What makes a good anime?

SchoolRumble4Ever!

Student Council President
Is it the story? The voice actors? The director? Or is it simply the animation?

I'm just curious on what you all think. So what do you think?

I think it's the story, the voice actors may be crap but if the story is good I could bear it and watch it all the way through.

The real question is can u put with monica rai in every ******* anime! i swear to god that woman is in everything i pick up nowadays.... anyway a good plot is good and good characters! and the ending shouldn't have to suck donkey balls either!

I would say the story as well, i would also say the music as well in some cases. The story point holds true for most things nowadays, if there's no story to keep my intrest then i don't watch. Of course a story is nothing unless there's good characters (either likeable or destestable, you don't want a bad guy who's more two dimensional then a picece of paper do you?)

No ecchi, no pairings, no feminine main characters, no ****** cliché stories: AKA: Parents died, left alone, has potential to become strong, has an attitude and has too much confidence, etc. Needs emotion and character development, needs epic battles, needs engrish for lulz, needs quality animation [MADHOUSE or Studio I.G. please] No dragged out crap [Naruto: Shippuden]

... that's pretty much PERFECT for me, I don't care about dub or sub, I'll watch both. [Though I'd like Megumi Hayashibara to get more roles than Aya Hirano who has taken her place. </3]

Lupus Inu said:
no feminine main characters,

=O

You monster, they are like the only decent character around xD

Anyway, what makes a perfect anime for me. No fanservice, please. I'm sick and tired of girl falling down to reveal their underpants, or in some kind of maid suit... Oh, and more dark sinister storyline, with more crazy psychopathes and two couples who actually build up their relationship from the start instead of waiting for the... I love you moment.

I need a hook.... you know something that makes you take notice of the anime, I love action with some romance to add some comedy situations.

The story has to make sense and have enough little twists to keep me from getting bored of having to watch the same thing over and over again.

A good story, a consistent style and tone, a preplanned ending that is not tacked on, and not too much developer excess (fanservice)

For everything except comedy those rules work wonders.

The OP song is the thing that hooks me in. If it's either sugary and cute, or just plain beautiful, I'll be sold on the series before I've even started watching.

It's too hard to quantify really! I love Evangelion for certain reasons that I hate the original Ghost in the Shell movie. I find Naruto boring for the same reasons I loved Claymore .... so it's too difficult!

I would say that Neon Genesis Evangelion is easily the most perfect example of anime done brilliantly, but as for why it is, I don't think I can answer that!

Mikuru from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya makes a good anime. :D

Seriously though (not that I wasn't serious about Mikuru), it depends on the type of anime. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something with a bit of depth while other times I just want random fun.

Hmm, a few well animated fights, not too many cliches(I'd overlook a few since what series doesn't cliches these days?), lots of enemies always improves the story line and at least one good fight restricted to martial arts ONLY like the Naurto fight: Rock Lee VS Kimmimaru (which means no samurai swords that can somehow create air-currents that sever rocks, no throwing fists that generate fire because of the speed and no water guns that are so pressureized they can cut through clouds).

I think number one for me is the story line! Theres nothing worse then starting to watch an anime you think will be good and then just feeling the minutes of your life tick by!! Apart from that, the characters!! The anime's i've liked best are the ones with lot's of different chracters! So i guess voice acting is important to me also, but i've never seen a series where i haven't liked a voice actor! But i haven't seen too many yet ^^

Back