why is cowboy bepbop so popular

Animefreak17

Godhand
im watching cowboy bepbop disc 1 today and i was thinking ........................... why do so many people like this series, its plain and il admit it does have a few memorable episodes like andy vs spike that was fun and the episode where he trys to find a cult leader,

maybe because its not over the top and isn't like e.g.
you have a hero in a series thats a bout to lose and then suddenly he get super strong.

its a classic but why do so many like this series, this series is in my top 20 or 30 at less.

maybe because it brings nostalgia

whats your thoughts

Because it's well written, well directed, has a great cast of characters you care about and who all have very interesting back stories (Faye was the highlight for me) and aren't quite typical, a great soundtrack, and it just oozes style. Oh, and there's also the great action and animation.

What more could one ask for out of anime.....aside from maybe a few samurai fighting to a hip hop soundtrack...

animefreak17 said:
im watching cowboy bepbop disc 1 today and i was thinking ........................... why do so many people like this series, its plain and il admit it does have a few memorable episodes like andy vs spike that was fun and the episode where he trys to find a cult leader,

maybe because its not over the top and isn't like e.g.
you have a hero in a series thats a bout to lose and then suddenly he get super strong.

its a classic but why do so many like this series, this series is in my top 20 or 30 at less.

maybe because it brings nostalgia

whats your thoughts

I totally agree with you man. When i finished watching it years ago the first thing that came to my head was: "Whats so good about it?"
I had the same problem with Outalw Star, but i think Outlaw Star was slightly better.

I have no idea. I dropped it about 15 eps in some years ago because it was so crap. *dodges stapler* Been meaning to go back and give it another go for some time though.

maybe because its doesn't give to much suspension cause each episode is a story and have like 5 episode plot to spikes past against vicious. by the way that episode whey all get infected and are lifeless that episode bugged the crap out of me there wasn't anything after that but * in the next episode* oh im all better.

sanji no 1 iv watched outlaw star sometime ago and those who brought and watched the dvds some people will say *hold on this isn't as good as it used to be cause i did say that

When it came out way back in 1998 it was a huge breath of fresh air in the industry,even the most jaded of fans could not help but love it,i remember way back then Bebop and along with Escaflowne in the late 90,s totally blew my socks of and even to this day are two of my faves series ever and two of the best series of the 90,s.

Probably because Cowboy Bebop doesn't really feel like anime. To me it's always been the greatest sci-fi show America never made.

I find that I appreciate Bebop more and more as I get older. There's a sophistication to the writing and direction that you don't see very often in any medium. It's a show that tells interesting, unpredictable stories with effortless panache and sharp humour, and it never talks down to its audience.

That soundtrack is pretty damn fine as well.

Doraemon666 said:
When it came out way back in 1998 it was a huge breath of fresh air in the industry,even the most jaded of fans could not help but love it,i remember way back then Bebop and along with Escaflowne in the late 90,s totally blew my socks of and even to this day are two of my faves series ever and two of the best series of the 90,s.

youv given me a good idea

Worth pointing out that the crazy crazy fandom for the show was in the USA, not Japan, and at a time when there was the last big upswell in numbers of people watching anime, with DBZ at the height of its popularity and Toonami just really hitting its stride.

The show's quality is obvious, to me, but its popularity is not directly related to that alone.

I might have to give it another chance. I enjoyed it first time, but didn't LOVE it. I prefered the movie I think. I think it was due to my expectations of the show, I went it expecting a more action-oriented anime, whereas a detective/ space noir would've been a more accurate definition.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I enjoyed it first time, but didn't LOVE it. I prefered the movie I think.

This totally sums up my feelings.

Music is great, directions is great, looks great (for it's age) but just didn't grab me completely. Nice easy watch though. I guess I prefer more plot driven series, I don't even thinkt he characters are as good as people are saying.

When all is said and done though it is one of the better examples of anime. Obviously I'm an anime fan, or I wouldn't be here, but there's a lot of tat out there and this show rises way above most.

Mmm I think I'd agree, Lion. My favourite set of eps was in whichever volume had Pierre le Fou and the one with ... the bald guy... doing some detective work on his own... can't really remember it so well, but I remember liking that particular set of eps very much.

I enjoyed it very much at the time (I saw the first two episodes via VHS fansub back in the day, and was so excited when the R1 DVDs started). It's weird because it's the kind of genre I'm normally not interested in at all, but Cowboy Bebop was made with enough care and style that I could look past that and just soak it up.

It's not in my top ten anime, and probably not even in my top fifty, but I'm pleased it exists.

R

Because it brought so many new things to the table. There's a fight in the early episodes where it's so well choreographed and the camera has a "shaky" effect.

Also, it's not a Japanes-ey anime. So, it's well accessible to people who aren't already fans, but on the downside, if you're a Japanophile who's into that sort of stuff, you're unlikely to enjoy it as much.

I prefered the movie I think.

Interesting, I was the opposite. After the brilliance of the series I felt that the movie was...just a bit unnecessary. I guess it was cool to have an extra long episode and there was nothing really 'wrong' with it, it's just that after knowing how the gang end up ultimately, it made it harder for me to go back and enjoy a completely separated movie. I still really enjoyed it, but it hasn't got a special place in my anime heart like the series does.

vashdaman said:
I prefered the movie I think.

Interesting, I was the opposite. After the brilliance of the series I felt that the movie was...just a bit unnecessary. I guess it was cool to have an extra long episode and there was nothing really 'wrong' with it, it's just that after knowing how the gang end up ultimately, it made it harder for me to go back and enjoy a completely separated movie. I still really enjoyed it, but it hasn't got a special place in my anime heart like the series does.

I think again it comes down to expectations. The movie is probably closer to what I expected from the series, ergo I liked it more.

How was it different, though? Not saying it wasn't, but its been a long while since I've seen it, and I I just remember it being like an extra long, extra big budgeted episode that could have been slotted in the middle of the series.

For me the movie was at least half an hour too long. Given the runtime not enough was done with Vincent and the woman whose name I can't remember even though I rewatched the movie last week. It looks great but, man, it doesn't half drag, and for no good reason.

watched disc 2 of cowboy bepbop and................. um going to say it fay is a bitch yeah sorry but something about her pisses me off

For me Bebop was about the atmosphere more than anything. It's hard for me to put it in words...but the best I can come up with was that it just felt cool. The combination of the visuals (with the fluid fight scenes), the jazz soundtrack, the cracking English dub added up to a show that just had so much style. Watching it back to back with Outlaw Star on CNX was amazing.

I do prefer Outlaw Star out of the two surprisingly, probably because I really liked Gene and Jim, but Bebop is still a classic.

Back