Your Movies/Television of the Year

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
It's almost the end of 2010 and it is safe to say that a lot of the big releases have been packed away and we are left with a few curiosities. I have to say that 2010 has been, without a single shred of doubt, one of the best years for films – few clunkers, Hollywood producing films worth watching, great foreign films as well.

The AFI have put up a short video giving their 10 best films and television programmes of the year:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhiYgTu5qS4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhiYgTu5qS4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I know what my ten films of the year are:

Inception
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
A Prophet
Salt
Kick Ass
Four Lions
Bad Lieutenant Port of Call: New Orleans
The Kids are All Right
The Social Network
Winter’s Bone

My question to you is… What are your movies of the year?

Like the pathetic Golden Globes, the AFI didn't particularly get it right when it comes to TV shows. These people just honour the already "big" names. It's also a bit awkward putting TV movies and miniseries in with cable and network drama/comedies. So, the definitive Best TV of 2010 list is thus:

1) Breaking Bad
2) Community
3) Mad Men
4) Sons of Anarchy
5) Lost
6) The Vampire Diaries
7) Friday Night Lights
&) Parks and Recreation
9) Fringe
10) Boardwalk Empire

There's a couple of shows I haven't finished yet - Louie and Terriers, which I'm sure will make the cut in the long-run. Cougar Town might have done if I were up-to-date with S2. Wasn't sure what to do with Sherlock and the second season of Misfits was a disappointment. Doctor Who would probably be No. 11. I enjoyed Dexter a lot more this year than I have for a long time, but its still has some very fundamental problems for me to rate it any higher. Chuck has produced some solid episodes this year, as has Glee, but the two shows are way too inconsistent to even consider putting them on a list. Same for How I Met Your Mother, which I hope to put on next years list after a very rough S5, S6 has been excellent. United States of Tara, a show that airs so damn early in the year I always almost forget it would most definitely be my 12th. Modern Family has perfected its status quo, which while I appreciate it, does nothing spectacular for me. Dollhouse had aired most of its mind-blowing episodes in late 2009, and although its conclusion was exciting; esp 'Epitaph 2: The Return' in 2010, I felt I best leave it out.

I'm going to stop - everyone will be even more bored with me if I were to continue.

The Social Network and Inception are probably two of the only movies I thoroughly enjoyed this year that were worth the hype. Although the last twenty minutes or so of Inception I felt kind of hindered the film a little but it was still good.

lol Scott Pilgrim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd actually forgotten that Kick Ass was this year, so that as runner up to Inception, for me.

TV, I don't really watch so much stuff these days. New Tricks on BBC One? Or the recent Corrie storyline with the tram crash, haha.

The tram crash was bloody brilliant.

My film list would definitely have Toy Story 3. Not sure about many others making the cut. I'll have to decide on it later. It'd probably Easy A, too.

The advertising for it said four funerals and wedding, but only three people died, right? And one of those wasn't even to do with the accident in the first place!

Back