what the hells up with anime central?

AnimeEnchanter

Dandy Guy, in Space
this channel has been running for a while now and i cant understand why they only show 2 anime's, GITS and cowboy bebop. i mean whats the deal why cant they show a variety like they first did when it first started. id really like to see chobits or outlawstar or anything other than GITS and cowboy bebop.
i have both series of GITS and i think cowboy bebop is borin.

all i can say is ' put more shows an there its gettin old'

Spyro201 said:
You can say that again :lol:
This channel is no more! it has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet its maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If they weren't still paying for the slot it'd be pushing up the daisies! it's metabolic processes are now 'istory! it's off the twig! it's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CHANNEL!

Bizarely their licenses on GitS and Cowboy Bebop are time based....so they can show them as many times as they want....up to expiration date.

The basic gist is....no one wanted to pay for advertising so the channel couldn't function.

To get advertisers you need a report on viewing figures, to get a report on viewing figures you need to pay AND to run for 6/7 months after, to run for 6/7 months you need advertisers....you get the picture. It's a horrible closed-shop system for any channel that aims to be commercially viable. Sure some channels work without it, usually ones funded by HUGE media companies who can strong-arm sponsors but it was never going to work for Anime Central, sadly.

The best you can hope for on TV in the UK is an anime block on another channel....normally a minor one that's only on Sky and wans to be "edgy" and "fresh" and is run by marketing "douchebags". It's what will keep the UK Anime market tiny and unnoticed for a good while to come, with good DVDs selling 1k/2k copies.

ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
You can say that again :lol:
This channel is no more! it has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet its maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If they weren't still paying for the slot it'd be pushing up the daisies! it's metabolic processes are now 'istory! it's off the twig! it's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CHANNEL!

nicely done. did you have to look that up? 'cause theres no way I could remember the whole thing off the top of my head.

anyway. Yep its a dead channel, although if theres NOWT else on I'll watch an episode of Cowboy Bepop on there.

MrChom said:
Bizarely their licenses on GitS and Cowboy Bebop are time based....so they can show them as many times as they want....up to expiration date.

The basic gist is....no one wanted to pay for advertising so the channel couldn't function.

To get advertisers you need a report on viewing figures, to get a report on viewing figures you need to pay AND to run for 6/7 months after, to run for 6/7 months you need advertisers....you get the picture. It's a horrible closed-shop system for any channel that aims to be commercially viable. Sure some channels work without it, usually ones funded by HUGE media companies who can strong-arm sponsors but it was never going to work for Anime Central, sadly.

unfortunatley this is not only a problem that channels like anime central are facing. ITV took a big hit in profits this year because advertising revenue was down. so if a giant like ITV is getting hurt, rest assured the little guys are feeling it harder.

Maybe back in 2005, when this channel should have been launched, it could have established itself. but in todays business climate, i can see many channels like this dropping from the sky EPG.

MrChom said:

I really do wonder where people make up this stuff from. They had adverts after the first month and there are SILL adverts on the channel even with the constant repeats. They even have teleshopping now ;) And they have viewing figures compiled from day 1.

Also amazed that it takes people the best part of 5 months to work out that something is up with AC. :roll:

Much closer to reality, the money men at CSC were unwilling to pay up the amounts needed for new series. CSC's other channels are either music videos with premium rate phoneins to rake in the cash or showing really cheap crap. Minimal outlay for good returns.

It was an under-funded channel in a very expensive niche market with very picky viewers. They tried, they failed, the chap who came up with the idea has left and they are now just filling air time with the series they still have licenses for.

ayase said:

I lol'd at Python reference :lol:

Project-2501 said:
MrChom said:

I really do wonder where people make up this stuff from. They had adverts after the first month and there are SILL adverts on the channel even with the constant repeats. They even have teleshopping now ;) And they have viewing figures compiled from day 1.

Also amazed that it takes people the best part of 5 months to work out that something is up with AC. :roll:

Much closer to reality, the money men at CSC were unwilling to pay up the amounts needed for new series. CSC's other channels are either music videos with premium rate phoneins to rake in the cash or showing really cheap crap. Minimal outlay for good returns.

It was an under-funded channel in a very expensive niche market with very picky viewers. They tried, they failed, the chap who came up with the idea has left and they are now just filling air time with the series they still have licenses for.
This isn't made up but was stated as fact during the industry panel at AmeCon. The simple fact is to get advertisers to invest in advertising on a channel the channel first has to prove its audience. To do that the channel needs to invest in a ratings scheme to obtain 6 months worth of data that they can provide to the advertisers before they will consider paying for advertising on the channel. That 6 months is done at a considerable loss so only a big player really has any particular chance of being able to pull it off and that will only happen if they see the market as being viable.

Gawyn said:
This isn't made up but was stated as fact during the industry panel at AmeCon. The simple fact is to get advertisers to invest in advertising on a channel the channel first has to prove its audience. To do that the channel needs to invest in a ratings scheme to obtain 6 months worth of data that they can provide to the advertisers before they will consider paying for advertising on the channel. That 6 months is done at a considerable loss so only a big player really has any particular chance of being able to pull it off and that will only happen if they see the market as being viable.

I see we went to the same panel, then. To be fair here it was said by, I think, Hugh David....and if he doesn't know what he's talking about then I'd say there's very little chance of someone else in the UK anime industry knowing.

They've had adverts for more than 6 months on AC. And given that they only had 6 months of shows lined up it would be hard for them to have gone any longer.

Was anyone from CSC/AC at the panel?

Project-2501 said:
They've had adverts for more than 6 months on AC. And given that they only had 6 months of shows lined up it would be hard for them to have gone any longer.

Was anyone from CSC/AC at the panel?

No, no one from AC was on the panel but the rep of the rights owner of their only two shows was. They may HAVE advertising, but that doesn't mean they're getting paid anything close to the break-even point by advertisers because most will likely be unwilling to advertise on a channel with no demographics, or ratings etc. etc. etc.

Like we said, we're talking news that's direct from the mouths of two of the bigger figures in the UK anime industry, and ones that rarely, if ever, talk bollocks.

I talked to Hugh and Andrew at the London expo earlier this year.

The 6 month thing falls a bit flat given that CSC basically gave up on the channel before it had even run for 6 months. If they'd wanted to keep going for more than 6 months they would have bought the rights to more series.

Rockworld survives with similar/worse ratings than AC had at its peak.

an acquaintance had a radio station in Japan. He found out the hard way that to get some advertisers, he had to give free ads to attract others - and this even before they had the numbers.
He managed to get a mobile company and a bank to commit to X free trial adds, which actually led to more companies advertising there.

It's been four years now and I'm not sure they had 100% of the ROI, I believe they reached break even, as no one is that stupid to keep investing in something that does not make any money.

Back