Why would you pirate anime?

Why would you pirate?

• Can't get it legally, so what choice do l have?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • l just want to try before l spend £20 on the legal version

• If l could pay l would but l can't

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • To get stuff the censors took out

• l ordered a cheeseburger

• Total voters
Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
Episodes 1-166 of Sailor Moon is available on region 1 DVD uncut.
Or rather was available. I know the licenses for seasons 1 and 2 ran out, and I'm fairly sure 3 and 4 did recently too. You might still be able to find them in stock somewhere, though.

Miaka-chan said:
I doubt Sailor Stars will ever be dubbed, a bit too late for that now anyway! but I don't see why it hasn't been released in the same way the first 2 seasons were, subtitled only!
Toei wouldn't sell the license; not for an amount anyone could afford, anyway. Which is a shame, because it's probably my favourite season (partly due to the lack of Mamoru...).

Well I can still get a hold of seasons 1 & 2, as I just bought 2, my fansubs on VHS were past it and I treated myself :D (yes I know I shouldn't still have them but I can't part with anything! I don't watch them anymore but I cannot bring myself to bin them, they hold too many precious memories for me. I feel like that with all my old anime and that is why I still have my entire video collection, although it has been boxed up and put in the loft :lol:

Stars is also my fave season, partly as you said, no Mamo-chan :lol: but mostly for the Three Lights/Starlights :twisted: (and no I don't care if half the time they are female! in the manga they're always female :wink: ).
Thanks for the info on Toei. Such a shame really, as I have fansubs of Stars on VHS and would love a set of proper DVDs :(

Lets see if we can drag this back on topic:-
The whole thought expercise idea was just to try and not give the lawyers a feild day busting you lot for pirated material.
The bowdlerizing l was thinking of was the Macross saga.
AS for the illegal importing... not sure myself, found some sources say yes, others say no, hence the grey area.

There is no good reason to pirate materials, in any situation.

If it's worth risking imprisonment or a huge fine for, then it's worth buying.

Techinally importing DVD's can be illegal but due to BBFC rules rather than piracy issues (hence the censorship question), it's a bit of a legal grey area.
There's no law, as far as I know, against owning uncensored materials, or non-rated materials (except in very extreme cases of obscenity). It's perfectly legal to buy unrated DVDs - the law in the UK is against selling unrated materials, so buying from US and Japanese websites isn't a problem, as far as censorship is concerned.

hopeful_monster said:
Lets see if we can drag this back on topic:-
The whole thought expercise idea was just to try and not give the lawyers a feild day busting you lot for pirated material.
The bowdlerizing l was thinking of was the Macross saga.
AS for the illegal importing... not sure myself, found some sources say yes, others say no, hence the grey area.
What lawyers :?: 8)

I think you'll find very few people stop to even think about any of these issues! I buy R1 DVDs from a UK company, as do many others, does that still make it illegal?!
I know I don't care! There are so many more important things in this world to worry about and I can assure you, the older you get, the less you care because the more you have to really worry about :cry:

aniki said:

I think you missed out the "not" :lol:

This topic has got to be the most talked about thing on the anime internet!

I have been reading other peoples' opinions on this kind of topic. This is taken from one guys' response to fansubs/bootlegs etc etc

The majority of people on this site are in complete agreement that to purchase everything you have viewed is ridiculous and unrealistic, but that to buy nothing you have viewed is ridiculous.

I think that sums it up quite well and wish I'd though of it myself :lol:

Miaka-chan said:
It's fun :D being able to watch something just a few days after the Japanese can gives me one of the biggest buzzes I have ever had!
Ah yes, this is another reason why i download fansubs. After downloading my first fansub last week i have to say it made me so happy i had a smile that stayed on my face just about all day; i danced around my house smiling and calling out something along the lines of "ha, ha, ha, ha, i'm watching this before the americans", because thats whats so wonderful, to actually watch an anime before it's gone to america, and only a short time after the japanese, and when it's not so old it's last centuries big thing.

Also i would like to say i commend you Miaka-chan for being so wonderfully honest in all your posts

Well l'll beleive aniki and co if they say that importing is legal, wasn't sure myself either way.
Legall buying everthing l own.. well l have. though this is mainly due to techological limitaions, it is possible. That's why l put down that they are rationolisaions for piracy, not reasons or excuses. Those who do it know it is wrong/illegal/bad, but lie to selves and make up excuses to make them selves feel better.

