What can you suggest for a newbie?

lord.dynamo

Completely Average High School Student
I've only just started watching anime and have started collecting it. I've got stuff from Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Tales from Earthsea, Naussica of the Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle) and have also got boxsets of Ghost Hunt and Witch Hunter Robin.

Can anyone suggest any other films or series that are similar in themes to what I've already got? Must admit, I'm not a big fan of vampire stories, unless someone knows a really good one to convert me.

Also, I was quite a big fan of Digimon when I was little so if anyone can suggest something similar to that? I can't find a boxset of it sold in the UK sadly.

Many thanks!

Love Hina
Ranma 1/2
Slayers
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star

Not similar in themes, but worth a look.

As for similar in themes or feel to what you've seen already, try The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Very good movie, has a similarly good feel to is as a Ghibli movie would.

Well, thinking of similar themes...I'm guessing you like things with a bit of a supernatural/paranormal edge? Death Note could be appealing; quite an interesting struggle between two intellectuals with a supernatural backdrop.

I'd definitely recommend watching more Ghibli; some personal favourites of mine are The Cat Returns and Kiki's Delivery Service.

And something similar to Digimon? Pokémon Black and White is currently being shown on CITV at weekends.

Lawrence said:
Oh, good sir, if you like Digimon, then you should really invest in Summer Wars (can be bought as a double pack with The girl who leapt through time).

Summer wars is by the same director who made the first Digimon movie, and some of its themes carry over to Summer wars, so much so, it's quite noticeable, but very, very enjoyable. If you can, buy the Blu-ray.
Just...learn how to play Hanafuda, or things can get boring xD

depending on what you like

but i would suggest

gurren largann ( pure awesomeness)
ouren high school (funny)
trigun (classic legend, funny )
cowboy bepbop (classic legend )
raman fighter miki (funny)
gantz ( horror awesome )
fullmetal alchemist original or brotherhood ( enjoyable and awesome )
baccano (awesome story )

xxxHolic has some similarities with Ghost Hunt (and I like both) though it's a lot weirder and more 'Japanese'. If the art style scares you away, I'd advise giving it a miss, but if not I found it very enjoyable.

Full Metal Alchemist (either the original or Brotherhood) is probably something you should watch too. Death Note is also a great suggestion above.

One thing I'd recommend as a tip if you're getting started is to check the Sales thread every week. Anime On Line do a special weekly deal where they sell something at a very low price to encourage people to visit their store, and some of the deals are incredibly affordable. It should be a good way to expand your collection quickly and find out what you like.

R

Can't say much else for Digimon other than Summer Wars and that has already been mentioned

Based on stuff you mentioned like for Witch Hunter Robin check out Ergo Proxy if it's still available, Very similar art style and dark atmosphere (same director) also check out Darker Than Black, for Ghost Hunt i'm not entirely sure haven't seen it maybe Tactics or something

Basic List of stuff everyone needs to watch
Source: Loads of recommendation charts and personal experience

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Ghost in the Shell
Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
Death Note
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Baccano!
Durarara!!

wow, didn't think I'd even get one reply that quickly, let alone this many.

thanks for all the recommendations, some good looking choices. christmas list sorted for me.

sir.shakespeare said:

thanks for all the recommendations, some good looking choices. christmas list sorted for me.

look at my recommendations on my ( anime related top ten thread ) iv got 30 for ya

sir.shakespeare said:

Some links to help you out:

Media Pricer - Price comparison for all the major innernet stores. eg Play, HMV, Amazon, Zavvi etc. You can sign up for an account and it will email you when price drops.

Anime On Line - Shop run by MVM (UK Distro). Prices aren't great, but the Deal of the Week section usually does boxsets for £9.99 (for 26 eps. cheaper if less, like current deal). Gets switched round every friday.

I would advise AGAINST Evangelion for a newbie, it's better to have a bit more of an idea of anime tropes and styles before delving into Evangelion. It was one of the first I saw and it's only recently upon watching the Rebuilds that I've really appreciated how it deconstructs the typical anime genre.

I would second Death Note and Trigun as good starter animes though.

i apologise for mentioning eva i forgot its for newbies ..................... all though eva was one of my first animes as a newbie i think it was my 11th or 12th series i watched on tv........li think it was on Propeller TV

Back