Xbox 360 price cut.....ish

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
Well it was obvious it was comming with Playstations price drop

the Elite is dropping by £30 to £199.99

HOWEVER!

the Arcade version is going UP! from £129.99 to £159.99

confused? i am

Now that is a mistake and a half...unless its Microsoft's attempt to get more people to buy the Elite, espeically if they see the two and think "well the better one is only £40 more i guess, might as well go for that one"

Gamesindustry.biz and a Eurogamer correspondent put the reasoning for the increase on the Arcade down to making it look like a more "Premium" console as the £130 price tag may have "harmed the brand image"

The lower price on the Elite is due to changes since the last price decision in the manufacture process and the removal of the HDMI cable.

At the same point the current 60Gb Pro model is being taken out of the lineup.

BlackWolf said:
Now that is a mistake and a half...unless its Microsoft's attempt to get more people to buy the Elite, espeically if they see the two and think "well the better one is only £40 more i guess, might as well go for that one"
Even though it makes a little sense when you put it like this, I'm baffled for their decision to do so.

I still hate MS and I'm not considering getting a 360 anytime soon, if ever.

chaos said:
BlackWolf said:
Even though it makes a little sense when you put it like this, I'm baffled for their decision to do so.

I still hate MS and I'm not considering getting a 360 anytime soon, if ever.

Well taking games into consideration, the 360 is better then PS3...

*runs away before he can be killed by those actually owning a PS3*

Seriously though the 360 isn't bad, and is worth the cheaper price then a PS3 plus there is Project Natal on the horizon. Although my true stance is that of a gamer that will eventually own all three consoles (i'm only missing a PS3 but i'm steadfast in the fact that i'm waiting for a single game)

BlackWolf said:

Seriously though the 360 isn't bad, and is worth the cheaper price then a PS3 plus there is Project Natal on the horizon. Although my true stance is that of a gamer that will eventually own all three consoles (i'm only missing a PS3 but i'm steadfast in the fact that i'm waiting for a single game)
I'm not a gamer anymore, hardly spent 10 hours gaming this month. My PS3 is basically the cheapest bluray player I could find.

In any case, the games released for 360 simply don't clicl with me.

Final Fantasy 7 made me buy a ps2, Zelda made me buy a gamecube and later a wii, rock band was the reason I wanted to upgrade my ps2 with a ps3. I guess that by now you can spot a certain trend =)

Edit: the only game that made me consider a 360 is fable II, but basically because my mate worked on it.

chaos said:
BlackWolf said:

I'm not a gamer anymore, hardly spent 10 hours gaming this month. My PS3 is basically the cheapest bluray player I could find.

In any case, the games released for 360 simply don't clicl with me.

Final Fantasy 7 made me buy a ps2, Zelda made me buy a gamecube and later a wii, rock band was the reason I wanted to upgrade my ps2 with a ps3. I guess that by now you can spot a certain trend =)

Edit: the only game that made me consider a 360 is fable II, but basically because my mate worked on it.

Fair enough. THe PS3 Glove would seem to fit you.

Thing is though there are some fantastic games on 360 that just dont get enough praise. It was a long time until Eternal Sonata got released for PS3, that being noteworthy.

However, due to releases such as Metal Gear Solid 4, I can see why one would prefer a PS3.

Don't you mean PSone for Final Fantasy 7? I wasn 't aware that it saw a re-release on there :p

I get what your saying but console hatred bugs me now a lil bit.

BlackWolf said:
Don't you mean PSone for Final Fantasy 7? I wasn 't aware that it saw a re-release on there :p

I get what your saying but console hatred bugs me now a lil bit.
Nope. Neither ps one or two got released in Brazil. When I had a job that allowed me to afford imported consoles, ps2 was already out. But yeah, sorry for the confusion.

Spyro201 said:
BlackWolf said:

Quote for Truth.

And I have a PS3.

Quote for LIES!

I have all the consoles (Except the Atari ones).

I have a roughly equal number of games on PS3 as on 360.

The PS3 ones are better. Simplez. ;)

PS3 doesn't have a reputation for breaking like the 360 does with its red ring of death.

PS3 lets you play online for free.

PS3 prices its downloadable content in real money rather than annoying points so you have to work out what the real cost is.

Only very few good 360 games are unavailable on PS3.

Mutsumi said:
I have a roughly equal number of games on PS3 as on 360.
The PS3 ones are better. Simplez. ;)

Then you've probably spent more time deciding on games for your PS3, or, you've seen they are released on both Platforms and favoured the PS3 as your platform.

Mutsumi said:
PS3 doesn't have a reputation for breaking like the 360 does with its red ring of death.

