Wings of Honneamise

Dan

Stand User
Seeing as this has recently been released in the US, do you think we'll be getting it anytime soon?

BTW, Who owns the rights to it, is it still Manga Ent?

Well, I absolutely hope it gets released over here as it's meant to be one of the best anime movies ever made ... and, of course, it's by the ever-awesome Gainax. Can't see a release happening any time soon, though :/

It really is a bit of a travesty that this great film has still not been released here yet - especially after having seen it so long ago on the sci fi channel. To put it bluntly 'It is about bloody time!' :p

While in the US, the only way to get it is on HD/DVD combo packages from Bandai, Madman in Australia took the DVD discs and gave it a solo release. So instead of paying £50 to import from the US, I got mine for around £10 from down under.

It's a damn fine transfer too.

I have this on VHS some where. A very good film that had a rape scene cut from it for the UK release. It'd be nice to get the full version on DVD, as the excluded scene explaned the tension between the main male & female chara's in the latter stages of the movie.

Erh, am i the only person who was distinctly under awed by this show? I mean yes, it was beautifully animated and the attention to detail for everything from clothes, customs and cultures was superb, but as fro everything else ... meh. The story was vaguely interesting but seemed to be unable to make up its mind if it was political, romantic, geeks and their machines, perils of fame, or something else, and ended up as a broken pencil. Lead characters were dull.
Not saying it was bad, just not living up to the hype people seem to lavish on it when ever it's mentioned.

hopeful_monster said:
Not saying it was bad, just not living up to the hype people seem to lavish on it when ever it's mentioned.
Then ignore the hype. :wink:

Hype spoils all kinds of anime. Akira and Evangelion come to mind most quickly so perhaps it's older anime that are more susceptible to it. One day it'll happen to Death Note - I guarantee it! :lol:

Yeah, the thing about Wings of Honneamise is that it's so different to everything else ever produced by Gainax, it's closer to Planetes than it is to, say, Gunbuster. When I first watched it a few years back I was expecting the big colourful Gainax we've come to expect over the years, but it's more like an Isao Takahata movie. In those regards, I understand why people will feel somewhat let down after watching it, there's little to no action and it's all about politics and drama (including a harrowing attempted rape). It's anti-anime in those regards, and no wonder Gainax chose it for their debut feature, it totally pushes the boundaries of "cartoons" and is very clearly an adult, sophisticated story.

To be honest it was the animation that made me want to watch it.

I am an action junkie usually but I can appreciate great art and this seems to have it but I was always expecting a kinda slow movie.

Anyway I bought it on video and when I get 2hrs 5mins to myself (missus doesn't fancy it) I'll watch it and let you know what I think.

Back