What's your anime of the season?

crashmatt

Death Scythe
As the spring season comes to a close, which series has impressed you the most?

For me it's Re:Zero I genuinely think this could be the next big anime franchise given how well the LN are selling and how well the anime has been received. It just keeps getting better each week. White fox are doing a great job.

For me, it's either Kizniaver or JoJo Part 4. Mostly because those are the only two shows I picked up,

Joking aside, I'd probably say JoJo. Kiznaiver has been excellent recently, but I feel it got off to a bumpy start, whereas JoJo has been excellent from the getgo. I'm probably a little bias though, since I'm a huge JoJo fan anyway. Really regret not picking up more this season, Re:Zero, Bungo Stray Dogs, Joker Game, You Never Thought There'd be a Girl Online, My Hero Academia, Flying Witch, Twin Star Exorcists, Space Patrol Lulaco, Anne Happy, Bakuon, High School Fleet, Pan de Peace, and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless all sound like shows I'd enjoy, yet I didn't watch any of them...

Ooooh this is a tough one. I personally have a few anime of the season purely because I can't choose which are better. ^^;

Re:Zero - Arguably does everything right, even despite it's very generic premise. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the second half of the series can do and if it'll retain the level of emotion we've seen so far.

Bungo Stray Dogs - I'm a big BONES fangirl so I was always going to fall in love with their latest adaption, especially coupled with a brilliantly fun cast of characters I've had a lot of fun week to week. Although it's taking a break between seasons for the second cour, I'm excited to follow it up in the Autumn season.

Flying Witch - Such a sleepy, slow series usually would not work but Flying Witch is just amazing on all levels. The music, the animation, all of it is really, really good and I'll be really sad when it finishes. :(

Special shoutout goes to Kiznaiver as the first half wasn't good enough to be an anime of the season for me, but last weeks episode was the best anime episode of the season so it has that going for it!

Jojo Part 4 & Flying Witch are my joint favorites of the season. I'm very much enjoying Assassination Classroom Final Season, Iron Fortress & My Hero Academia too.

Nothing I've picked up has been a dud (Terra Formars: Revenge could've been a dud but it's so bad that I find it strangely entertaining) which is shocking as 1) I usually I have at least one show per season I force myself to finish & 2) I picked up a record 13 shows!

I'm looking forward to continuing Re:Zero upon physical release, on-hold so I can read some of the Light Novels first.

They is a few I'm enjoying this season . I think my top 2 would be Re Zero , Tanaka-kun is Always Listless . It was going to be my top 3 but at the moment the third slot is a draw between My Hero Academy , Kiznaiver , Kabaneri and Twin Star Exorcists.

Kiznaiver for me, despite it's slow start (this really didn't bother me tbh, slow is kinda my pace lol) it's the show I look forward to watching the most each week. Although I'm not watching much to be fair (I say that, 4 shows in one season is a decent amount for me to be keeping up with). I'm really enjoying Re:Zero a lot too but Iron Fortress & My Hero Academia aren't exactly blowing me away (I do enjoy them though and My Hero Academia has been much better the past couple of episodes).

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is probably my favourite show (love the OP and ED) overall. I have to watch Bungou Stray Dogs ( a guilty pleasure for all kinds of reasons) and the Taku Iwasaki music is great. Kiznaiver and Flying Witch are my other must-sees.

I was trying to watch My Hero Academia and Shounen Maid but Funimation Now was delivering very patchy viewing quality and now it's gone AWOL :( (Very disappointing)

It's a tie between Re:Zero and My Hero Academia for me. My Hero Academia I had high expectations for and so far it has not disappointed (especially today's episode!). Re:Zero, on the other hand, came out of nowhere to become the series I anticipate the most every week. Honourable mention goes to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress for sheer blockbuster entertainment value.

Space Patrol Luluco all the way!

It'd have probably been obnoxious if it was longer than 8 mins per episode, but as it was, it was perfect! (Entirely subjective, obviously). I had a lot of fun watching it, and it felt like they had a lot of fun making it, which is why it wins the season for me.

*Disclaimer: I didn't watch a lot this season, I think I might be too picky... Also enjoyed Kiznaiver, as well as the B-movie charm of Mayoiga.

JoJo, Joker Game and Kiznaiver were my favourites. All great shows. Bungou Stray Dogs would be a close runner-up; they're all my picks to own on BD when the time comes.

