What has been the lowest selling UK released Anime?

Neferpitou

Stand User
Recently a question pop in my head, with some anime title's selling only a few hundred copies for MVM. I have been wondering which UK released Anime title has been brought by least number of people in the UK.

With it's high RRP and small amount of Blu-Ray buyers, I guess Freedom Blu-Ray must figure. For DVD I guess the following must have not sold that many:

Spirit of Wonder
Panda Z
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Red Garden Vol.3 (I am sure I heard this sold only 50 copies on DVD)
Maybe some later volumes of unfinished Revelation titles like Peach Girl.

With certain titles it make you wondering if you are one of a few people to actual brought the UK release

Didn't MVM end up cancelling their Sailor Moon release? I'm sure I heard it did stupendously badly at any rate.
Well, I don't know anyone else who's ever owned up to getting Contender's Cardcaptors DVDs. As far as I know they didn't even finish re-releasing the VHS volumes (I have 4 double VHS sets and only 2 DVDs, each with two tapes worth of content).
Did anyone else get that low-quality dub-only release of World of Narue in the cardboard digipak?

I bought a couple of the Cardcaptors sets for my sister as presents after we'd watched it on TV, which was just a few months before I actually "got into" anime in any proper way. So... 2001-ish?

Cardcaptors got TV airing so I doubt it, no matter how bad a butchery it was. It's partly why I'm here. Yey for CCS manga re release soon; sans mirroring and with all the bloody colour there.

How bad did things like Aria do, as it was small enough so i can find next to no trace of the fact it came out here. Although most ADV UK titles are like that, due to firesaleing everything when they closed their UK office.

Aria was never released here on dvd. ADV did release the first 3 volumes of the manga though (I know as I purchased them at the time).

As for Spirit of Wonder and Le Portrait de Petit Cossette - I got both of these on dvd. Spirit of Wonder is the better of the two.

How well did the early dvds sell? I am thinking of shows like

Sol Bianca
Gunbuster
Plastic Little Magic / Black Magic M66
Digital Devil, The / The Cockpit
Rei Rei / The Gigolo

Didn't ADV UK state, around the time of its demise, that some of their DVDs sold in the double figures?

Considering how they often wanted £20 for as few as three episodes of a mediocre show, I can't say I'd be surprised.

The lowest as far as I'm aware for DVD is Red Garden which did only sell 50 copies.

Tetsujin 28 volume 2 sold about 150 copies.

The lowest I've heard of is for the Akira UMD which if I remember from an interview, only sold 1 copy via anime-on-line. Ouch.

I don't think Freedom will have been much of a problem as it seems to be a single international release rather than territories releasing it separately. At least the box set I got is multi-lingual with English, Japanese and French. I mean on paper too, not just the discs. It was a set from the US, but the discs included the BBFC rating printed on them and the box says it was manufactured in Japan by Bandai Visual, which would be the Japanese operation as opposed to Bandai Entertainment in the US.

Seems to be common enough for releases under the Honneamise sub-label.

MIBlackburn_d6 said:
The lowest I've heard of is for the Akira UMD which if I remember from an interview, only sold 1 copy via anime-on-line. Ouch.

One copy via anime-on-line, maybe. However, it sold more via other means, such as high street shops. I know this because I bought it, and not from anime-on-line, meaning my purchase, and therefore other purchases, have not been counted.

Mutsumi said:
One copy via anime-on-line, maybe. However, it sold more via other means, such as high street shops. I know this because I bought it, and not from anime-on-line, meaning my purchase, and therefore other purchases, have not been counted.
I'm not disputing that, I saw a couple around here that never sold but they must have been some that were sold, even with UMDs never really selling regardless of content.

Just thought I'd mention it because it was one of those things that stuck in my mind and it's pretty pathetic number.

If my memory is not playing any tricks at me, Hugh, ex-ADV man, said that red garden sold amazing 6 copies.
>.>

I'll try to ask him that.

JohnC said:
I don't think Freedom will have been much of a problem as it seems to be a single international release rather than territories releasing it separately. At least the box set I got is multi-lingual with English, Japanese and French. I mean on paper too, not just the discs. It was a set from the US, but the discs included the BBFC rating printed on them and the box says it was manufactured in Japan by Bandai Visual, which would be the Japanese operation as opposed to Bandai Entertainment in the US.

Seems to be common enough for releases under the Honneamise sub-label.
Honneamise is indeed Banadai Visual not Bandai ent. Things like the My-HiME BDs and Gundam Unicorn BD are under it (do check if you have one). Looks like they use if for their BD releases, and use Emotion for the DVDs.

Edit, bellow screeshot of one of their releases shows that that is indeed the honneamise logo on all Bandai Visual BDs.

Back