What anime does this quote apply to?

Aion

Time-Traveller
You only seemed appealing at the very beginning; a typical type of trash.

I'm sure most Narutards could tell you who said the above. :)

Ironically, the very same dialogue Studio Pierrot came up with to insert more feeling into the scene does fit Naruto (the series) live a glove. It's a better fit for the manga since, unlike the anime, it wasn't split in two but it does also apply to the Naruto anime if you think of both series as one.

Bleach is another series that the quote describes pretty well due to both the anime and manga going down south after a great start to the story. Also, Kenshin (anime) is yet another shounen the quote applies to as a result of the filler hell that killed it.

Code Geass also springs to mind, although with CG it's more a case of the story going downhill since S1 (the 11/10 start) and S2 (the poor continuation) split the good and bad in two, much like with Naruto anime.

The Death Note manga is yet another title the quote fits, the manga author seemingly not knowing what to do after IT occurred. Thankfully, Madhouse were awesome enough to be able to paint over the cracks and keep DN amazing until the end.

My final mention needs to go to TTGL; a series that started very well and ended horribly, the events of the last section of the story being stupid to the point of retardation. I've semi-hated the series ever since watching it due to its 10-13 fans of it ignoring all faults and rating it 10/10.

Aion said:

Bleach is another series that the quote describes pretty well due to both the anime and manga going down south after a great start to the story. Also, Kenshin (anime) is yet another shounen the quote applies to as a result of the filler hell that killed it.

The Death Note manga is yet another title the quote fits, the manga author seemingly not knowing what to do after IT occurred.

Lies I tell you!!

Bleach is still badass and so is Death Note :p :)

Spyro201 said:
Aion said:

The Death Note manga is yet another title the quote fits, the manga author seemingly not knowing what to do after IT occurred.

Lies I tell you!!

Bleach is still badass and so is Death Note :p :)

Let's not get into that Death Note argument again :p Speaking on behalf of the Bleach manga though i thought it was quite strong still, even after the soul society arc, though they have been a few duds since then...

Honestly, i still enjoy Bleach. Even if it is moving in the direction of "stronger villiains! Must get stronger!". Hopefully Kubo has enough sense to end it after this arc is done. I think it can still end on a high.

Naruto. Anime-wise, its definately gone downhill. Shippuden was great at the start but it got to point that i just couldnt be bothered to watch it by around 40 or so episodes. Bleach anime went the same way. Pretty much dropped them both now, but i may pick them up again at some point.

Naruto manga, however is still good. It may be seeming to be very stretched out but i think its still got a good chance to end on a high note if ends with this whole Akatsuki buisness.

Death Note was still brilliant by the end for me, but just not as brilliant as up untill "IT" happened. Actually, might go read some Death Note now. Ah, nostalga.

Bleach's beginning was GREAT, then it started going downhill ever since. Naruto had a strong established world with interesting ideas and a big plot hole from the first chapter, but regardless had a strong beginning but after the first arc began to slowly turn sour.

Death Note tries to hard to be a Naoki Urasawa manga.

Code Geass is Death Note with mecha, and whenever I start to like it, it spits in my face.

TTGL, got ridiculous, it was like GAINAX was trying to out do DieBuster... which they ultimately succeeded... god damn TTGL might even be more powerful than Ideon in SRW.

Maltos said:
Honestly, i still enjoy Bleach. Even if it is moving in the direction of "stronger villiains! Must get stronger!". Hopefully Kubo has enough sense to end it after this arc is done. I think it can still end on a high.

What put me off the anime was Studio Pierrot. The budget seemingly got cut in half during the fillers, meaning only the odd episode was allowed to have decent animation. The lowering in visual quality and the constant threat of fillers made me lose all interest.

I did try to read the manga after dropping the anime, but I ended up
stopping pretty fast after seeing that the Hueco Mundo arc was going to turn out to be a poor copy of the excellent SS arc. The story wasn't interesting enough to keep me reading and the characters had become dull after already seeing them go through the same hoops before.

