Your viewing journal

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor episodes 7-14: I'#m getting strong Martian Successor Nadesico vibes from this show, from the visuals to the characters. One big difference so far is none of the ship's characters has died or suffered any trauma. I do like how Tylor seems to be able to charm virtual women to the point of system malfunction. There's a skill we might need soon, eh Alexa?

It def gives off MSN vibes to me but I like it a lot more than that series cuz for one thing there's a lot less sexism, for me Tylor is what Nadesico could have been in a way (not that I didn't like anything about Nadesico mind, but yeah I liked ICT a lot more) :)

It def gives off MSN vibes to me but I like it a lot more than that series cuz for one thing there's a lot less sexism, for me Tylor is what Nadesico could have been in a way (not that I didn't like anything about Nadesico mind, but yeah I liked ICT a lot more) :)
Are you referring to Yuriko's creepy father and/or the Jovians? Both were pretty sexist, I agree. And Akito's constant panic attacks were infuriating. But it was one of the first anime series' I watched on DVD and the story (and jokes) was good.

Anyway, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor episodes 15-26 and finished. Very strange ending, but I think I enjoyed the series. Shall sleep on it.

The Foolish Angel Dances With The Devil ep1: I thought that this would be the most promising of today's three premieres, which in hindsight was pretty dumb of me. A devil disguises himself as a high school boy in order to recruit someone to his cause (not the most logical thought process, but ok). Unfortunately, the person he picks is an angel disguised as a high school girl (though she looks about ten years younger) and she turns the tables on him quickly, giving the thirsty audience the pseudo-femdom slavery nonsense that seems to be mandatory in every tryhard fan service show this season. Still, I had high hopes that ageless warring devils and angels might add another dimension to the setup and was disappointed when... they didn't. It was just a crummy comedy with annoying characters. Also, the humour is weird, with gags that try too hard and don't come quickly enough to make up for the ones which don't land. Oh well.

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! ep1: Conversely, I thought that this show would suck. And it does suck. It's stupid, and one of the drawn-out gags where the lead waits for a bus but forgets to get on the bus for no reason and then yowls at his misfortune after an agonisingly long pause was so obvious that it made me want to scream. However, in spite of the forced fan service and astonishingly dim main character, this cheesy Hokkaido-themed show has far more heart than the rubbish I watched right before it. It's a typical 'normal boy meets stylish gal' maybe-romantic comedy where the main joke is how hardy the barely-dressed female lead is in spite of the snowy winter scenes all around her, but she seems like a genuinely decent girl underneath all of the cleavage shots and contrived sauciness. I'm not going to keep watching it but it was honest about what it wanted to be and at least it didn't squander a cool-sounding premise about devils.

'Tis Time For Torture, Princess ep1: Last but not least was the torture/prison-themed comedy starring a carbon copy of Saber from Fate. It looked horrendous for a great many reasons so I was pleasantly surprised when the show actually turned out to be a weirdly U-rated comedy with more than a little in common with Sleepy Princess In The Demon Castle. The torture is the main plot element, as promised, but in spite of the enemy torturer, Torture Tortura (yep), constantly coming up with new ways to coax intelligence out of the captive princess, it's all silly and the lead quickly starts enjoying being teased with delicious forbidden foods. What a relief!

R

‘Tis Time for “Torture”, Princess episode 1 A Toasty time.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 13 Bad food.

K-ON!! (Rewatch) episodes 1-14

Last edited:
The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy (English Dub) Episode 1

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable!
Episode 1 First friend.

The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil Episode 1 Identities.

Tis Time for "Torture," Princess Episode 1 Toasty temptations.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- Season 2 Episode 13 Bad food.

Sgt Frog season 3 episodes 142-154: and that's complete. They surprised me with a couple of seriously emotional episodes in that bunch, including one about Pluto being downgraded from a planet, one about a doll wanting to become a real girl and a heartbreaking farewell to one of the main characters )sorta). The usual apocalyptic finale to the series involved giant robots battling it out in space to save Earth, which answered the question for me of why space robots needs legs. Still enjoying the show but a pause before getting into season 4 is called for.
Hurrah, you'll be finished in time for season 5-7. Another 150 episodes.

Bridget Jones' Baby (REWATCH) - I really enjoyed rewatching this with my mum at Xmas, a lovely cosy rom-com, these films will always be special to me and Bridget is an awesome character 🥰

Desert Rose (English subbed) - Decently entertaining OVA about an all-female counterterrorism squad, but not as good as Gunsmith Cats :)

Ranking of Kings (English) - Episode 17 - 19

Non-Anime

What If...? (Season 2)
- Episode 7 - 9 (Complete)

Some real enjoyable scenarios this time around, I think there was more I liked here compared to season one though it's been a while since I've seen it. I did feel a lot of the episodes rushed through things though, not leaving much room for certain parts to breathe. Overall, like the first season, a decent series with some interesting takes on MCU stories and lore.

Shy (English Dub) Episode 11

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 23

Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord Episode 1

Classroom of the Elite III episode 2 Indulgence.

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp episode 1 A tearful awakening.

Metallic Rouge episode 1 Songstress strain.

Ishura episode 2 Hazy moon.

Heaven’s Official Blessing Season 2 episode 11 Settling matters.

Sengoku Youko episode 1 Early risers.

