What's the region split of your collection?

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
So, I was bored and kinda motivated by a thread on ANN to look through my anime collection and figure out just what percentage of my collection belongs to a particular region. So I went through and calculated them to be:

DVD:
UK: 92.44%
US: 6.8%
JPN: 0.85%

Blu-Ray:
UK: 56.25%
US: 39.58%
JPN: 4.17%

I'd most likely attribute that drastic shift due to me becoming more knowledgeable about the anime industry overseas and the quality of their releases. Usually, the releases I import are those that are DVD only in the UK (like K-ON! season 2), those I don't expect to be released on blu-ray or in the UK at all (Shakugan no Shana) or those with snazzy extras (Madoka). Out of the US blu-rays I've pre-ordered, only three have later been released in the UK on blu-ray.

What is the region split of your collection?

I can't imagine ever having time to count the actual numbers so I'll just estimate ^^;;

DVD

US: 60%
JP: 22%
UK: 8% (this is still a vast number of discs)
Australian: 2%
European: 3%
Miscellaneous releases from other countries: 5%

BD

US: 75%
JP: 20%
UK: 1%
Miscellaneous region A releases from other countries: 4%

With VHS (I've thrown the tapes out now) it was something like this by the end...

US: 30%
JP: 15%
UK 50%
Miscellaneous releases from other countries in exotic formats: 5%

I originally started drifting from the UK because of the narrow focus on a few demographics and the problem of most tapes being dub-only. The Animeigo (Anime Projects) releases were so much more exciting than everything else during my formative years, with interesting liner notes and the original, quirky Japanese audio intact. Both of those initial problems with UK releases were eventually overcome in the DVD era but by then I had a taste for the rest of the world.

I shifted away from buying any UK DVDs at all during the last few years after wasting my money on too many grotty discs and getting peeved with the industry. I gave the disappointing discs away to friends and replaced them with imports. Now I pretty much only buy foreign (non-Japanese) films here and stick to overseas sources for anime, though Andrew is going to break me any day now ^^;

R

DVD:
UK: 78.57%
US: 21.43%
AU: 0%

Blu-Ray:
UK: 45.45%
US: 50%
AU: 4.55%

I have never bought anything from Japan and I have imported from Australia a few times but only on Blu-Ray. Nearly my whole Blu-Ray collection was UK only but i sold most of it too buy the American releases as they are skinnier which ends up saving alot of room.

Thankfully I have an Excel spreadsheet of my entire anime and manga collection, in addition to how much I need to spend on anime and special calculations.

DVDs
100% - 17 UK
000% - 00 USA
000% - 00 Japan

Blu-ray
68% - 21 UK
29% - 09 USA
03% - 01 Japan (if you count Honneamise titles)

Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
26% - 15 UK
74% - 43 USA
00% - 00 Japan

Blu-ray (with titles from combo pack)
41% - 36 UK
58% - 52 USA
01% - 01 Japan

DVD (with titles from combo pack)
43% - 32 UK
57% - 43 USA
00% - 00 Japan

My collection started out with DVDs since I did not own a Blu-ray player at the time. It was until 6 months after I started collecting anime that I got some Blu-rays since my laptop had a Blu-ray drive (at the time it was mainly for combo packs only). When I finally owned a card and found out more about the industry including the fact that Manga said they wouldn't release Blu-ray versions of existing titles (I asked this back in the March 2013 podcast) and the fact that US versions had titles compatible with UK players I decided to import (Baka & Test Season 1 as the first). After a year since I started collecting I realised that the UK DVDs were sped up and KAZE versions are complete trash that I decided to focus more onto the US sets, if it weren't for Anime Limited I wouldn't have bothered with the UK industry any more. However I do still go for the older Manga Blu-rays though since they were exactly the same as the US versions (Devil May Cry and Shigurui: Death Frenzy for instance) and some films but the newer ones I don't bother. The MVM titles I basically ignore after the whole QC disaster of 2013 (Berserk was a title that US no longer had in print [though it's a defect because it's Mono] and I found R.O.D. in it's older Artbox style thin pack) and I really don't want to have inferior Blu-ray designs on my shelf (I am quite picky to be fair). And since the beginning of 2014 I focused way more on US sets ever since I switched the laptop region to USA.

In other words, I like the US releases better (artbox, LE for Part sets, better QC, Blu-ray versions, NTSC proper speed etc.).

Actual factual no idea, but I would guess:

DVD:

US: 70%
JP: 20%
UK: 10%

BD:

US: 20%
JP: 70%
UK: 10%

edit: making those guesses has actually inspired me to count, one day. Also not sure how we're breaking it down, if it's "percentage of expenditure" then, lol.

