Your best & worst of the Spring season

I'm only watching Attack on Titan and My hero Academia....I'm such a casual ;_; I like both of them though. I do wanna see Re:Creators based solely on who's involved in it but as far as I know it's on Amazon and I ain't subbing to Amazon to watch one series.

I've been busy doing jury service over the last few weeks, but I've somehow managed to catch up on the eight anime I'm watching this season. It's not been the best bunch to be honest (though that might be me unfairly comparing them to the near perfect Rakugo from last season), but they are mostly enjoyable enough and there are three which are slightly above the rest for me. In no particular order...

Attack on Titan: season 2. It's more Attack on Titan, there's not much more to be said about it really.

WorldEnd: What Do You Do At the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us? A curious series, lacking many of the expected tropes (which is a good thing imo). I love the lore of this world, and the characters are all pretty solid. It also helps that I like slower paced anime.

Alice & Zouroku. I'm still not completely sure how I feel about this one. It's basically a dark tale of magical girls being chased by evil organisations early on, which I found a bit lackluster tbh. Then in the middle it became a light slice-of-life show in a similar vein to Usagi Drop, which I loved and is the reason for it being on this list. But because it's been a series with such a big shift in tone I'm not sure where the story is ultimately going, so I can't definitively say if I like it or not until it's finished.

Other stuff I've been watching, which is entertaining but didn't quite make the list: Eromanga Sensei, YowaPedal 3, Berserk and Saekano 2.

The only series I would say is outright bad this season is Sagrada Reset, which may as well be about a bunch of robots pretending to be human. It's one of the least engaging things I've ever seen.

The only shows this season i've watch in full are
Clockwork Planet
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Felt bit let mmh about the end but i felt it was an good first season not the best but i did enjoy it

I haven't watched too much of this season so far. I'm easily pleased watching shows and don't tend to elaborate on them too much.

Best of the season:

Sakura Quest
This show resonated with me, I enjoy the setting even if it is a mostly mundane slice-of-life show. I like all the characters in it and the setting. If you had asked me a few years ago if I would watch and enjoy anything like this I'd give you a crazy look. I guess I could relate to some of the settings and themes.

Attack on Titan S2
One of the big action shows for the season. I felt it was too short overall but could have done without a lot of the flashbacks, it felt a couple of the episodes was 10 minutes in the current and 10 minutes in the past. No complaints about the music, the opening grew on me over the course of the season.

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Classic Light Novel title, the 'battle magic high school harem' show of the season. It knows what it is and doesn't stray too much from the formula I found.

Middle of the pack:

World End
I found it charming, though more slice-of-life than i would have liked. (Didn't read the source material)

Saekano S2
I really only watched this out of habit of liking the first season, didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Clunkers of the season:

Clockwork Planet
The premise is cool (thought we would finally get a cyberpunk/steampunk story). Some of the art is nice, RyuZU and the cyborg were the only characters I liked in this.

Sword Oratoria
I dropped this after 4 episodes, the main character was too annoying for me (I would rather they actually had Aiz as the MC in this spin off).

I started Re:CREATORS and have been enjoying it so far (only 3 eps as of writing this and if i had started it at the start of the season I would likely have it on my favorites of the season)

Back