AS for lawyers... they scare me...

aniki said:
There is no good reason to pirate materials, in any situation.

Going on the assumption that fansubs are piracy - in many cases you can't buy them, and in some you will not be able to in the future. None of them have been released in the UK whilst they're airing in Japan, only a few will be out in the US in this time, and many series will never be released outside Japan so you can't practically buy them. Seeing as you're not watching a pay-per view thing, the show has already been paid for, and you're not causing a loss in earning's for the creators (though you're obviously in a lawful grey area).
Once the series becomes available in the US and UK, then you are watching something for free that you can pay for, but until then it really is small potatoes.
You certainly aren't risking imprisonment or fine (before licensing) though what you are doing is technically illegal.

The only argument against fansubs for series as yet unlicensed outside Japan is that people will not later buy titles that later secure a release, but equally many will buy future releases precisely because of seeing the series already. It's impossible to work out how much better or worse off the industry will be when factoring in all this, but it certainly isn't only a negative influence.

="aniki"]
Techinally importing DVD's can be illegal but due to BBFC rules rather than piracy issues (hence the censorship question), it's a bit of a legal grey area.
There's no law, as far as I know, against owning uncensored materials, or non-rated materials (except in very extreme cases of obscenity). It's perfectly legal to buy unrated DVDs - the law in the UK is against selling unrated materials, so buying from US and Japanese websites isn't a problem, as far as censorship is concerned.

This is pretty much spot on.

Personally I wouldn`t spend any money on pirated goods, I just find something so moral wrong about it.

But I certainly wouldn`t blame some people for buying pirated anime with the prices some Anime DVDs can be in the UK shops.

Gryphon said:
But I certainly wouldn`t blame some people for buying pirated anime with the prices some Anime DVDs can be in the UK shops.

There's no real excuse given the prices you can pick things up for at play.com, not to mention how cheap a lot of amazon's older titles are. And if you the ability to go online and purchase pirate goods you can just as easily order from a legit site.

Red XIII said:
There's no real excuse given the prices you can pick things up for at play.com, not to mention how cheap a lot of amazon's older titles are. And if you the ability to go online and purchase pirate goods you can just as easily order from a legit site.

Well yes there is no excuse, I agree . Thus why I would never buy pirate. I guess I didn`t look it that way, if they could order offline why not just order from play.con or amazon or some legit site. At least you know they not likely to clone using your details.

Personally I don`t buy offline, I buy from shops so was think from that point of view that some people would use the excuse that buying from shop was to expensive.

Miaka-chan said:
Oh, come on, be reasonable; I'm sure we lose out to the great "Sub Vs. Dub" debate (which we don't need here, thank you), not to mention the hordes of illiterate fanboys going on about their creepy fantasies with animated characters.

Someone mentioned that fansubs are a "legal grey area". This isn't really true; they are more of a legal black area. It's not legal at all, just that no one is realistically going to be prosecuted for it.

Colin said:
Someone mentioned that fansubs are a "legal grey area". This isn't really true; they are more of a legal black area. It's not legal at all, just that no one is realistically going to be prosecuted for it.

So my terminology was off, but the sentiments are there. It's illegal to tape off the radio, but you're unlikely to ever be prosecuted for it unless you start selling the recordings...

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
Oh, come on, be reasonable; I'm sure we lose out to the great "Sub Vs. Dub" debate (which we don't need here, thank you), not to mention the hordes of illiterate fanboys going on about their creepy fantasies with animated characters.

Nope! Although you would think so, most other forums don't seem to tolerate that debate anymore :lol:
I think the Rei v. "insert name" debates have finally died a death - thank goodness :wink: although I did recently see a Shinji v. small rodent debate :shock:

It's got a lot to do with licences why this subject is cropping up all the time and Naruto is the main culprit :wink:

Miaka-chan said:
It's got a lot to do with licences why this subject is cropping up all the time and Naruto is the main culprit :wink:

Now Gundam Seed Destiny is licensed expect to see even more of such debates on forums :roll:

I would love to pay for it because is a recognition to that artists that work in anime but I Pirate because 1- can't find it were i live
2- can't afford it (been broke for a while)
3- and pirates have extra eps

Back