Witch Hunter Robin – Any good?

harkins

Adventurer
Looking through the final releases of the year, Witch Hunter Robin is the one title that has caught my eye. I’ve not seen anything of it, not even a trailer. So can anyone give me their opinion of it so I can decide whether or not to buy the two box sets?

(and if anyone mentions anything about importing, regions or broadcast standards I’ll…. erm….log off!)

Its pretty good. Doesn't seem to get a huge amount of love-in, but I would say that it is very underrated.

Its quite episodic, at least until the half-way point, which seems to be the primary reason in why it is dismissed so much.

Production values are good, character designs are superb. It has also got some nice vibes to it - like the mundane nature of investigation back in the office. Section 9 it ain't. There's an interesting sub-theme of Robin trying to fit in with the team and not get underfoot.

Overall I really enjoyed this series, whilst around episode 12 the repetitive nature of 'hunts' got a bit boring the storyline really picked up later in the series and I felt generally the characters were very well developed. Both the music and the animation style also helped to contribute to the moody/gothic admosphere of the series, and it was pulled off very well. The series as a whole also seemed quite subdued to me, possibly due to the darker tones used throughout the episodes, meaning fight scenes stand out and seem quite impressive after the build up beforehand. I think on the whole this series is worth buying, although I would recommend trying out a few episodes first to check you like the style, it might also benefit from being watched over a longer period of time than usual so that the frequent 'find bad person hunt bad person' episodes arent too off-putting.

I just couldn't get into it, I tried watching the first episode but by the end of it I just couldn't see anything redeeming enough in it to make me wanna see any more of it.

I think it was ok, i would have to agree that some of the episodes did tend to get a little boring. I remember Robin riding a vespa in one of the episodes. That amused me for some reason!

Back