Would any of the main TV channels show anime series now?

Though some anime films do turn up now and again you do not see any anime shows appearing these days.

I would have thought maybe a channel like Four could still find a place for some of the shows licensed for the UK to fill a gap in the late night schedules as they used to do back in the nineties.

well no because, if you look at it this way,

most fans watch anime on the net week after week ( new ones ) and can watch them at any given time * series that have finished *

i know dragon ball kai is on tv but * im going to get alot of complaints* i haven't watched it on tv. reasons -

1 iv been waiting forever to watch the first episode
2 i have to wait til the next episodes
3 people in my house doesn't want to watch it/ i have to wait til im alone.

back in the day i would of waited or missed out on the next episodes but these days we have rewind tv and internet, for fans who watch anime on a daily bases on the net then it would be a no,

but for those who dont know what anime is and doesn't have the internet then yes, i would suggest a few anime that took risks and grabs peoples attention, but the problem is putting them on the right channels because dragon ball kai right now is on a channel near the more baby-child like channels, they should bring back toonami and put classic on like the swat cats and cowboy bepop something to grab the attention for kids

I don't know if it's worth their time filling a gap in a late night slot given more and more have internet access.

It'd be nice if we had a toonami style block on one of the cartoon channels to be honest but they all seem to want to remain firmly in the 5-12 year old area these days.

As mentioned, KIX are showing Dragonball Z Kai and Digimon Savers.

I would love it if they showed more anime on TV, I think the stuff we watched as kids would go down well with this generation.

Has anyone seen the viewings for the Ghibli season? I wonder how well that did...

I wouldn't personally be interested in watching (especially as it would all be dubbed) but there's no question that TV showings have been instrumental in attracting a great deal of fans before. I think part of the problem now is that television is so fragmented; with hundreds of channels and multiple providers, simply getting a show 'on TV' doesn't lead to success any more. If one of the major channels decided to take a risk and show a full anime series it could be incredible.

I can't help but think that television on the whole is mostly doomed, though. Getting some anime featured on the front page of Netflix or whatever kids today are using would probably be similarly effective, if it was the right time and series.

R

I don't suspect we will ever see a whole channel for anime, but if there was a modern day Toonami which showed a handful of anime series alongside traditional cartoons it could be successful.

Although maybe even better if online or something it could mention that it was Anime and give a

"Enjoyed Sailor Moon? Check out Madoka Magica!"

comment or something

RUI is right I mean look at it this way

Loads of channels different time slots it be like looking for a needle in a haystack and that's both time consuming and annoying, it was hard trying to find anime on tv back in the day * I'm not talking about the regular places like toonami* but there was channels that did show them I don't think people was aware of. I saw a few on MTV and I came across that by accident,

There are so many tv channels with nothing but crap these days I'm sure people will just watch what everyone else is watching because it's a pain in the ass to look what's on 500 channels on different time slots.

Which is why anime needs it's own tv channel

thats because they didn't do them right,

the scheduling and time slots are all wrong and they dont give the channels a chance and putting them in the wrong section of tv,

first they should put the channel near the cartoon section but no where near the baby section.

second they should licence long running series for the day time naruto, bleach, one piece, yu yu hakusho, and more mature anime when its night basilisk, cowboy bepop, death note ect

third they should do a 2 episodes a day with the long running series and 1 episode for the short series.

fourth they should advertise like they do with trailers on dvds or on tv to get people to have a look

problem is what to put on for the rest of the day, i guess they could put on old cartoons like TMNT,swat cats, maybe a few japanese live action movies, im not sure, because when i got home from school i watched dragonball z and on a week ends yugioh pokemon few things like that

animefreak17 said:

the scheduling and time slots are all wrong and they dont give the channels a chance and putting them in the wrong section of tv,

first they should put the channel near the cartoon section but no where near the baby section.

second they should licence long running series for the day time naruto, bleach, one piece, yu yu hakusho, and more mature anime when its night basilisk, cowboy bepop, death note ect

third they should do a 2 episodes a day with the long running series and 1 episode for the short series.

fourth they should advertise like they do with trailers on dvds or on tv to get people to have a look

problem is what to put on for the rest of the day, i guess they could put on old cartoons like TMNT,swat cats, maybe a few japanese live action movies, im not sure, because when i got home from school i watched dragonball z and on a week ends yugioh pokemon few things like that

There's just not enough filler to put on during the day for an all the time Anime channel. They tried doing the BBC3 style thing of starting at 7-8pm and running for 2-6 hours but neither of those channels are around now. I honestly don't think Anime can make it on TV outside of long running things like Pokémon or Movies (mostly Ghibli). Anime has found a nice home online via streaming, and given TV's are becoming smarter and smarter why do we need Anime on a channel when we can watch it online via our TV?

The only reason I'd like to see Anime picked up by a regular TV station is because it would represent a shift in peoples opinion towards the medium. We are still a long way from seeing Madoka appearing at 8pm Saturday on BBC1 in place of Doctor Who though.