K-ON!! episodes 26, 23-24 (Complete. I rewatched this chronologically to include the film and OVAs and was another fun revisit alongside the film.) 4.5/5, 4/5

KONOHANA KITAN (Rewatch)
episodes 1-7

Villainess Level 99: I May Be The Hidden Boss But I'm Not The Demon Lord ep1: Yet another snooze-fest soulless 'parody' of otome games with the gimmick being that the reincarnated isekai heroine is the villainess (again) and she's accidentally super-powerful in spite of wanting to live an easy life, due to having done nothing other than grind for experience points from the moment she realised her situation (I'm not spoiler tagging that, it's in the title). I just finished last season's I'm In Love With The Villainess (WataOshi) recently and it's weird how such superficially-similar parodies can hit so differently; WataOshi came across as though it was made lovingly by someone who might conceivably have played otome games before and had a (silly) idea for a way to make their story entertaining, whereas this one - like most - seems more like a bandwagon-jumping mess of assumptions and stereotypes without a single original thought to its name. Utterly unenjoyable, and the repeated use of the same PS1-era CG carriage in at least half a dozen scenes was unnecessarily offensive to anime as a visual medium.

Cherry Magic! Thirty Years Of Virginity Can Make You A Wizard?! ep1: The latest incarnation of the BL series inspired by an old joke, interpreted here as virgins who reach the age of 30 gaining the ability to read minds of people they touch. It is, of course, the perfect setup to force shy, awkward people into reassessing how other people see them (and others), though whether they use their newfound powers to turn things around for themselves is still in the hands of the individual. The first episode whizzes through the lead's understandable shock at his newfound powers and goes straight to the awkward discovery that one of his coworkers unexpectedly has a crush on him (I appreciate that BL tends to move quite quickly!) Having already watched the live action drama and read some of the manga I'm probably not going to go through the story all over again in anime form at this point, but I checked out the first episode to be nosy and it seemed like a decent enough retelling of a series which, while not especially groundbreaking, is fun enough to be memorable.

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp ep1: Mixed feelings. I liked the art style and the thinking behind this isekai (?) double reincarnation fantasy but the haphazard way that the story was actually told felt unnecessarily messy. A bratty rich girl dies young because everyone hates her (this sounds familiar) and then ends up being reborn as an orphan in Japan, who struggles against adversity and becomes a genius, sought-after surgeon who attracts gushing fangirls and never fails to save a single patient. Unfortunately, when her new life also comes to an abrupt end she's sent back to her original life with an opportunity to right the wrongs and be a better person there as well.

Why the doctor's story involved jumping back and forth in time every couple of scenes made no sense to me - the chaos didn't seem to add anything positive to the narrative - and some of the setup was excessively silly. I understood that she was trying her utmost not to take her second chance for granted but the lead's angelic, self-sacrificing attitude was almost comical at times, and the supposed 100% success rate for her life-and-death procedures just felt awkward. It made the doctor part of the storyline seem unrealistic and silly. In spite of those complaints, though, this wasn't a bad first episode and if the storytelling settles down long enough to provide some answers it might be a decent series - but the real problem is that I think I'd rather watch the modern surgery show set in Japan than another pseudo-historical European-ish fantasy (which may or may not be an isekai, I'm assuming that it is but if that was confirmed I blinked and missed it). We didn't get to see much of the not-Japan setting in the first episode and nothing about it especially appealed.

Metallic Rouge ep1: A rather good first episode. Sometimes, after watching a dozen wimpy isekai rehashes, it turns out that all you want to do is watch cool-looking androids in power armour punching one another to music, evoking memories of the good old days of 90s anime with a modern aesthetic update. I have no idea what's actually going on in this 'buddy' spy series about an android and her human(?) handler/hacker/friend but the first episode did a good job of getting my attention, so I guess I'll keep watching and find out.

R

My Neighbour Totoro (Streamline English dub, REWATCH) - Finally finished watching this with my mum (as in I've seen it before a good few times but it was her first time watching it) and she really enjoyed it, it really is a lovely movie, and I very much enjoy both dubs for the film, the older one does a better job with lyrics for the opening song though :)

Millennium Actress (Manga Entertainment/Village Productions English dub, REWATCH) - Me and my mum both really enjoyed watching this too she obviously liked it a lot, and I'm glad I showed it to her, one of the best anime "women's pictures" up there with Only Yesterday, I really like both English dubs for this film too, IMO the older one has a better script but the newer one has voices with more universal appeal (both dubs are well acted) :)

Chained Soldier episode 2 Arrangement.

Dungeon Meshi episode 2 Stunned.

The Witch and the Beast episode 1 Terrifying creature.

KONOHANA KITAN (Rewatch) episodes 8-12 (Complete. An overdue rewatch for a great series.) 4/5

Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life
episodes 1-8

Delicious in Dungeon ep1-2

Yeah, it’s fine. I really knew nothing about this beforehand, beyond the manga being well regarded and the fact that Netflix are giving this a simulcast release seems to suggest they have high hopes for it. The characters seem well realised and there’s plenty of fun reaction faces, but I do slightly wonder about its longevity, given that it’s kind of shaping up to be the same schtick on repeat?

Metallic Rouge ep1

Aesthetically, I liked this a lot, I enjoy that it seems to be 1930 in the future, but as an actual show, I felt it was a bit caught between being mean and moody, and being something a lot lighter. I’ll certainly stick with it for now anyway. On the strength of one episode (and the synopsis from CR), it seems like this one owes a lot to Blade Runner, so I’m curious to see where they’ll go with that.

Back