R

I already posted here, but I've since picked up and caught up with Re:Zero and that's also fantastic, I think I'd put it over Kiznaiver but JoJo is still on top.

For me it was Joker Game I liked that it concentrated on different spies in each episode but the mystery of who Lieutenant Colonel Yuuki really was through out the whole series.

At the moment, overall I'd probably have to go with Flying Witch. Despite the supernatural elements, it has a believable sense of reality and it feels like a celebration of the magic and wonder of little everyday moments with people you care about. The characters also feel surprisingly real and they're easily the best part of the show, it's a constant pleasure to see them develop and interact. Many shows focus on characters dealing with major issues in their lives and trying to overcome big complicated challenges but I think it's good to also have shows like Flying Witch that focus more on the day to day parts of life and little details that other stories ignore and people can often take for granted. Real life is basically a mixture of the two and sometimes it's healthy to take a step back and remember that whatever issues you're dealing with aren't actually the entirety of your life. Well, something like that anyway.

My close second would be Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge / Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. It's actually kind of along similar lines as Flying Witch, though it's a somewhat different show. It spends a bit more time on developing and examining it's characters and their growing relationships, although there are also elements of seeing how they interact with the world around them. Both shows have a somewhat measured pace and tend to focus on things that could easily be overlooked or considered "mundane". I have to say, it was tough to choose between these two for which was my favourite of the season but Tanaka-kun comes in second because the way it handles a couple of relationships in the later stages were slightly disappointing. I really only have very minor complaints and they could easily be addressed in a second season but I needed something to pick between them and that's about all I could come up with.

Both are brilliant shows that I'd strongly recommend to anyone with an interest in these kinds of shows. I'd say Flying Witch is probably a little more accessible since Tanaka-kun's first episode doesn't give the full feeling of what it has to offer.

I've actually quite enjoyed every show I watched this season so far, it seems like it's been a fairly strong one overall with at least something for everyone. I was quite impressed with Joker Game, which turned out to be an interesting collection of vaguely related stories that had a nice mix of being stylishly fun and sometimes thoughtful. I also enjoyed Bungo Stray Dogs, which probably isn't the kind of show I'd normally like and seemed to often be working against itself but somehow managed to work and keep me watching (probably mostly on the strength/potential of the characters). I just caught up on Anne-Happy, which is the kind of show I'd expect to enjoy at least somewhat but it also managed to exceed my expectations.

I may yet catch up on a few other shows, I don't really expect anything to top Flying Witch but it seems there may still be some other shows with potential to be quite enjoyable.

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Spring 2016 thread so I'll just post the MAL score progression here.
[spoilerbutton]imgur album over here
B22Ge3Sl.png

FCEg4Twl.png

ALTNc66l.png

CeZXVuHl.png

cV0JieFl.png

P1G9gBHl.png

ECWvsKxl.png

2RLfBjAl.png

A5nGDMTl.png

zQgnCyul.png

8MDsDMpl.png

cxxH4Igl.png

lYbeJsgl.png

7WShVRnl.png

0RDOmCLl.png

2P7oTnxl.png

WeFUIFul.png

V4bzFCvl.png

h7uGtSyl.png

LMI3EYPl.png

BoxSPgjl.png

oM1D6d1l.png

Pz9JVTDl.png

rldLpM2l.png

1Cre18Ql.png

wgqtLWwl.png

GI71wsCl.png

u8mURL6l.png

lgaCTLil.png

o08xwlEl.png

7aGLXMdl.png

A1iW6GHl.png

4d4r1qXl.png

Aw2t4L0l.png

bza54C8l.png

tN8N8Rrl.png

MsukZWdl.png

R6YZbrdl.png

rKFrmPCl.png

18yaU64l.png

kaJnCEfl.png

i04hQ9nl.png

PKPuFGfl.png

JdmIwTal.png

Lc0CIYMl.png
[/spoilerbutton]

Kabaneri's ending went badly. I haven't seen it, but people didn't seem too upset by it. Wonder what happened?

I bet Attack on Titan S2 takes a similar trajectory.

Buzz201 said:
Kabaneri's ending went badly. I haven't seen it, but people didn't seem too upset by it. Wonder what happened?

I bet Attack on Titan S2 takes a similar trajectory.

I though the ending was OK, a tad rushed. People seem hung up on one or two scenes which had a whiff of Deus Ex about them. I'd happily take a second season should they decide to make one.

Back