Rosencrantz said:
animefreak17 said:

There's just not enough filler to put on during the day for an all the time Anime channel. They tried doing the BBC3 style thing of starting at 7-8pm and running for 2-6 hours but neither of those channels are around now. I honestly don't think Anime can make it on TV outside of long running things like Pokémon or Movies (mostly Ghibli). Anime has found a nice home online via streaming, and given TV's are becoming smarter and smarter why do we need Anime on a channel when we can watch it online via our TV?

The only reason I'd like to see Anime picked up by a regular TV station is because it would represent a shift in peoples opinion towards the medium. We are still a long way from seeing Madoka appearing at 8pm Saturday on BBC1 in place of Doctor Who though../quote]

Predictions writing off TV as it exists now are greatly over empathised in my view, I really think the idea of people all watching the same thing at the same time through a relatively conventionally methods still holds a lot of weight. As has been seen with something like Broadchurch for example it is still possible to create talking point programmes. I cannot see streaming of programmes supplanting conventional TV in my lifetime and that's why I would like to see if anime could still found a home on TV.

It would be nice. I would probably make attempts myself to watch DBKai on Kix however since it's limited to Satellite - it's not possible. In the past I use to think it would nice for a channel like BBC3 to have a small anime block. No ADs and on the BBC which shouldn't be chasing ratings.

animefreak17 said:
Going based on Sky, you don't want them in Kids but there's no Cartoon category - so Entertainment? That's where Anime Network was as well.
animefreak17 said:
Going to be costly, you do realise that with your previous point - that it also costs to have an number?
animefreak17 said:
Costs money.

Jetix dropped Naruto after the Search for Tsunade arc (roughly episode 102-ish), so not even long-running shonen shows are safe.

To be honest, as much as I love anime, if I was in charge of a TV channel, I wouldn't show anime. Time and time again we've been proven just how it isn't financially viable. We have to remember that anime is a niché market - when a home media release sells 10,000 copies companies jump for joy like it's Christmas come early, but if say, a Dr. Who or Sherlock home media release sold 10,000 copies, it would be seen as a financial failure.

I think the only way we could really see anime on TV is if it's something to advertise a product (like Pokémon) one of those Madhouse collaborations pretty much targeted for the western audience anyway. I'm actually quite surprised that the Marvel Anime titles haven't been picked up - they may have been of questionable quality (so I hear. I haven't actually seen them), but due to the recent films, Marvel properties are huge right now. I imagine they could experiment and say, have a one-hour block where they show one Marvel anime, followed by another Madhouse anime, but I doubt even that would work.

What would be cool though, is if when MangaUK or another company have a movie coming out, they sort out a showing on the Sci-Fi (or "Syfy" as I think they call it now?) Channel a week or so before release, with a little note at the end that it is out on DVD/BD the following week. I doubt even that would happen though - if I remember correctly, Sky Movies didn't get very good ratings for Summer Wars did it?

robot monkey said:
Predictions writing off TV as it exists now are greatly over empathised in my view, I really think the idea of people all watching the same thing at the same time through a relatively conventionally methods still holds a lot of weight. As has been seen with something like Broadchurch for example it is still possible to create talking point programmes. I cannot see streaming of programmes supplanting conventional TV in my lifetime and that's why I would like to see if anime could still found a home on TV.

I'm not writing off TV, just Anime on the Big 4 (channel 5 does not really count) There's a ton of people at work that will regularly chat about something from BBC 1/2 ITV or Channel 4. You sometimes get some Sky Atlantic talk but it's noticeable how much more people watch the original 4 channels

Rosencrantz said:
robot monkey said:

I'm not writing off TV, just Anime on the Big 4 (channel 5 does not really count) There's a ton of people at work that will regularly chat about something from BBC 1/2 ITV or Channel 4. You sometimes get some Sky Atlantic talk but it's noticeable how much more people watch the original 4 channels

Fair enough.

I still get the film that even after all these years there maybe a perception amongst the channels that anime needs to be placed in amongst children's shows.

Joshawott said:
Jetix dropped Naruto after the Search for Tsunade arc (roughly episode 102-ish), so not even long-running shonen shows are safe.

I did wonder if they chickened out when they realised they'd have a hard time cutting the Sasuke retrieval arc in places. Though I guess there's probably a cut version already somewhere on US TV?

Rosencrantz said:
Joshawott said:

I did wonder if they chickened out when they realised they'd have a hard time cutting the Sasuke retrieval arc in places. Though I guess there's probably a cut version already somewhere on US TV?
Oh Arceus...the cuts seen in the Invasion of Konoha and Search For Tsunade arcs were terrible. I remember when they would cut off the top and bottom of the screen whenever there was a close-up of Asuma, just to hide his cigarette and make us think those scenes were suddenly widescreen. Then there was the freezing of the picture and playing the audio over.

Naruto did air on US TV, so I do imagine there is a US TV cut that they could have used.

Back