War on Pants continues: Strike Witches OVA and Season 3!

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
2008 saw the debut of the <em>Strike Witches&nbsp;</em>anime, a fanservice filled, military themed science fiction series set in a very alternate world during what fir us, was World War 2. This addition to the media franchise centred on the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, an elite unit formed from soldiers of many different territories to fight mysterious alien beings known as Neuroi in the best possible way - by having cute teenage girls who don't wear trousers flying around with guns and swords.&nbsp;

While Gonzo headed the animation with the first season, a second season that aired in 2010 was animated by AIC Spirits, who returned to animate the franchise's first theatrical outing, which was released in Japan last year. However, now it appears that the "War on Pants" may not be over after all!

Following an event on Sunday, the official Strike Witches website in Japan updated with news that a new OVA, <em>Operation Victory Arrow</em>, as well as a third TV anime series, are now in production.

Both previous TV series' are currently available on DVD, courtesy of Manga Entertainment UK.

Source

&nbsp;

so the clealy obvious
Yoshika will somehow get her powers back
arc will happen after all :D

i know a few friends in the War Thunder community that will be delighted

Great news for Strike Witches fans! Certainly enjoyed the first two seasons, so I'll definitely keep my eye out for when this one airs. Still need to watch the movie first, though.

Great news indeed.

Now all we need is Manga to announce the film, hopefully on Bluray, as soon as possible; ideally at the Expo in 2 weeks :)

So, do they run with the new squadron they showed at the end of season 2 or somehow work out a way to bring the same characters back together for a 3rd time?

Lawrence said:
So did anyone actually watch the film?
To be honest, I'm not half as interested as I otherwise would have been, after seeing the film. I realise the series is hardly a hallmark of quality writing but the film certainly killed any hope it had of being respectable - in any form.

Especially the ending, which was a let down of the highest order. It was the kind of plot twist I'd have expected from a twelve year old, inconsistencies included.

And to be honest, I wouldn't be half as bothered if it wasn't for the fact that the side stories are so good. Of course, said material lacks the very element that made the TV series what it was. Instead putting a greater focus on the characters and the war effort as a whole. Gone are the days when witches had an infinite supply of bullets.

I can only assume the stark differences between the tv series and the accompanying manga serial is the result of executive meddling? Or perhaps the director, if Vividred Operation is anything to go by, he possesses some kind of reverse midas touch.

but Vividred Operation was brilliant!

well it was ok...........

it was something to replace my need for fairy tail :(

and the fusions reminded me of miku :D

Takaaki Suzuki, a writer and setting advisor for the Strike Witches franchise, clarified on Twitter on Sunday that the recently announced new Strike Witches television anime and OVA (titled OPERATION VICTORY ARROW, abbreviated as O.V.A.) are not "the third season." He then teased that what comes after land, sea, and air might be the marines. Voice actress Sakura Nakamura also clarified that the project is a new series and not the third season.

The Strike Witches anime adapts Humikane Shimada's mecha-girl illustrations. The first season of the anime aired in 2008, while the second season aired in 2010. Crunchyroll simulcasted the second season of the anime, and Funimation released the first two seasons on DVD. In addition, an anime film adaptation opened in Japan last year.

[Via Yaraon!]

Update: Suzuki added on Monday that his marines comment was in reply to another comment unrelated to Strike Witches. Thanks, Lasse limonen

so sounds like it's a whole new series after all

Ryo Chan said:
Lawrence said:
So did anyone actually watch the film?
To be honest, I'm not half as interested as I otherwise would have been, after seeing the film. I realise the series is hardly a hallmark of quality writing but the film certainly killed any hope it had of being respectable - in any form.

Especially the ending, which was a let down of the highest order. It was the kind of plot twist I'd have expected from a twelve year old, inconsistencies included.

And to be honest, I wouldn't be half as bothered if it wasn't for the fact that the side stories are so good. Of course, said material lacks the very element that made the TV series what it was. Instead putting a greater focus on the characters and the war effort as a whole. Gone are the days when witches had an infinite supply of bullets.

I can only assume the stark differences between the tv series and the accompanying manga serial is the result of executive meddling? Or perhaps the director, if Vividred Operation is anything to go by, he possesses some kind of reverse midas touch.

but Vividred Operation was brilliant!

well it was ok...........

it was something to replace my need for fairy tail :(

and the fusions reminded me of miku :D
I so wanted to like Vividred but when I realised it was going to skip awesome grandpa ferret in favour of the war to keep anime pants I threw it hard against the wall.

Back