Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What do you mean 'buy'?

• I ordered a cheeseburger

• Total voters

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
Just wondering how soon after anime was released people bought it. Some of you seem to be watching stuff i've never heard off, or seen in any shop, some seem to be up on all the latest stuff from the stores and some are like me who seem to get stuff randomly( ie as soon as i can get it cheap).

PS 'I ordered a cheeseburger' is what i put instead of 'other'. If you can guess why answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Most of the anime I buy is stuff I've already seen fansubbed. I like to know if it's worth spending my limited amount of money on something. I started getting Paranoia Agent and will be starting to get FMA because I've already seen all of both shows and they're definitely worth my money :)

I've got a rather gartanguan scroll with all the titles that I want to buy, how many dvds they'll be, release dates and priority for them. I must admit i've fallen victim to the temptation of Region 1, with the artboxes and extras and release dates for many series now, but i'm still collecting several UK series that i'm following as they get released. I'll often collect a series volume by volume to fill up an artbox, although for older series or ones that have at least been out for a few years often have wonderful complete collections that make life so much easier. I've got a few cases of series with some of the volumes R1 and others R2; while it may make the dvds seem slightly unmatched now and again, it's a risk i'm certainly willing to take for the content.

In an ideal world, I'd probably pick up most series that I want as I soon as I could import them, but the bank wouldn't approve of that; so while I have about six series (some R1, some R2) that I'm trying to collect as they come out, there's also a fair amount of titles on my own 'to buy scroll' which just get attended to as and when I have the money. Of course, if those titles are part of a bargain slimpack or in the play.com sale, they're all the more likely to get picked up sooner.

since the 'if i miraculously have some cash left over at the end of the week' option wasn't there i went for 'once i've read some good reviews on it.' most stuff i own has been off the back of two or more good reviews or recommendations from others.

exceptions to the rule are anything with the names Miyazaki, Kon or Otomo attached to them: they are consistently worth looking into. ;)

I went for the 'I ordered a cheeseburger' one in the place of other :lol: . Basically i buy stuff on the rare occation i have money or more often than not swindle my dad for some, lol. And then i just get what appeals to me at the time, i don't usually go much on reviews, more what i hear here, or what looks like it might appeal to me from the description, or even just the pictures :)

I sometimes buy as soon as it hits the shops, but this is only for the shows I simply *have* to own. Everything else is cheap, so I spend less money and get more anime, how can I lose?

I put other (or cheeseburger!), as I buy what takes my fancy 95% of the time, there are only a few things I pay in advance for (volume 12 of Hana Yori Dango I paid for 6 weeks before I got it, but I don't usually like paying for something I don't receive almost straight away!), and ocassionally wait patiently for a release I know is coming (currently this only applies to Petit Cossette).
These days I pay no mind to reviews, because I've come to realise I don't seem to like the majority of highly praised titles (most recent example; Elfen Lied!).
There is also one other factor; when I have the money (I'm still waiting to order Piano vol 2 and Ultra Maniac vol 3, as funds are low at the mo :( ).

I usually wait until I'm heard a good review of it, preferably from someone I know... Otherwise, I'd just buy anything that took my fancy, which would probably result in the SLC being unhappy :(
Miaka-chan said:
These days I pay no mind to reviews, because I've come to realise I don't seem to like the majority of highly praised titles (most recent example; Elfen Lied!).
Always something to watch out for; Elfen Lied got some great reviews, but I didn't think much of it at all. I tend to take reviews with a pinch of salt, and to get as much info as I can before buying.
Ramen89 said:
I buy anime whenever I have money
Likewise. This wasn't too much of a problem previously, but with no student loan this year, my final answer will have to be "When I get my paycheck".

Normally I buy whenever I go into HMV and have money, which isn't too often. If its a really good anime I'll buy it from hmv. If its an anime thats looks fairly interesting I'll buy it off eBay. If it's a really groovy looking one thats only available in the US, I'll import it. And I'm gunna have to do that when Advent Children comes out!

Back