What's the dealio with Black Lagoon

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Most people seem to love Black Lagoon, so I keep wondering if theres something about it I'm missing.

I mean I admit to not having actually watched more than like one episode at a time(if that), but that's the problem. everytime soneone tells me how great it is I decide to give it a try and everytime I turn it off after about 20 minutes because I honestly find it so boring and dry.

I mean, the main characters appear to be incredibly cliched and uninspired, and the plot itself from what I've watched seems to be really boring mumbo jumbo made far too over complicated for it's good, so after not long I just give up trying to follow it completely(if I haven't already fallen asleep). The dialogue seems pretty bad as well, as the characters try to force out swear words when theres just no need, and even when they don't it still seems pretty dire. So I end up coming to the conclusion that the main attraction to the series must be it's gratuitous violence, which again I find utterly boring and uninspired. Even the animation seems mearly average.

All of this makes me think that the show must have a target audience of 14-16 year old's with raging hormones, who just want to see women with ridiculous sized breats wave around ridiculous sized guns.

Am I wrong though, is there something I'm missing? I know I sound like someone who just want's to hate on the show, but I genuinely want to like it. I watched the first ep, it did nothing for me, so I sampled one from later in the series, still felt the same, so I even tried the second series and couldn't understand what all the hype was about.

The thing that baffles me is that the people who have recommend this to me usually have great taste in what to watch. :?

So should I try it again and will it get better or is the show just not for me after all?

It just seems like you haven't actually watched the show at all, at least not without some pre-conceived idea of what it is. It has its flaws, but they are certainly not ones that start with "incredibly cliched and uninspired" characters.

It may be that I have not watched the show enough. But I certainly had no preconceived ideas about it, I just thought a ruthless female bounty hunter who swears as much as possible, has double j sized breasts and likes to shoot alot of people was somewhat cliched and unoriginal(in the anime medium). But they may grow on me if I watch it more?

The lead characters are a salaryman-turned-modern-day-pirate, and a *Chinese-American woman* (whose breasts are no-where near as big or as focused-on as you're making out, although they are admittedly still very large). A more unlikely anime/manga pairing I don't think you could find.

all right, Im guessing most people here also enjoyed the show then.

Well theres only one way to settle this, Im going to go and buy the first series today, and I'll reserve my opinion until I watch the whole thing

I just hope it gets more interesting than the sweary woman who likes to shoot people and shy guy who wears suit slowly becoming a man stereotypes.

vashdaman said:
So I end up coming to the conclusion that the main attraction to the series must be it's gratuitous violence, which again I find utterly boring and uninspired.

I find it difficult to argue against that one without spoiling the series, but really, you found the action in Black Lagoon boring? Seriously?

While I'm not as crazy about Black Lagoon as some, one word I could never use to describe the series is "boring". My issues are with the implausibility of certain elements: the presence of highly organized neo-Nazis, combat maids, and killer children all seem a bit incongruous.

As for the swearing, I take it you're referring to the dub? Given that most of the characters in the show are hardened criminals, that kind of language is hardly innapropriate. Without the excellent Ocean dub I don't think I'd like the show as much.

vashdaman said:
people was somewhat cliched and unoriginal(in the anime medium).
Give us some comparisons then. The only character I can somewhat compare to Revy is Faye Valentine. Rock is meant to be the classic Japanese business guy, which introduces the 'fish-out-of-water' element and at the same time introduces the rest of the cast. And uh... in anime? I have no idea where there's anyone else like Dutch or Benny.

And no one is really saying it gets better as it goes along. I prefer The Second Barrage but only slightly -- and it might have had a little something to do with an awful lot of awesome Engrish.

fabricatedlunatic said:
While I'm not as crazy about Black Lagoon as some, one word I could never use to describe the series is "boring". My issues are with the implausibility of certain elements: the presence of highly organized neo-Nazis, combat maids, and killer children all seem a bit incongruous.

As for the swearing, I take it you're referring to the dub? Given that most of the characters in the show are hardened criminals, that kind of language is hardly innapropriate. Without the excellent Ocean dub I don't think I'd like the show as much.

seriously, combat maids and killer children? I agree boring isn't the right word to describe these elements, but that is definately not a list of things I'm particularly fond of in anime. It sounds like ths show is full of silly anime stereotypes, but then again I shouldn't judge it yet as it all depends on how they play those elements.

Also it's not really the swearing that I had a problem with, its just it sounded a bit forced at times like they were just swearing for the sake of it, but then that's probably just the fault of the voice actor more than the script. Would you recommend that I watch the dub?

Also as for finding the action boring bear in mind I've only seen the first episode or so and bit's and peices here and there, I was only talking about what I've seen. However I've decided that I will be buying the show, so I'll find out soon.

Jayme said:
vashdaman said:
people was somewhat cliched and unoriginal(in the anime medium).
Give us some comparisons then. The only character I can somewhat compare to Revy is Faye Valentine. Rock is meant to be the classic Japanese business guy, which introduces the 'fish-out-of-water' element and at the same time introduces the rest of the cast. And uh... in anime? I have no idea where there's anyone else like Dutch or Benny.

