What are you going to collect next year?

RetroRainbow said:

With it being a school comedy, involving delinquents, I had an inkling it'd be up my alley. I'm a fan of Fujisawa's work, and he all ever really does is tell stories involving school girls and/or delinquents.

I like what I've read so far, and I'll be catching up sooner or later. I wouldn't describe it as anything special at this point - it's been pure fun, without anything in the way of substance - but it's certainly an enjoyable, easy read. It seems like the content is going to move away from episodic, 'I'm in your bathroom, despite being a girl - help me or I'll stalk you!' comedy and onto more structured story arcs. Time will tell me if that's a good thing or not; I think it's been very good focusing on just two characters...

Mars was let down by the out of place sociopath, Rei's overly dramatic back-story and, as you said yourself, a weak ending. The sociopath character wasn't needed at all, and for the mangaka to bring him back at the end in order to add drama showed a lack of ability; the mangaka being unable to make the end exciting without resorting to a near death experience. If not for the sociopath, I probably would've 10ed it, and I'm glad I picked it up off eBay for very little.

If you truly desire to see females expressing dramatic emotions over very little, read the (early, anyway) episode discussion threads on MAL. It seems Kimi ni fangirls only require standard issue shoujo goings on to cry. Part of me wants to put some of them in front of a TV, chuck Berserk in the DVD player and see how they react to the ending.

Kare Kano is a lot like Kimi ni early on. Both start out very fast-paced with strong early main relationship advancement. But then jealous, bullying girl(s) entire the picture, 'friend' characters enter the picture and what matters grinds to halt. In Kare Kano, it got to a point where the focus was on all the relationships of the 'friend' characters and not the main one. It annoyed me.

Back