RRoD is very easily fixed though, and you can get replacement 360 quite easily from Microsoft. Ontop of all this, it's not so common anymore anyway.

Mutsumi said:
PS3 lets you play online for free.

Yes but the Xbox's servers are far more stable. The online is better for the 360, and you can hardly say 40 quid for a year is unreasonable, can you?

Mutsumi said:
PS3 prices its downloadable content in real money rather than annoying points so you have to work out what the real cost is.

Then you suck at maths? It's simple if 200 points = X Pounds, you should have no problem figuring it out?

Mutsumi said:
Only very few good 360 games are unavailable on PS3.

Only a very few PS3 games are unavailable on 360 though ;)

Mustsumi, many of your points are plain ridiculous. The points one particularly.

^ not sure it's ridiculous, but maybe a matter of preference?
As a fan of JRPG I do find the ps3 more atractive. I don't like FPS and strategy games as they actually bore me to death and the way I see, the 360 is really stronger on those sort of genres.

But I'm at least one year behind everyone else on games, so I wouldn't know.

1. Nay, I spend equal time choosing games whatever the console. When I have a choice of consoles for one game, if that game is a sequel, I choose the console I had the originals on (eg Tomb Raider Underworld - 360, Armored Core - Playstation).

2. Yes you can get it replaced easily, but the PS3 never had that problem. Better no problem at all than a widespread problem you can have fixed for you easily.

3. I have all the consoles. I divide my time between them all. £40 for online gaming on a console I don't use for more than 1/3 of my gaming is unreasonable when I can play online on my PS3 for free. I've had no server problems on PS3 ever.

4. I've not bought anything on XBL using points yet, so of course I don't know their value. Because I do not know their value, I've not known whether anything I've seen for download is good value or not. My maths are impeccable, but sometimes I just cannot be bothered.

5. The PS3 games that are unavailable on 360 are some of my favourite games. Valkyria Chronicles, Ridge Racer 7, Initial D Extreme Stage, etc.

My points are valid. :p

Mutsumi said:
1. Nay, I spend equal time choosing games whatever the console. When I have a choice of consoles for one game, if that game is a sequel, I choose the console I had the originals on (eg Tomb Raider Underworld - 360, Armored Core - Playstation).

2. Yes you can get it replaced easily, but the PS3 never had that problem. Better no problem at all than a widespread problem you can have fixed for you easily.

3. I have all the consoles. I divide my time between them all. £40 for online gaming on a console I don't use for more than 1/3 of my gaming is unreasonable when I can play online on my PS3 for free. I've had no server problems on PS3 ever.

4. I've not bought anything on XBL using points yet, so of course I don't know their value. Because I do not know their value, I've not known whether anything I've seen for download is good value or not. My maths are impeccable, but sometimes I just cannot be bothered.

5. The PS3 games that are unavailable on 360 are some of my favourite games. Valkyria Chronicles, Ridge Racer 7, Initial D Extreme Stage, etc.

My points are valid. :p

1. What about games that dont have sequels? Prototype, for example.

2. Yeah, but it's not worth moaning about if there is such an easy fix, is it? Before PS3 slim came out, the price was ridiculous. Trust me I know, I had to pay half with my Dad...

3. I'm sure that isn't true. You spend as much time on the Wii as you do a 360 or PS3? Wut? Also some games are just longer than others. If you but FFXIII on PS3, it's unlikely you'll rack up as many hours in the 360 without spamming your time on it by buying about 3 new games for it.

4. Well then it's your fault isn't it? It isn't hard to top up points. That is a really stupid reason not to buy stuff y'know.

5. Fair enough. However, the point will change with person to person. It can't really be argued either way. Some (Me for one) don't like Ridge Racer, for example.

I'll just say the case here was simple for me. I like driving games, I like shooting games, and, like most of my mates, I owned an original XBox. I'll probably get a PS3 eventually to catch up on titles like Uncharted, the newest Katamari Damacy, and a few other bits and pieces, but for now the 360 takes up an awful lot of my free time.

1. Then I decide based on a number of things. If it has online gaming that I will likely use, I get it on PS3 for instance.

2. Yeah, but you get a Blu-Ray player for that too. PS3 has always been amongst the cheapest 10% of Blu-Ray players on the market. It plays games too!

3. On average it is true, but obviously not on an individual weekly basis. 360 got 100% play time back when I was playing Beautiful Katamari, but now the PS3 & the Wii fight it out with Valkyria Chronicles & Punch Out, with VC tending to win.

4. That & I bought the 360 on release. 20gb HDD doesn't leave room for many downloads.

5. True. PS3 tends to have a wider range of genres though, while 360 has more FPS & RTS games ported from PC.

Back