I can't be bothered counting everything since the percentage of non-UK discs will certainly be less than 1%. I almost always buy the UK release except when I don't expect anyone to pick up a license over here. I know they are lacking in extras and special packaging but it's the anime itself that I'm interested in so the UK releases are mostly adequate. I also can't be bothered coughing up £150 for a region-free BD player.

UK releases: approx 200 DVD / 50 BD
Australia: 2 DVD (Chihayafuru s1 p1, p2) / 1 BD (Gundam 00 Movie)
Japan: 1 BD (Time of Eve series)
USA: 3 DVD (Initial D s1, s2 & movie, s3) /1 BD (xxxHOLiC movie & Tsubasa movie)

Estimates here aswell

DvD
70% UK
28% US (Not including BD combi packs)
2% Aus

BD
90% US
10% UK

A lot of my DvD's are the earlier ones from my collection, and I've now moved onto BD's from the US

DVD: All UK except Toradora, Kashimashi, Fushigi Yuugi, La Corda d'Oro and Panty & Stocking. I don't own any Australian releases, though I plan on getting Chihayafuru. I also have the R3 Hong Kong release of Origin Spirits of the Past which was cheap in a 2nd hand shop.
BR (Combo packs): All UK. I haven't started buying BR's in earnest yet although I was gifted a working PS3 yesterday.

The vast majority of my collection is UK only, with some US making up the numbers.

If there were a relatively cheap and easily available all-regions BD player, this would change drastically.

animefreak17 said:
Well I have no idea......my collection is freaking huge and I can't tell........

Check out my MAL it should give you some idea
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Animefreak17a

Everything if watched if got on dvd or bluray

Yours is probably 50/50 between US and UK based on the stuff I've seen in your videos and pickups. It is a frickin huge collection (you should probably do an collection update via photos or another massive video heh).

Interesting question. Fortunately I have a spreadsheet too, although not organised by region, so it was a little work. But my collection is skewed by review discs, all but four of which are UK Region 2. I got two Artsmagic releases to review as Region 1, and two Manga releases to review as Region 1 when they first hooked up with Funimation and had a time-squeeze one Christmas.

So anything that is US or AU is mine all mine, although I have bought UK as well. Can't remember which is mine and which is review disc anymore.

Rough percentages...

UK DVD 84.1%
US DVD 14.25%
AU DVD 1.6%

435 titles...

UK BLU 82.4%
US BLU 12.9%
AU BLU 4.6%

108 titles

Complications...

doubles... Combinations of AU and UK DVDs, US and UK DVDs, UK DVDs doubled-dipped to UK Blu-ray, UK DVDs double dipped to US and AU Blu-ray. There's some 68 permutations there.

And there are triples too, thanks to Funimation releasing Blu-ray DVD combos, so when I double-dipped the UK DVDs of Cat Planet Cuties, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki, Spice and Wolf and Rideback for the US release, I got the US Blu-ray & DVD.

Incidentally, I have ten or so VHS titles... One of which I have the AU DVD version, two for which I have the US DVD, and two for which I have the UK DVD and the UK Blu-ray!

I also haven't counted the partials. Shows like Beck, Suzuka, and School Rumble S1, which I have half on UK DVD and half on US DVD.

I'm beyond awful at math so no percentages for me but I only have 5 US releases, the rest are UK. I"m not as cool as the rest of you, sigh

I'm just gonna go sit in a corner.

I have been buying anime for too long and have too many titles to calculate actual percentages so these are just guesses (apart from VHS which is UK only),

VHS
UK 100%

DVD
UK 10%
US 90%

Blu-ray
UK 10%
US 90%

Note - this does not count preorders (currently I have more UK preorders than US) and while I did buy one or two Japanese DVDs a few years back (superbit ones such as the first Ghost in the Shell movie) they were for my brother so I have not included them. I don't own any Japanese releases (VHS/DVD or Blu-ray) myself. I do have some Honneamise releases but they were US not Japanese since they were listed on the Bandai Visual USA website.

Note 2 - I have just remembered that I own 2 Aus releases but in terms of percentages this is close to zero so it does not change the above figures. The releases are K-On! Season 1 Collection (Blu-ray) and Nana Complete Collection (DVD).

Might be missing a few things here but this is what I've got in the way of BDs (Half sets are counted as individual purchases)

JP BD - 17 (8.6%)
US BD - 127 (64.4%)
UK BD - 52 (26.3%)
AU BD - 1 (0.5%)

Total - 197

Back