And no one is really saying it gets better as it goes along. I prefer The Second Barrage but only slightly -- and it might have had a little something to do with an awful lot of awesome Engrish.

To be honest I wouldn't have made the comparison between faye and revy at all, they actually seem very different. Faye was actually a very interesting and well fleshed out character that thanks to her great background story and revealing of her different sides refused to ever be the stereotype that people may initially think she is.

Also from what I've seen revy seems to be a much more violent character and generally have a different personality to faye.

I can't think of the top of my head of characters that are similar to Revy but from what(very little) I have seem she certainly appears to be playing to a strong stereotype.

Are you seriously telling me you have never seen characters like Dutch before? The slightly myterious, level headed and gruff sounding captain. He reminds me a bit of a nowhere near as interesting Jet Black.

But like I said before these are just my very early impressions and will probably change once I watch more(hopefully)

vashdaman said:
Well theres only one way to settle this, Im going to go and buy the first series today, and I'll reserve my opinion until I watch the whole thing

That's some dedication right there, but I would've suggested just renting it via Lovefilm in case you find you definitely don't like it.

The action scenes do sometimes lapse into "Revy killing everything", and some of the more emotional scenes make me cringe. Then again, some are excellent, as is one particular person in the final volume, and the banter between the group is well done. Plus some interesting one-off characters.

Some of the more out-there scenes (see: the one with several boats) I can barely suspend disbelief for. Hell, I find it easier to do during Baccano!.

The more I read what I've typed, the more I wonder if I should reconsider how I rated this series...

Tell me when there ISNT a cliched character before, and I'll support it. Most personality types are already done before - Just some have their quirks tweaked more somewhere than others. Seriously - Looking for an anime with "the most unique characteristics" nowadays is just fruitless - Interesting characters are still available though.

Anyways - I'm an action type fan - Gimme big guns, fast paced action with some attitude, and I wont mind it. But I like the characters, as shallow as they may be. Revy likes foul play, firing her guns and saying the f-word every chance given. Sounds perfect for me to an underground action theme. And making Rock - a former tie-hugging white-collar employee - get used to all the stuff happening in "hell" was interesting. And I kinda liked the baddies, and some of them did some pretty sick stuff too (I.e. Hanzel/Gretel)

So I liked it because it had an enviroment that was pretty out there with the action, violence, general smut and corruption. Watching things being done and having conflicting ideals made it more interesting for me.
So in the word of Cactus Jack, the words to discribe this show is "Bang, Bang!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple way to know if you like Black Lagoon. Do you like eighties action flicks? Commando being top of the list...

Then you'll like the action in BL.

Can you hack the eighties action with character development and some smart writing?

Then you will like Black Lagoon.

While I can't objectively defend aspects of the show such as the killer maids, nazi's and psycho children (much as I love them) I would never describe Black Lagoon as boring. Shallow at times maybe or disjointed and directionless, but certainly not lacking for entertainment value. The absurd elements can be taken either way - personally I enjoy that side of things, but I'm sure others would likely dismiss it as stupid or immature. Fair enough.

All the same Vashdaman I think you're being slightly unfair about some of it. The fanservice, while present, isn't overpowering in the way it might of been (looking at you Highschool of the Dead) and sweary dialogue isn't automatically terrible (engrish aside). Maybe it's not for you, but at least give the first series a proper watch before passing firm judgment. I can understand putting out a condemning view on it, but not based on a viewing of three disordered episodes.

Though that said, if there was literally NOTHING you liked about any of what you've seen then I think it really may be best if you don't bother.

vashdaman said:
To be honest I wouldn't have made the comparison between faye and revy at all, they actually seem very different. Faye was actually a very interesting and well fleshed out character that thanks to her great background story and revealing of her different sides refused to ever be the stereotype that people may initially think she is.
Ever wonder if watching more than 20 minutes or so of Black Lagoon would reveal the same to be true of Revy?

^Yeah I agree, that's why I'm going to watch it and then decide how I feel about it, although the killer maids and psycho children are not really filling me with hope, I guess it could be entertaining at least.

And to Chaz Im not saying I want completely unique characters, Im just saying I get tired of seeing same ol stereotyped characters(especially in anime these days) with 2 dimentional personalities and no believable depth to them.

Also I can't say I don't like action and whatnot but big guns, bloody action and a bit of "attitude" doesn't really excite me by itself to be honest. Not if it doesn't have considerable subastance, style or wit to go along with it.

You seem to be a lot more receptive to maybe liking the series than I thought you were, tbh. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something along those lines if you watched the whole of the first series. Even the killer maid has some substance behind her.

@VashDaMan - Yeah, but what do you expect from lowlives like Revy who have nothing from the start? To have move to Canada, have a nice, peaceful life and then to survive a terrible ordeal, steal fish from a bear kicking it in the crotch?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVS1UfCfxlU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVS1UfCfxlU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's crazy... :p

Back