Your viewing journal

Haganai - Episodes 1 - 4 (Dub)
Madoka Magica Movie 1 (Beginnings) and 2 (Eternal)

I'll say it. I've had the TV series sitting on my shelf since a few days before the UK release. I had watched 4 episodes and stalled for some reason.
Having finally watched the series via the two compilation movies all I can say is... Holy ****.
That was very VERY good. I can't believe I've missed out on this over the last few years. I can see why Madoka comes so highly recommended now, and I too would recommend it to pretty much anyone.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part 1 - Beginnings

The Madoka movies just had to take the one most painful scene in the series for me and make it even more painful with an amazing soundtrack. The song that played when Sayaka turned into a witch...damn. I'm just going to get a drink and put in Part 2.

What's amazing is, the first movie adapted the first 8 episodes in half the time, yet only four things were noticeably absent for me (Madoka's "dream" at the beginning, Mami warning Sayaka about making a wish for another person, which I assume was done to put more emphasis on Kyoko, Homura trying to intervene with Sayaka before threatening to kill her, as well as the less important "girls can't love girls" line).

I will confess: The opening theme had me in tears alone. I didn't even last 2 minutes.

EDIT:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part 2 - Eternal
My only complaint with this movie is randomly throwing the opening theme for the series just before the content from episode 10. Considering how the home media release of the series ended with "And I'm Home" - a duet sung by Sayaka and Kyoko's seiyu, I think it really took away a lot of the impact of Kyoko and Sayaka's deaths. You could argue that the first movie was focused on Sayaka and the second on Homura, but I would have preferred if Kyoko and Sayaka had received some focus. Maybe if they had re-used "And I'm Home" as the first movie's credit song instead of Magia?

I did notice one slight little animation error - in the series, there was a background character in episode 10 who looked a lot like Sayaka, just with a different skin tone. In the first movie, her design was edited (most likely to make her look different), but in the second movie, it's back to the original design.

This is what...my fourth or fifth time rewatching the series and I still maintain that this is truly the greatest piece of art I have ever seen - and quite possibly that has ever been produced. Every time I watch it, I am both reduced to tears and immensely motivated. There is no excuse for anyone not to watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ARIEL - Episodes 1 & 2 [Final]

Time to start re-watching stuff I've not watched for a while.

Not particularly outstanding in any way, but it's quirky and amusing and I really like it!! Sequel tomorrow hopefully.

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage (Season 2) - Episode 3 (Disc 3 via Funimation DVD Ver.)

Stunning arc to introduce the second season, very dark and interesting direction. Currently at 9/10.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (Season 2) - Episodes 1 to 5 (Disc 1 of 6 via KAZE Ver.)

The second seasons starts off with a bang to say, with the plot getting to the point in seconds. Loving Lelouch and his character.
The only flaw so far is fanservice which includes ass-shots and girls in bunny suits I don't mind the bunny suits but the camera shouldn't be pointing at their attentions (remember it got the BBFC's attention with that groping picture). Not a major issue since everyone is used to it now. Currently at 9/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently Ef: A Tale of Memories which I thoroughly enjoyed. Very much an artistic project it seems and it was beautiful to look at. Chihiro's situation was one that gave me a lot to think about throughout it.

Also, I just finished a rewatch of Eden of the East. It gets better every time. I watched the dub cast commentary on Paradise Lost and it was a great listen! Although I watched in sub this time, during this I was reminded how much I love Jason Liebrecht. He's just so natural in his approach to Takizawa.

Highschool DxD 1-12 - Reasonably fun, though it lacked the hooks that made me think I hope they make a 2nd season (which is ofc airing at present in any event)

Haganai 1-8 - Watched this back when Funi had it on youtube for free, good to watch it again in higher quality & with a dub. Hopefully I won't have to wait so long for them to get Season 2 out on BD.

Watched Steins; Gate volume 1 again Haven't been this excited about an anime since PMMM. Checking Amazon tells me the BluRay is due 30th Sept, I assume the dvd will come out at the same time. Really trying to resist tracking down the rest of the series dubiously to see how the cliffhanger plays out...

The dvd for Part 2 has the same release date from what I can see (got it on pre-order). I've managed to hold off watching Part 1 for Steins;Gate so far even though it's sitting right there. After Penguindrum I can't torture myself that way again :lol:

Oh good, I mean bad, I have to wait that long!!! Thanks for confirming anyway, I will preorder too. I have the 1st Fairy Tail collection and Shiki on the way, that should hopefully keep me occupied. Although I'll probably get really into Fairy Tail and have an agonising wait for collection 2.

Eccentric Family ep 5 and 6. Very enjoyable show, it's also making we want to stop eating meat even more. I wanted to slap that guy who loves Tanukis, and because of this "love" he enjoys eating them. And he can piss off with that faux philosophical BS.

Back