Would Battle Alita Movie be water down version of the Manga?

Neferpitou

Stand User
After reading the manga for second time I find it hard to see how they could give the manga a fair adaptation with out toning down the subject material greatly. While the Motorball would look fantastic in live action, I would desire a live action alia movie not just be excuse for action flic but to look on the other aspects of the manga. With how gruesome the series is and needs to be I can't see that aspect ever reaching 12a film.

I don't know man, James Cameron is a massive Alita fan, I think he'd want to remain as faithful as possible, the entire series itself is probably a 15 certificate maximum they can probably get away with some of the more gruesome scenes through. I'd also imagine this to be what the Motorball to be done like, although in 3D and more updated visuals. I need to re-read Alita, Last Order although pretty cheesy is really good, I think I got past volume 9.

Apparently James Cameron bought the cinematic rights to Alita ages ago, even before Avatar. And he claimed to have developed the tech for Avatar having Alita in mind.

What's going to come out it's difficult to guess. 20 years ago, he was also very enthusiastic about his Spiderman movie.

Are you sure Lupus it get away with an 15 rating with Destiny Nova Experiements!,Makaku brain eating fixation or Tiphares secret!. With the budget of film like this it would certainly need to be an 12A to break even. I guess they could do a 12A version and a longer 18 version that has more graphic in tone scene that can't be shown in lower rated film.

I have not read Last Order yet, but I am quite happy with how the original ended make me not really feel bothered to read the altered future sequel.

PS nice picture of James Cameron there with his Alita T -Shirt :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently been reading through the Manga, and while I rather like it, there are many issues with it (Not the least the retcon ending of the original series, the fact that the second series seems like a complete reboot at times, and the convenient 'forgetting' of characters when the author gets bored of them)

Despite these faults it is a fun series, but increasingly it is very complicated. I'm not sure how well it would translate to film - the length is an issue, but the complexity too (just look at LOTR, which was rather badly garbled and is still probably the best film adaption) as much as I like 'most' of cameron's films - The Abyss being one of my fave films (let us never speak of the 'sinking ship' I feel he does reduce things down to a thin layered allegory (e.g, Avatar = native americans, Abyss = human capacity for violence etc) In some ways Alita would fit with that - at the bare bones it is basically asking us 'what makes us human' but I fear it would end up a rather garbled mess.

A new OVA series would be my option, but a director is problematic. Oshii is a good suggestion, but I can't really imagine who could do it. *ponders*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back