Your top 2 Ghibli titles

Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke.

Kiki's Delivery Service is a film I've adored as much as Mononoke, but Grave of the Fireflies is a far more brilliant film, though hardly as re-watchable (but being able to rewatch something isn't really an issue when it gets etched into your brain in the way that Fireflies does).

Mind you, it only occurred to me recently that I probably ended up at University in Brighton because of Kiki's Delivery Service. Young girl goes out into the big wide world and settles in a coastal seaside town? All I need is a cat and a warm drink that is Hot Chocolate in English, but Coffee in Japanese. Not sure where the hippies fit in. Perhaps Ursula counts.

kupoartist said:

Kiki's Delivery Service is a film I've adored as much as Mononoke, but Grave of the Fireflies is a far more brilliant film, though hardly as re-watchable (but being able to rewatch something isn't really an issue when it gets etched into your brain in the way that Fireflies does).

Mind you, it only occurred to me recently that I probably ended up at University in Brighton because of Kiki's Delivery Service. Young girl goes out into the big wide world and settles in a coastal seaside town? All I need is a cat and a warm drink that is Hot Chocolate in English, but Coffee in Japanese. Not sure where the hippies fit in. Perhaps Ursula counts.

I agree.
Grave of the fireflies is a stunning piece of anime but its so sad you almost dont want to re-watch it. :cry:

Outlawstar said:
kupoartist said:

I agree.
Grave of the fireflies is a stunning piece of anime but its so sad you almost dont want to re-watch it. :cry:

It's a weird feeling; the movie was so excellently animated and had an awesome storyline and concept, yet I didn't want to see it again >_>
Not necessarily because I didn't want to, but because I like animes with more of a positive theme =P

I simply cannot choose!

Though I finally convinced my big sister to watch Howl's Moving Castle! I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

McIcy said:
Same here Grave of the Fireflys is awesome quality but its really hard to wanna watch it a second time
I completely agree with that. I don't think I'll ever watch it again. It's pretty powerful stuff.

Hyaku said:
Outlawstar said:
kupoartist said:

I agree.

It's a weird feeling; the movie was so excellently animated and had an awesome storyline and concept, yet I didn't want to see it again >_>
Not necessarily because I didn't want to, but because I like animes with more of a positive theme =P

I agree! I've only been able to watch it once early in the morning (3am-ish). It's brilliant, but a real soul-killer.

i love ghibi's works and my two two were

Howl's Moving castle and Laputa: CAstle in the sky

i'm intrigue with grave of the fireflies being unre-watchable... i guess it is a sad ending that tears your heart into broken pieces... i should check that out..... ^_^

Still trying to see Howls Moving Castl, luckily I can now rent it from my local library so I am gonna see if I can get it out this week

Hmm... hard to pin down my top two as there's about six which I rate highly, but...

First - My Neighbour Totoro
Second - Kiki's Delivery Service

with Howl's moving castle, Spirited away, Nausicaa & Laputa jockeying for third place.

Mr B said:
Hmm... hard to pin down my top two as there's about six which I rate highly, but...

First - My Neighbour Totoro
Second - Kiki's Delivery Service

with Howl's moving castle, Spirited away, Nausicaa & Laputa jockeying for third place.

I know its hard to pin down just 2 favourites as all the ghibli films are brilliant but thats why I only gave the option of just two otherwise we`d probably end up listing all the movies.

1. princess mononoke :D
2.nausicaa of the valley of the wind
my other three favourite are laputa castle in the sky, kiki`s delivery service and my neighbour totoro. but princess mononoke and nausicaa are my absolute favourites.

Without a shadow of a doubt Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies.

Spirited Away is my favourite movie of all time let alone just anime. While I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby at the end of Grave of the Fireflies.

Other favourites include Whisper of the Heart (just a great story), My Neigbour Totoro (has the same feel as Spirited Away) and The Cat Returns (just a fun film).

Back