Yen press thread

unellmay

Vampire Ninja
I would like to start a yen press thread since I actually quite like this company as they give decent semi accurate translations
(unlike say tokyopop or viz)
and still exist in the uk (unlike say Delray or should I say Tanoshimi?)

So what are their best titles?
ARE they translated well?

Yen Press do a lot of titles which i'm reading or after at present, and they are translated brilliantly. The Haruhi Novels are one such title they picked up which have been done extremely well. Compared to the translations i read online, there was hardly any difference between them and they proved very accurate.

The Spice and Wolf novels are due out starting from December as well which is another title i've started to read and intend to pick up, as for how they will translate them, i can't say at all.

Soul Eater is due out next month(manga this time) and that should prove to be a good one to look into if you are yet to read it, or watch it for that matter.

As for other titles, i can't say exactly, i believe Azumanga and Yotsuba&! are two titles they have, but i can't say for much else.

Arbalest said:
Yen Press do a lot of titles which i'm reading or after at present, and they are translated brilliantly. The Haruhi Novels are one such title they picked up which have been done extremely well. Compared to the translations i read online, there was hardly any difference between them and they proved very accurate.

The Spice and Wolf novels are due out starting from December as well which is another title i've started to read and intend to pick up, as for how they will translate them, i can't say at all.

Soul Eater is due out next month(manga this time) and that should prove to be a good one to look into if you are yet to read it, or watch it for that matter.

As for other titles, i can't say exactly, i believe Azumanga and Yotsuba&! are two titles they have, but i can't say for much else.

I'm pretty certain they have HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY which I just started watching online that I want and bamboo blade.

There's also B. ICHI which is made by the same guy as soul eater 3 volumes sounds like it has an interesting story

I have from them Yotsuba&! and higurashi which are very nicely translated, which is something in the case of Yotsuba&!, considering comedy is more difficult to translate.

I've got the Haruhi novel as well, but haven't read that just yet to comment though.

I have to say I'm liking the format of which Yen Press make the covers of their mangas. It's very recognisable to me, kind of like how you know a manga's tokyopop by the logo near the edge of the spine.

At the moment, I'm collecting Kieli and Black God from them, of which I'm really enjoying B.G. They seem to collect a good group/genre of manga that fits my tastes, so I hope they keep building their fan-base and title range.

I really like yen press, i feel the their volumes are of a higher quality than other publishers and you get some nice colour pages here an there.I'm collecting Higurashi, Yotsuba&, Haruhi and Nabari No Ou at present. I am looking forward to their Soul Eater and Spice and Wolf releases. Do they have Pandora Hearts coming up soon or is that someone else?

I was pleasantly surprised with Yen's Press efforts with Higurashi, although i'm now a bit behind with the manga so when i get some spare cash i'll try to catch up with it. Still that's the only series i'm getting off them...unless they pick up Umineko- When They Cry :wink:

They have Black Butler, right? I think I'll pick it up soon. They seem like a decent company and hey, Viz isn't too bad...

Oh and I'm also going to buy Yotusba&! from them as well. Considering I have 1-5 of ADVs volumes.

Here's their site:
http://yenpress.us/

They are a very good publisher. I like that they don't edit the text in the artwork. They put on the outside of the page. Right now I'm waiting on the final volume of B Ichi. Of course the release of Soul Eater. Caught the chapters published in their magazine but I've missed alot of issues now.

I'm a huge fan of Yen Press. Their paper stock is thicker, and looks a lot cleaner than say Viz'.

When they originally came about, I wasn't too interested in any of their series. However, they've recently gotten a lot of manga that I am now currently getting. They are the company I purchase my most manga from.

Bamboo Blade
Black God
Higurashi (that color page in Volume 1. *shudder*)
Ichiroh!
Kieli
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Nabari no Ou
Spiral
Tena on S-String
Zombie Loan

There's also a huge chunk of series they are releasing soon that I'm really looking forward to. Darker Than Black, Soul Eater, Spice & Wolf, Pandora Hearts, etc.

Plus, oddly enough their manga is the cheapest around. (Even though US price is more expensive than Viz). I don't pay more than £5.50 for each volume which is a bargain for the quality. I just wish some of their series came out slightly faster.

I have bought:
Alice On Deadlines
Jack Frost
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
Shoulder-A-Coffin Kuro
Spiral
S.S. Astro
Sundome
Suzunari
Yotsuba&!

And I must say their production values are really high especially the full colour Shoulder-A-Coffin Kuro. I will definitely be picking up more titles, like Soul Eater.

Aha, I didn't even know there will be Spice and Wolf novels, but since I'm loving the anime, I will check 'em out.

I also rather like the Yen Plus mag, esp. the fact that they also include Korean manwha which gets terribly marginalised. But I do tend to buy it when they have a Nabari no Ou cover.

do Yen Press publish their manga in the traditional format (right to left) or do they mirror it? because i want to get Bamboo Blade but i'm not sure about the format...

memorium said:
do Yen Press publish their manga in the traditional format (right to left) or do they mirror it? because i want to get Bamboo Blade but i'm not sure about the format...

They publish their manga right to left

MONONOKE said:
memorium said:

They publish their manga right to left
yay!
chibi+mcd.png

the anime is really good, so i guess the manga would probably follow suit

if you're unsure go watch the fansubs and read the scanlations, that always helps me decide whether the product is any good or not :wink:

Mort Kildebaek said:
Anybody know if the Higurashi - When They Cry manga is good? And do you think I should start with the manga or anime?

The manga is great, in fact its my favourite. As for your second question, i don't know as i havent got around to the anime yet, so i don't know which would be better to start with.

For those, like myself, who are interested in the Spice and Wolf novel releases: This shows the covers. The only problem with this is that the original cover art looks to be available only if you get the Yen Press Magazine? So i am a tad miffed i will say, i'f have preferred the original artwork, but the new design isn't that bad..it just doesn't work for me

i think the new artwork looks horrid personally, the original looks far better and gives a better feel

they're just americanising it to appeal to western readers, they didn't do that with their manga (as far as i know) so why do it to the light novels? i hope the mangas keep their original covers

Back