Why do you cough when you have the flu?

Taylor

Vampire Ninja
Currently i have the flu (as you may have geussed from the title) and i was wondering why do you cough?
It doesnt help me in anywayz what so ever, just gives me a headache cause im coughing so much... and its getting annoying haha.
There must be some purpose to it tho :S

Its to help clean fluid from your lungs and aid you in breathing

Coughing is an action the body takes to get rid of substances that are irritating the air passages. A cough is usually initiated to clear a buildup of phlegm in the trachea. Coughing can also be triggered by a bolus of food entering the trachea rather than the esophagus due to a failure of the epiglottis. Frequent or chronic coughing usually indicates the presence of a disease. Provided the patient is a non-smoker and has a normal chest X-ray, the cause of chronic cough in 93% of all patients is due to asthma, heartburn or post-nasal drip. Other causes of chronic cough include chronic bronchitis and medications such as ACE inhibitors. Coughing can happen voluntarily as well as involuntarily.
- according to wikipedia

Ryo Chan said:
i'd rather be coffing than throwing up every hour like i am atm :(

Got that new virus thingy maging? And ofc im bored! Cant do **** when im like this haha. Meant to be at college but i really dont feel up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember having the flu on my 16th birthday - awesome presents I got that day but I didnt enjoy them for about 2 weeks I could hardly get up let alone do anything else! man that sucked! you have my honest sympathy

Back