I've always liked Naruto more than Bleach - The Bleach cast never made me love them like the Naruto cast still do and the world didn't absorb me like Naruto world does. I suppose I'm just a Narutard through and through. :)

Naruto. Anime-wise, its definately gone downhill. Shippuden was great at the start but it got to point that i just couldnt be bothered to watch it by around 40 or so episodes. Bleach anime went the same way. Pretty much dropped them both now, but i may pick them up again at some point.

I dropped Shippuuden after the 17th episode. It was only great for the first 2 episodes and episode 26 (I randomly watched it after dropping the series). It's too bad Studio Pierrot don't give a toss about the series.

Naruto manga, however is still good. It may be seeming to be very stretched out but i think its still got a good chance to end on a high note if ends with this whole Akatsuki buisness.

The Naruto manga is a mess now. Kishimoto has turned Sasuke into the main character, forgetting about the real main character for most of part 2 while he was busy giving Sasuke all the big fights, and is only now doing what he should've done before part 2 - Giving Naruto the training he should've received whilst travelling with Jiraiya for 2 years.

...I don't really want to get into this since I made lots of lengthy posts on another forum recently about the Naruto manga; all of them ending up getting deleted with my account. :p

Death Note was still brilliant by the end for me, but just not as brilliant as up untill "IT" happened. Actually, might go read some Death Note now. Ah, nostalga.

The worst part of the anime was the pre-Higuchi Yotsuba stuff that occurred prior to IT. Madhouse did such an amazing job with part 2 of DN that they actually made nearly all of it epic; transforming it from slow-paced and uninteresting to fast paced and compelling by only keeping the best parts.

I've got the DN manga box set pre-ordered (£45) from Amazon. I'm looking forward to reading the series in full. :)

I was still really enjoying Bleach right up until I re-watched the first season. It made me fully realise how far the series had fallen.
Its not just the animation though. Every single aspect of the show has gone down.
The music doesnt evoke a single emotion anymore.
The humour side-takes used to be my favourite part. A fact I only just remembered as now they do nothing but annoy me.
The pacing is off completely. Everything is dragged out to the point of bordom. Not to the same extent as Naruto but just enough to be noticeable.
Even the art direction is lost. Compare Huco Mundo from the first episode to the same location now. They had it nailed and then threw it away.

Every aspect of it is now is a shodow of what it started with.

I have to agree on the Bleach thing. I'm going to buy up to the end of Soul Society on DVD, then I doubt i'll bother. It's just not as good. To be fair, I have quite enjoyed the latest filler arc, but merely for the good story, not the quality of animation or the music.

Aion said:

My final mention needs to go to TTGL; a series that started very well and ended horribly, the events of the last section of the story being stupid to the point of retardation. I've semi-hated the series ever since watching it due to its 10-13 fans of it ignoring all faults and rating it 10/10.

I agree with you at least partially on all but TTGL. Frankly it was the reverse for me - when I started watching it I hated it, though by the end I was loving every minute.

The conclusion is ridiculous, and I'm not going to say the series doesn't have it's faults - but in my mind it seems the strongest episodes are the later ones. The whole series was built on absurdity, so the end battle by no means felt out of place with the series' tone.

Anyway, just an opinion.

King Jimmeh said:
I have to agree on the Bleach thing. I'm going to buy up to the end of Soul Society on DVD, then I doubt i'll bother. It's just not as good. To be fair, I have quite enjoyed the latest filler arc, but merely for the good story, not the quality of animation or the music.

Awww man I like the music still. I even downloaded the OST!?!?!

I guess im just blind when it comes to Bleach. I love it through and through. I can understand its not as great as the SS arc but im still enjoying the "More powerful enemies, must get more power" thing at the moment as Hollow Ichigo is a badass.

