What are your Family's view on Anime?

Revengeguy

Completely Average High School Student
What do other people in your family think of anime?

My Dad- Never gives it a fair chance after he was scarred for life after seeing 'pokemon- the movie' about seven years ago

My Mum- Just thinks of it as my intrest/hobby thought 'grave of the fireflies' was alright enough for her to watch it all.

My Brother- Likes some of the Ghibli films and has seen 'Spirited away' and 'Totoro' but cant be bothered most of the time and i KNOW for a fact he wouldnt like any of the proper stuff like 'akira' or 'end of evangelion'

My Sister- Only 8 so doesnt really know what anime is all about. Has seen a few Ghibli films and pretends to like it to copy me ^-^.

The only person in my family who actually gives it all a chance is my cousin (who will watch absolutley ANYTHING, including legend of the overfiend ^-^)

Hmm.....

My Mother - Has no interest so just leaves me to it, has no problem with it either.

My Father - Just about the same, Although he will stay and watch at least a minute of it, then get confused.

My Sister - Again no interest, she likes the cover arts of my dvd's though. I have a feeling her son will be all in my room a lot when he grows up watching this stuff already at the age of 1 :lol:.

My Brother - Is into it, watches all the jetix stuff, hates anything that looks scary to him like Death Note or something that doesn't interest him like Bleach. Loves Naruto & Trigun.

My Grandma - Doesn't mind me putting anything on in front of her, indeed she falls asleep after 5 to 10 minutes of any show, except Witch Hunter Robin & Howl's Moving Castle, I cannot figure out why yet.

Overall I'd say it's only my brother who comes & watches shows I have on time to time.

Brother- will watch anything on tv pokemon,(used to be one piece)yu gi oh,avatar anything on brit tv.

mum-Japaneses shows no real intrest

Dad-he watched 10 minutes of afro samurai with me and said it was to gory 8)

Mum - loves it.She knows what shows i love and will willingly chat with me about them.She has her fav characters as i do,and cried with me at the end of Gungrave.She's totally aware of anime/manga and loves japanese culture too.Hell,i caught her singing to Gackt the other day :D

Brother - well,he's defintely an anime fan as i am.Absolutely adores One Piece,Naruto and Death Note amongst others.So i always have someone to have listen to my fangirl rants.He even joins in hehe

Uncle - Well he knows about anime,and knows i love it so usually any pressies are anime based.But he's more into Asian films.So at least we can chat about that.

Nan - Is aware of it through me.Again,when it comes to birthdays/christmas she knows what to buy ;)

Other family members are also aware of it and know i like it though.

We are an anime and Japan loving family i must say.Huge Jrock fans the lot of us also!

Oh I have tried to explain how awesome anime is on many an occasion to my family but its seriously a losing battle.

Just can't win, but hey its their loss!

My parents stick to their soaps and other terrestrial platter of rancid programming, while my sister shall remain forever ignorant on anything other than the blase subject that is BB.

Mum = Doesnt give a flying fudge

Dad = same as mum

Step Dad = Hes watched some anime with me but doesnt realy care for it.

Sister = Only 6 so she doesnt know what anime realyy is but she still sits on my knee and watches it :lol:

Cousins = All chavs and think im wierd because I watch it :lol:

Rest Of the family = There stuck in the world of bingo and smoking so they dont recognize anything else around them

Brother - a fan, always stealing my manga before I've even read it!
Mum - Hasn't seen much but doesn't mind it. She likes Miyazaki films.
Sister - hasn't shown any interest, but she's a real film geek so I'm going to try and get her to watch some Miyazaki.

Little Brother: "I like Naruto/Eyeshield 21/Hunter X Hunter."
Mother: "Why do buy all that **** which you put in your room!?"
Father: "..."
Older Brother: "What's with the Japanese crap?"
Sister: "I'm oblivious to it's existance at the moment even though you're now sleeping in my ex-room."

