Why Dragonball is not very popullar in UK?

Reaper gI said:
Arbalest said:
More popularity? Maybe. If it where to appear on TV again though, i think it's safe to say there will be many watching it again, even if it was the 4kids version, which, ok, wasn't as terrible as expected.
Erm it's Ocean Studios or Funimation. It's One piece that got done by 4kids.

Oh was it? I know funimation got a hold of it after it was fully aired. I'm assuming then Ocean Studios where the ones who released the aired version then. I wonder why i said 4kids then.

EDIT: just making a quick check, yeah, we got a mix of the two dubs i think, could be why i'm now saying one fully aired here the other didn't

If I can interject it amazes me how many times the Dragonball shows have been dubbed into English, with Dragonball first it was Ocean, then Funimation, then Blue Water. With Z first it was Ocean, then Funimation, then Ocean again, and with GT first it was Funimation then Blue Water.

Personally I prefer Funimation dubs of them because for one thing Funimation at least offers them uncut and ever since the later DVD releases the original background music as well (don't know about GT though, do the boxset releases still have that awful rap theme in it?), because Oceans dub of the later DBZ episodes were a bit inferior

But one thing about the Funimation dubs of the DB shows that bugged me was the overuses of words like heck, darn and gosh, I mean I understand that you can't swear on CN and all but considering other shows that went through the same thing (Gundam Wing for example) allowed swearing in their uncut dubs but DBZ didnt and DBZ overused them so much it kinda got a bit hard to take seriously. Then again Oceans dub of DBZs later episodes bugged me too because they removed any uses of the words kill and die, it bugged me that even Funimations edited CN dub of DBZ could use them yet Ocean could not

I will admit, I'm not a fan of Dragonball. It aired on TV when I didn't have Sky, so I couldn't watch it that often. Then, when DBZ Kai started in Japan, I got bored after six episodes. I could never really connect to the series at all.

However, although I'm not a fan, a few of my friends fondly remember it and hold it with great esteem.

One thing to take note of, is how Dragonball games get released here all the time, while other series', including Naruto and Bleach, only get a few games coming out here.

I'd say it's more of a case of, the anime hasn't been on TV for about a decade, people have moved on to other shows, whereas in America, there's the constant rereleases and Dragonball Z Kai; and we don't have Dragonball/Z/GT/Kai on DVD or TV.

its not a case that its not popular in fact its the other way round.
Its one of the most requested UK licenses and manga want it

the reason they want it is for the profit margin from anime fans and none anime fans its one of the few animes like akria that has made it in to mainstream public knowledge i know CHAVS who like it. The reason Kai got high ratings in Japan was because of the cloud 9 slot on fuji TV they aired it with one piece so adults can have their kids watch it then the kids have the adults watch one piece (for the person who brings up it was cancelled the reason for that was it did not sell enough merchandise kai got higher rates then bleach) and it did well in the US because young adults who parents watch dragon ball z when they where kids can get their kids to see it.

from what i read online what toei wants for uk rights is for the distributor to buy up to episode 63 and up to movie 3 (note the big green dub movies DVD's are movie 2,3 and 4) for a stupid amount.

the last thing i will say from what i seen online what fellow uk fans want is the ocean dub with dragon box footage.

You know I really don't feel comfortable with the way the word "CHAV" gets thrown around. I mean, what is it that even defines someone as being a "CHAV"? Someone who is working class and a teenager? Someone who likes Hip Hop? Someone who uses some slang in their speech? Some who dresses a certain way? or does it have to be a combination of all these things? Either way, individually or combined I see nothing wrong with any of those things.

There is absolutely no reason you should be surprised that someone who you fit into those previously mentioned categories should like anime/manga. I know many friends who you could place into those categories and who are more enthusiastic about anime then me. Its this kind of "CHAV" stuff that gives anime forums and anime fans in general a bad name (I assume anyway).

No, not that I am aware of. But then again people don't tend to call you chav to your face do they, so I guess I wouldn't know.

"Chav" is just another way to stereotype and put people in social boxes that don't really exist.

Well, where I am, if I say "chav", people will know exactly what I mean, not some vague and general social class (and, by extension, you would know if you were considered a chav without people having to say it to you), so perhaps it varies.

Yes I am aware of the connotations the word "chav" brings to mind (was it not similar to the things I wrote in my first post?), and no I am not considered one (as far as I am aware anyway). But the idea that you can just see someone in the street and based on their outwards appearance label them derogatorily as a "chav", and therefore deem they are unlikely to watch anime is just beyond stupid.

As I mentioned I have friends who some could have labeled as "chavs from the council estate" who honestly watch way more anime then me

Back