Wolf Creek

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
So I just watched this movie on Film Four. I'd been waiting to see this for a long time and man, that's one hell of a brutal, harsh film. I'll never think about Australia in the same way.

I'm hesitant to say too much about the plot, because it's perfect if you go into it not knowing what to expect, but imagine Texas Chainsaw Massacre and you're half way there- but filmed in an ultra realistic, documentary style.

If you love horror- and we're talking real horror here- you should enjoy Wolf Creek. The fact it's based on a true story makes it all the more chilling.

Saw it a while ago be honest I found the film a bit too extreme for my tastes. I couldn't really enjoy it because it was just so nasty to watch. It's certainly far more extreme and gritty than the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which I didn't think was that greater film either) and that tends to detract from my I watch horror films

I enjoyed it, seen it a few months ago. I really do like the gore of some films, it's an entertainment factor in my eyes.

AND remember the killer was never found.

I've read the basic synopsis of it... and it seems really gruesome, I mean some guy snapping this womens fingers off to tell him where he friend is hiding to kill her. That's worse than Chainsaw Massacre...

Last edited by a moderator:
I compared it to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in that Wolf Creek is about people getting sadistically murdered by red-necks.

I can see how some would find it too much to watch. It's up there with Takeshi Miike's Audition for full frontal torture. It's not a gruesome or gory film; but unrelenting, stark and bleak. It's a nasty experience because we feel the vicitims pain as much as we see it.

For me, the worst part was the "head on a stick" scene; the bloke captures this woman (after you think she will escape) and intentionally severs her spinal column by knifing her in the back- hence paralyzing her from the neck down. We never see this girl actually being finished off, but she doesn't appear in the movie again either. That part totally disturbed me.

I've later read that this wasn't actually based on a true story- it was all made up by the film makers, but inspired by a number of tourist disappearances in the Australian out back.

^^ I'll agree that part was disturbing, but for me the film stunk. The ending in particular was pathetic:

Not only was the killer not caught, after a lengthy police search there was no sign he existed. What?! No matter that there were many people who had gone missing around that area (due to him killing them), or the fact that the guy knew the killer's name, what he looked like and what he drove, that the killer was a regular visitor to the only cafe in that area, that the guy was the one awake and watching while they were being towed (also keeping time) - so he would have known the speed, direction and time it took to get to...THE DESERTED TOWN! The guy knew that the killer lived in a deserted town, he was told stories about the damn place, how the **** would the police have missed all that evidence?!

So, yeah, one disturbing scene, and a rubbish ending. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Saw and the Ring (Japanese) are still my favourite horror films. Even though Saw is more of a thriller in my eyes.

I was going to watch this film, i can really enjoy horror films, but i think it's good thing i didn't, i can't take anything thats too overly gory

Jetsam said:
Not only was the killer not caught, after a lengthy police search there was no sign he existed. What?! No matter that there were many people who had gone missing around that area (due to him killing them), or the fact that the guy knew the killer's name, what he looked like and what he drove, that the killer was a regular visitor to the only cafe in that area, that the guy was the one awake and watching while they were being towed (also keeping time) - so he would have known the speed, direction and time it took to get to...THE DESERTED TOWN! The guy knew that the killer lived in a deserted town, he was told stories about the damn place, how the **** would the police have missed all that evidence?!

I'll address a few of your issues:

His old car was driven over a cliff. And besides, he has about 20 cars- leftovers from all of his victims. As for knowing the killers name... How do you know that is his real name? If you knew you were going to kill someone, would you give them your real name?

Australia is a massive and wide open country- you can't compare it to the US or the UK. There are desolate stretches of 100s of miles, someone could easily hide out there.

Osama Bin Laden is the most wanted man in the world, his pictures are everywhere and yet he has managed to evade the US military for years.

Back