Brother - enjoys anime, sometimes tries to get me manga off me before i read it.
Mum - she knows of anime has watched a couple of anime films and liked them..so is so-so with it i think
Step-dad - erm..well i don't think he minds, doesn't really watch it at all, and even if he did, no doubt he would fall asleep in front of the TV

Dad - Thinks its for some pathetic people who can't let go of their inner child (Yeah, I don't get that)

Mum - She not really interested in it

Brother 1 - Doesn't like anime

Brother 2 - Watches a bit of anime from time to time, he really loved Bleach though

Sister 1 - Doesn't even know what is anime

Sister 2 - Getting into anime, and a big bobobobobobobo fan

Mum, Dad and sister - waste of money or cartoons

Girlfriend - supports me in my addiction, she buys me manga and anime if theres something I really want. She is also going with me to JapanEx and ever offered to come with me Amecon if I could have gotten tickets for us both

Younger brother - Its cartoons that only little kids watch

Sister - Cartoons & a waste of money

Older Brother - No Opinion. He thinks that the amount of accidents that i have went through in my life has affected what shows i like to watch

Da - Cartoons and therefore tripe

Ma - As long as they ain't filthy and satanic [She has actually used them words to me about Anime] she doesn't care. Thats why i prefer to buy the anime myself.

But scarily enough none of them mind Manga. My Ma has offered to buy them when shes out, she once picked up battle vixens for me

Mum - Doesn't really have an interest in anime and see's it as "childish". Looks like I'm gonna have to introduce her to Elfen Lied...

Step-Dad - Actaully thinks it's ok depending on whats going on. He was grateful to me switching from a program to something my mum was watching to Naruto ( the fight between Gaara and Rock Lee).

Brother - Repeatedly tries to watch everything I do and checks to see what I'm watching so as to watch it himself. An anime-fan wannabe who lives off watching the ****** dub anime.

Younger Sister - she doesn't understand what anime is as she's only 7 though she did take and interest to Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto...No idea why.

My Dad - Not into it in the slightest - generally calls it 'crap' (one of the few interests i have which i do not share with him)

My Mum - Doesn't know (lives away from us)

My brother - Got me into it! perhaps not quite as obsessive as i am, but still a bit fan.

My Sister in Law - A minor fan, my brother does that to people :p

Revengeguy said:
My Dad- Never gives it a fair chance after he was scarred for life after seeing 'pokemon- the movie' about seven years ago
My dad was the same he said he didn’t have a clue what was going on and fell asleep.
My mam knows I like it and will go out with me to get it but is a bit iffy about it
My bro knows what it is (cant pronounce it) but doesn’t really care

The same vıew my famıly has on vıdeo games - I'm wastıng my money and tıme on somethıng that's goıng to ruın my lıfe because I should be studyıng and becomıng a bıllıonaıre ınstead.

Nemphtis said:
The same vıew my famıly has on vıdeo games - I'm wastıng my money and tıme on somethıng that's goıng to ruın my lıfe because I should be studyıng and becomıng a bıllıonaıre ınstead.

All in good time.

I was going to do this thread, but i don't think i will because i have done something so. . .similar not long ago. xD. if you really care, dig it up.

Mum: Watched Ghost in the Shell with me. Thought it was crap (because she didn't understand it). Now she won't watch any anime with me but has no problem with it.

Dad: The sort of annoying idiot that talks all the way through films but not in a good way. E.g. during an Austin Powers movie he wouldn't stop saying "it's a piss take of James Bond ennit" over and OVER. Hence I refuse to watch any films in his presence. When he does see me watching them though he starts his endless stupidity rants, but with anime its all "It's all ****. Crap. A five year old could draw that. Look the mouth just flaps *does stupid impression*. The english ones are much better they actually look real." Then I have to pause my movie and have an argument cause it pisses me off when people can be so assholeish!

[/rant] :p

Rents see it as just another form of media, no different from western animation. No problem per se, but since most of my collection is Sci-fi or mecha they don't really watch it.
Bro - again not really big on the sci-fi thing, but not against really.

Back