What happened to all the old members?

I fully understand where everyone is coming. I myself have felt like I've, to a certain extent at least, out-grown anime and don't get the same satisfaction I used to get. With me it's nothing to do with becoming too busy to find the time to put into it, it's just that my interest levels have dropped over the last few years.

See this thread for more details: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=39930&show=0#post

The exact same thing happened with my JRPG love. Once upon a time I could play a JRPG all day and not be bored...hell, I could even complete it and then replay it without boredom setting in. Then, ever so slowly, my interest levels started to drop, eventually dropping to the point where I struggled to even complete JRPGs I hadn't played before. I now collect them without any real intention of ever playing them, and the same 'collect but don't watch' thing is repeating itself with anime/manga.

In my case I'd describe it more as losing interest in life in general. It feels like with each year that passes I lose more interest in the hobbies I once loved, leaving me with very little enjoyment. Maybe part of growing up is become a boring individual who only cares about money and work?

...Anyway. Even though I know firsthand what it feels like to start leaving Neverland, I do find it odd how people who used to post about spending £100's at a time on anime/manga haven't posted in years. It's hard to understand how someones interest can drop from spending all their money to not posting once on AUKN.

Paul: If you really feel that anime is only for kids, don't you think you should change the "CARTOONS ARE FOR KIDS? THAT'S A HATE CRIME!" banner that appears on the forum? As amusing as it is, the logo and your actual thoughts seem to be contradicting each other. :p

Aion said:
I now collect them without any real intention of ever playing them, and the same 'collect but don't watch' thing is repeating itself with anime/manga.
I, as well, haven't actually used a DVD I got for months now. Possibly even around a year or so. Yet, I still buy them [anime] avidly at the expos and when a bargain comes along I tend to grab it, but otherwise, I don't watch.

This isn't new to my brilliant form of gaming either. I read up, watch videos, discuss and eventually purchase games because I know they are good games. Both to play and watch. The latter is what I end up doing. I wish I had to motivation to play through, complete a game and know the story, but I never get that far.

I've completed a few Pokémon games in my day, and possibly quite a few other PS1 games I was keen on back in the day, but now, I can't even get around to finishing the really fun Grand Theft Auto IV, which I was enthralled with and impressed by for a extraordinary week or so. Dammit.

The lack of interest in gaming as people grow up seems to be very normal, especially with JRPG fans because the JRPG genre runs into many of the same hurdles that anime does. They are, of course, both Japanese creations, and both are aimed at the same age group.

Just before my AUKN exile period I spoke to Espy, a member who hasn't posted on here for a lengthy period, on his blog about Rogue Galaxy. Around the time I'd tried to play it a few times and failed to get into it on both occasions, stopping after an hour or two, he had run into the same issue. We both concluded that part of growing up is losing interest in what you liked as a kid. While he could also blame it on a lack of time to a certain extent, I wasn't able to, and only being able to blame my lack of feeling for something I once cared passionately about on aging troubled me as much as it still does now.

When I was young (I already feel old at 20!!!), I was able to become so engrossed in games that even PS1 games scared me. I still remember actually fearing going underwater on FFVII because I thought Emerald Weapon would be waiting for me to dive! It seems stupid now but I miss those feeling. The me that was jumping for joy when he got his hands on FFVIII for the first time, playing it for 10 hours straight until the then very late time of 1 AM, died somewhere along the way...in the same way that the kiddy me that cared about the 25th of December vanished.

...bah, I'm getting a bit off topic. I wouldn't worry too much yet, Jayme: you still have 4 years of the aging process to go before you stop caring about gaming at all.

I think a real problem for a lot of people is that they simply watch too much, its not like liking anime means you have to watch on e every day, or even every week, just restrict yourself and watch something that genuinly interests you, like when you watch a movie.

Also I disagree that anime is aimed at a perticular age group, thats like saying movies are aimed at a particular age group, sure, certainly over here there seems to be a more definable target audience, but in general anime is more broadly appealing(and games for that matter) as anything.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
It's easy to quit something for good once you spend a good few weeks away from whatever you've stopped.

That's my theory, anyways.
I still dream of cigarettes two years after quitting... But that's not the point, I guess you're right, it's easier to quit something for good after a few weeks away if you didn't really loved it OR you found something to replace it. Animes are entertainment, therefore, easily replaceable as soon as you find something more satisfying.

Outlawstar said:
I think a real problem for a lot of people is that they simply watch too much, its not like liking anime means you have to watch on e every day, or even every week, just restrict yourself and watch something that genuinly interests you, like when you watch a movie.
That's what happens to most people, but I'm upset if I dont have a regular flow... Like the past month or so, I've been pretty much bored out of my skin, stressing over work and such. I haven't read any manga and anime was like every-so-often with shows I've seen again and again.
Also I disagree that anime is aimed at a perticular age group, thats like saying movies are aimed at a particular age group, sure, certainly over here there seems to be a more definable target audience, but in general anime is more broadly appealing(and games for that matter) as anything.
I agree with that. The assumption of the non-fans is that it's for kids because they're ignorant to it or it's news to them. Us fans should know better than to watch a certain thing and branch out a little (even if you didn't like a series/genre, at least you tried.)

Although, the repetitive speach of "it's not for/is for" does get annoying now. Guys/Gals! How about I just show you the back cover and prove it's not just a 12/12A! Even if that doesn't prove it, the age rating shouldn't really matter as long as the watch the DVD. So loan it to them. :p

I've drifted on & off of forums simply because I've lacked the motivation or the interest to stick around. I still watch anime, play computer games, etc, & I doubt I'll ever grow out of it.

Welcome back. Snipped out your question as it's against the rules (both Paul's and the more recent ones!).

R

Ahh, ok. I sowwee. :(

For those reading this who are curious, I asked a naughty question concerning downloads & where I could find a particular anime. This was bad of me, & the forum gods punished me with an edit to my original post.

It has a happy ending though. ^_^

Its a scary thought that I might grow out of anime and manga, even more so when I think that I'm planning on going to uni next year. However I doubt I will ever completely lose interest in anime and manga because as sad as it sounds its helped made me the person I am today and I'm glad to say I'm still seduced by its charm.

Its a shame that people lose interest in it, but I guess that's how life goes. But its refreshing to know people still watch/read it after such a long time.

I may be a new member on here but I've been watching anime for many many years now.
Good luck trying to get rid of me. XP

tehehehe.

Back