie and mvm never bothered with it after releasing all the tv series. I feel incomplete lol

Goblin Slayer episode 12. (finished)
Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai episode 13. (finished)
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Master episode 12. (finished)

Gunsmith Cats is an excellent little ova, the characters are interesting and i'd love to see more of this world, the villain was pretty good too and the cat and mouse finale and car chase scenes were pretty great. sucks the manga is out of print as i'd like to get it.

If you have a tablet, I'd recommend signing up for this: Comics Plus Library Edition - Welcome!

You'll need to have a library card to register, but it's a free app that lets you read a huge amount comic and manga content held by public libraries in ebook form, including the full run of Gunsmith Cats.

A Place Further Than the Universe eps 10-13
PS_Messages_20181231_135427.jpg
PS_Messages_20181231_135421.jpg
You Are!
PS_Messages_20181231_135439.jpg
PS_Messages_20181231_135431.jpg
PS_Messages_20181231_135434.jpg
PS_Messages_20181231_135436.jpg
This one goes up to
1*dMXPW82zJ1wwjjEhhZj0KQ.jpeg

Out of 10!

SDS Movie - Surprised Netflix got it fast the JP BD isnt till Feb after all well its a Shōnen film but a good one at that and looks nice. Now lets hope it gets a S3 when the manga finishes

El Meloi Ep 0 - I found a worse Fate-verse than F/A. The animation is awful, he looks bizarre even in flashbacks he doesnt look like what other companies have drawn him like and best part was all the Fate/Zero references. TROYCA really needs to improve it by the time show actually airs

Watched another lot of random things with friends yesterday.

Blue Blazes ep1 (live action)

A fictionalised, all burning-passion reimagining of manga artist Kazuhiko Shimamoto's art school rivalry with future Gainax founders Hideaki Anno and Hiroyuki Yamaga, this is enjoyably daft, but also tinged with the sadness of someone who knows greatness is going on nearby, without quite managing to be part of it.

Kekko Kamen (1991) ep1-2

Rather like the smuttier elements of Cutey Honey taken to their logical conclusion, Go Nagai's other 70s superhero fights against the s&m themed punishments doled out by a private academy, while wearing a full face mask and er, nothing else. It shows some early promise - the idea of a naked superhero battering literal nazis has a certain campy appeal, she also has a few good one-liners - but it seems kind of like a one-joke show. It's only four episodes though, so I'll probably finish it out of sheer curiosity.

Cat's Eye ep1

Probably my favourite thing we watched, Tsukasa Hojo's lightweight adventure about a group of lady catburglars requires rather extensive suspension of disbelief, but it offers a similar level of high quality production to City Hunter, without the eyewatering sex jokes. I was actually surprised at how much the look of the animation resembles Space Adventure Cobra - despite neither Dezaki nor Sugino being onboard, there are a lot of visual tics and stylistic tropes that have carried over, helping to give the show a distinctive, dreamlike atmosphere.

Eguchi Hisashi no Kotobuki Gorou Show (1991)

Oh dear. We initially watched the latter two parts of this collection of four short films, a so-so Ashita no Joe spoof and an actually rather charming pastiche of the Godzilla films. After liking the Godzilla one, I watched the first two when I got home, and immediately wished I hadn't. The two 'Vulgar Family' shorts are painfully unfunny attempts at bad taste comedy, with an American family attempting to marry their daughter off to a wealthy Japanese family, and should not be watched by anyone, ever.

Business Commando Yamazaki (1997)

An interesting one-shot snapshot of a much longer manga, this starts off looking like a tongue in cheek romp, but the bulk of its runtime is actually rather melancholic. Although much in demand by struggling businesses across the country for his skills and expertise, grim-faced automaton Yamazaki worked himself to death while he was alive, only to be resurrected as a business cyborg to do the same thing all over again (albeit with occasional fights against rival companies' own robots). It's rather obvious at times and quite expository, but its lament for a generation of absentee, workaholic fathers is heartfelt and unique.

Tohai ep1 (live-action)

A very Akagi-esque story about a young student blackmailed into being a yakuza-sponsored mahjong player, this (other than the barking mad Seibu Keisatsu) is the best live-action Japanese tv series I've yet seen. Much like Akagi though, if you don't know anything about mahjong, it's probably far less engaging.

PERSONA5 The Animation: Dark Sun (Japanese audio) - Special

Oh man they seriously crammed a lot of content in this episode. Not going to lie I did not like this palace in the game but there was a lot of story that was trimmed down and squashed so hard that the animation did not catch up at all.

DvxUAFnWsAE8XM6.jpg

DvxUBPtWoAAhRD6.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Episodes 11-14.

After this series was recommended to me I've been dedicated to watching it but I am sorry to say that although the series started out strong enough, I keep finding flaws in it tbh. Episode 14 in particular bugged the hell out of me, why did the start of the episode see Alphonse start trying to protect the lady who kidnapped him from his own comrades who are raiding the hideout? It makes no sense in context since the last episode ended with Edward raiding the hideout to try and rescue him and he was happy then. Yes the king's plan was to slaughter them all, but he didn't know that.

It probably isn't helping me that I don't find the MC very likeable either, he has a habit of going full angst over even small things, the dude is almost never happy.

I will keep watching but honestly I am not sure this series is for me which is a shame since it is highly regarded.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Episodes 11-14.

After this series was recommended to me I've been dedicated to watching it but I am sorry to say that although the series started out strong enough, I keep finding flaws in it tbh. Episode 14 in particular bugged the hell out of me, why did the start of the episode see Alphonse start trying to protect the lady who kidnapped him from his own comrades who are raiding the hideout? It makes no sense in context since the last episode ended with Edward raiding the hideout to try and rescue him and he was happy then. Yes the king's plan was to slaughter them all, but he didn't know that.

It probably isn't helping me that I don't find the MC very likeable either, he has a habit of going full angst over even small things, the dude is almost never happy.

I will keep watching but honestly I am not sure this series is for me which is a shame since it is highly regarded.
Alphonse protects her because regardless of friend or foe neither he nor Ed wish to see bloodshed and death. It’s just part of his character to care for others. It also acts as an important plot point for the partial recovery of his memories pre-gate when her blood splatters on the blood inside his armour. As for Ed he gets better as the series progresses. He was even more angsty in the 2003 anime.

FMAB as an anime gets a lot better once the first 14 or so episodes are covered since they essentially breezed through the early portion of the story since the aforementioned 2003 anime had already covered it in more detail. After the laboratory arc that you’ve been watching the plot gets more and more intriguing, well in my opinion anyways.

Hyperbole much?!

Looked fine/good to me. Only iffy part was the 3d section but even that was still relatively well done.
The car chase wasn’t good either . It was the first episode and the colour palette was dull and boring andnthe character designs were off. And the plot was average, pIt’s one of the worst first eps I’ve seen in a while.

Alphonse protects her because regardless of friend or foe neither he nor Ed wish to see bloodshed and death. It’s just part of his character to care for others. It also acts as an important plot point for the partial recovery of his memories pre-gate when her blood splatters on the blood inside his armour. As for Ed he gets better as the series progresses. He was even more angsty in the 2003 anime.

FMAB as an anime gets a lot better once the first 14 or so episodes are covered since they essentially breezed through the early portion of the story since the aforementioned 2003 anime had already covered it in more detail. After the laboratory arc that you’ve been watching the plot gets more and more intriguing, well in my opinion anyways.

If the beginning was rushed then that gives me more confidence. I'll keep going at anyrate and give it a real chance.

Back