Xbox Update - 1million kicked from Xbox live

chaos said:
ilmaestro said:
ayase, they decided to do it to people who are breaking the law to play their games, who cares?
Modding a console =/= pirating games.
No, but that's still illegal (except in Australia, maybe?) and at the very least breaks the TOS as pertains to Xbox Live. And 99.999999% of them are pirating games, because there's very little else you need to mod your 360 for.

If I was suddenly unable to use the BD Live functions of a player I'd had modified to play import discs, I would have no complaints.

chaos said:
Maxon said:
ayase said:
And they decided to do this on the release day of COD: MW2, the most anticipated multi-player game of this console generation? And despite the fact that unlike PSN, people have to pay for Xbox Live?

Do people need any more proof of the evils of Microsoft?
Have you even used both of them? I've had a 360 and I currently own a PS3 and XBox Live kicks the **** out of PSN.

I'd pay if Sony made PSN not suck ****.
Mind telling what it's like? XBox live, I mean.
Let me put it this way; if PSN was 56K dial-up (which is about the speed of PSN's connection seemingly), XBox Live would be broadband.

I've played PSN on my home 8mb connection, and Xbox Live on a relative's 2mb connection. That may colour my judgement in slightly the opposite direction.

@ilmaestro - It's the presumption of guilt that gets me. If instead they were to use some kind of authentication to detect that someone was using a bootleg game on the service then fine, kick them off the servers for that particular game until they get a real copy. I imagine it's only a very small minority of chipped Xbox users who have no genuine games whatsoever, and this move punishes people for having the ability to play bootleg games, even if they choose to play genuine games. It shouldn't be illegal (or carry penalties) for people to modify a piece of technology which they own.

ayase said:
I've played PSN on my home 8mb connection, and Xbox Live on a relative's 2mb connection. That may colour my judgement in slightly the opposite direction.

@ilmaestro - It's the presumption of guilt that gets me. If instead they were to use some kind of authentication to detect that someone was using a bootleg game on the service then fine, kick them off the servers for that particular game until they get a real copy. I imagine it's only a very small minority of chipped Xbox users who have no genuine games whatsoever, and this move punishes people for having the ability to play bootleg games, even if they choose to play genuine games. It shouldn't be illegal (or carry penalties) for people to modify a piece of technology which they own.
MS aren't punishing people for using the chipped machines. Just for using them and going on Live. The machines are still fully functional outside of MS's private pay-for-use online service. And even then, only the machine gets banned from Live, you're still free to buy a new machine and a proper copy of the game and use the service legally.

Maxon said:
chaos said:
Maxon said:
ayase said:
And they decided to do this on the release day of COD: MW2, the most anticipated multi-player game of this console generation? And despite the fact that unlike PSN, people have to pay for Xbox Live?

Do people need any more proof of the evils of Microsoft?
Have you even used both of them? I've had a 360 and I currently own a PS3 and XBox Live kicks the **** out of PSN.

I'd pay if Sony made PSN not suck ****.
Mind telling what it's like? XBox live, I mean.
Let me put it this way; if PSN was 56K dial-up (which is about the speed of PSN's connection seemingly), XBox Live would be broadband.

I have both, & PSN has no speed problems here. Perhaps it is just you?

The Xbox live service is good, & sometimes better than the PSN service, but never to such a degree as to justify having to pay for it.

Compare it to lasagne. You could go to a restaurant & pay £12 to have a really nice lasagne & it would taste really good, but you have a frozen lasagne in your freezer & that also tastes really nice, just not as nice as the restaurant one. Both fill you up & one may be slightly better, but not by enough to justify the price.

ayase said:
And they decided to do this on the release day of COD: MW2, the most anticipated multi-player game of this console generation?

In some ways, genius marketing. People will buy this game whether they are banned or not however if they are banned they may also pay for a new subscription or even a new xbox since this game is so desirable. Money comes flowing in.

Gotta agree with chaos :p

chaos said:
MS is the root of all evil in computers - they made us believe that if a computer crashes it is our fault.

Asdrubael said:
ayase said:
And they decided to do this on the release day of COD: MW2, the most anticipated multi-player game of this console generation?
In some ways, genius marketing. People will buy this game whether they are banned or not however if they are banned they may also pay for a new subscription or even a new xbox since this game is so desirable. Money comes flowing in.
That or they'll keep their chipped Xbox for ripped off single player games and buy a PS3 for free online gaming using official games from now on instead. How likely are they to buy another Xbox and pay for another Live subscription? As Mutsumi says, Live may be better but is it really worth that much?

Mutsumi said:
I have both, & PSN has no speed problems here. Perhaps it is just you?
I've obviously had both on the same connection. I'm not going to complain if one was a different connection because that wouldn't be fair. I should also add that my 360 was further away and had more obstructions when I had it.
Mutsumi said:
The Xbox live service is good, & sometimes better than the PSN service, but never to such a degree as to justify having to pay for it.
Paying £40 for a year's subscription to a solid service is asking for a lot? That's not even £1 per week. When the hell did gamers become so unreasonable?

Maxon said:
Paying £40 for a year's subscription to a solid service is asking for a lot? That's not even £1 per week. When the hell did gamers become so unreasonable?
When there's a perfectly decent free, legal alternative. That's competition for ya.

Back