Yen Press license Magical Index novels and more

Amazing news! I've so wanted to read Index, will definitely be buying them. ^_^ I see they picked up the Pandora Hearts artbook. I already have the Japanese version but I'll be interested in seeing how the package it.

Makes front page article, people still start their own threads *pouts*.

I'm very, VERY happy that Yen Press have licensed A Certain Magical Index. I do wonder if they'll go the entire run of the series though (25 volumes, then New Testament). I mean, look at Viz Media and Shakugan no Shana. In fact, can Yen Press please rescue Shakugan no Shana too? Depending on how regularly they plan to publish Index, it could be a decade before we see the end of the series (if we guess 3 volumes a year).

With an older title like Index and a newer hit like Sword Art Online, Yen Press certainly have made the wisest choices in regards to their new wave of light novels.

st_owly said:
I always read the front page because I admire your writing and think you are the Citizen Kane of anime news reporting. Truth.
Fixed.

Nah I kid, it's fine in all seriousness. I'm just really happy that the Index novels have been licensed. Oddly enough, I was thinking of starting the anime last night...

Yen Press nabbing the Index novels is a huge move. I'm surprised it's taken so long to happen actually. It's pretty bold too considering the first series and the second series(Index: New Testament) are at 31 released novels(32 in may). plus another 15 odd side story ones. There is a lot to cover. i want to consider picking it up, but if they release 2 novels a year, you'll never hit the end. Especially with it ongoing. i'm going to watch how they handle this one.
I may take a look into Another, i hear some decent things on it.

Arbalest said:
I may take a look into Another, i hear some decent things on it.

From what I hear with Another; the anime, manga and novel have different outcomes for each character so that's something.

The pace of Japanese publication is crazy - an average of three novels a year (sometimes four). Manga distributors in the west try and keep a similar release time-frame to Japan, so I wonder if they will with light novels or not?

Personally if I was Yen Press, I would try and see if the publication could be sped up a bit by releasing the novels in omnibus editions (with one English paperback containing two of the original novels). If a release pattern of 2/3 a year could still be upheld like that, then we could have the entire Index series (first 22 novels) by 2019 (if we assume that the first volume will be out before the end of this year - as Winter can mean early 2015). Then, publish SS as a single volume in 2020, before beginning New Testament.....dear Arceus, you're right. Even with that sped-up strategy, by the time we even get to begin New Testament, Japan could have as many as 26 novels (if it does go on for that long). Even if we do get the 3 novels a year, I'll be in my 30s by the time we finish the main series and knowing Japan's crazy light novel series lengths, 40s before we finish New Testament.

I don't see them managing to end the series due to length and the fact every man and their dog has read it fanlated but...

A damn bold move and i'll buy what they put out

Ian Wolf said:
I'm hoping they will bring out the Durarara!! light novels.

This & Baccano

Dark Horse also announced the following:

Oreimo: Kuroneko - This Oreimo spin-off series, which features Kuroneko as its heroine, will see its first volume released in April 2015.

OPUS - This manga from the late Satoshi Kon will be released as a single omnibus volume this November.

Seraphim: 266613336 Wings - Another Satoshi Kon work, this single volume manga will arrive in February 2015.

Legal Drug - This three-volume supernatural series will be released a single volume omnibus edition this September, followed by its sequel series Drug and Drop from January 2015.

Finally, Dark Horse announced that they will be releasing a number of CLAMP titles in digital form, beginning with Clover this May followed by Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits in June.

---

100% getting Legal Drug as well as it's sequel.

Hmm, interesting move. Wasn't so long ago that we were being told Light Novels were not viable, clearly it's a matter of targeting the right series and with any luck Haruhi and Spice & Wolf have laid a good foundation to build upon.

Well Yen Press is already expanding on light novels. I'm reviewing the first Sword Art Online light novel for the guide (out at the end of the month I believe).

SunlightHeart said:
Not a fan of ebooks myself. Maybe im too old but i enjoy the physical product
Well I'm not a fan of using up space. Ebooks work for me and I really don't like how often one gets shrifted for it.

I can see that. However the choice is key. Having it in both formats is obviously the ideal solution. In any case its a bold move i never saw coming and thet have my support as long as it lasts. What with Accel world as well its a good year for me

Ian Wolf said:
Well Yen Press is already expanding on light novels. I'm reviewing the first Sword Art Online light novel for the guide (out at the end of the month I believe).

I tell a lie, the first SAO light novel is out this week - i.e. now.

Back