Spyro201 said:

I guess im just blind when it comes to Bleach. I love it through and through. I can understand its not as great as the SS arc but im still enjoying the "More powerful enemies, must get more power" thing at the moment as Hollow Ichigo is a badass.

Are you saying you wouldnt want to see the same story with the production levels of the first season to do it justice?

Y'know, just so, like, you guys know, you're allowed to, like, name your own titles you think the quote fits and, like, not just talk about the titles I mentioned...like.

Although slightly off topic [just doing what i do best], i'd like to mention One Piece. Storywise, up to where i am, its gettting increasingly better. It manages to stay fresh and original even when the structure of the arcs can be very similar.

Tin Man said:
Spyro201 said:

Are you saying you wouldnt want to see the same story with the production levels of the first season to do it justice?

Nah im not saying that. All it is, is that I find im a bit of a sadass sometimes so half the reason I like the first season would be the nostalgia of actually starting a new series etc. Ive not watched an early episode compared to a new one to notice animation difference. :(

All the same; I still love it and will carry on watching it :)

Aion said:
Y'know, just so, like, you guys know, you're allowed to, like, name your own titles you think the quote fits and, like, not just talk about the titles I mentioned...like.

Well maybe you shouldnt have started with the biggest offenders. Nothing else really compares but I'll humour you all the same.

Full Metal Alchemist ran out of manga and managed just fine, so there really is no excuse for anyone else not to. When you think about it the last of the series was basically filler that wasn't constricted by cannon. But they maintained the production values.

Evangelion ran out of money and was forced to cut corners patching itself later with DVDs and eagerly awaited cinema releases (I swear to god if that doesnt get a cinema treatment over here I'm done with it). There is no argument that the original ending did not live up to the potential of the introduction of the series.

Macross had its bad moments with 7 but you should still watch it and Zero (which is great but shallow) before taking on Frontier because it does advance the cannon (even if you have to consult Wikipedia to find out how). Frontier saves it completly and utterly so there is hope for Bleach and Naruto, just not much.

Accidents happen but the logic is when you're onto a good thing you dont cut costs and wing it.

Many series don't live up to initially good expectations (and oh-so rarely exceed them), but if we're talking 'trash' as phrased in the quote..

Innocent Venus - after the action packed opening episode it went straight down the sewer, fell into just about every cliche and trap imaginable. I thought I'd hit a potential gem at first but it ended up being one of the worst series I've ever seen.

Coyote Ragtime was similar as it also had a great opening episode with a gradual decline afterwards, but even that never fell so far.

If we're talking about series going down south after the very first episode, Le Chavvy Don is the only series that comes to mind. The pacing was fast and the action excited me in the first episode, but the pacing slowed down after that and it turned out to be one of the most boring/uninvolving series I've watched.

Gundam Seed is another 'half and half' series that wasn't able to keep up the high quality until the end. After the the big fight halfway through the series it never reached the same heights again, the story becoming poorer and the animation becoming cheaper thanks to the fights towards the end of the series reusing the exact same animation used in other fight sequences.

Can´t comment on CG but i totally agree with u on bleach and naruto, completely unwatchable nowadays if u were to ask me.

Great disciple kenichi something is another anime i think sorta downgraded.. got a little absurd after a while actually..

Aion said:
Gundam Seed is another 'half and half' series that wasn't able to keep up the high quality until the end. After the the big fight halfway through the series it never reached the same heights again, the story becoming poorer and the animation becoming cheaper thanks to the fights towards the end of the series reusing the exact same animation used in other fight sequences.

I actually think Seed Destiny fits the quote better then the first Seed, Seed Destiny looked promising at its start, but then went swiftly into the gutter, it would of been better if they went more with the Zeta homage and still had the original cast there but not take over the main roles. Thanks to Seed Destiny i have no hope for the forthcoming Seed Feature film (though if that's still being made, i've heard squat about it for ages now) unless of course its an Astray movie :p

Back