Viz launches Free manga iPad app

chaos

The Boss
"App Debuting with NARUTO, DRAGON BALL, BLEACH and Other Greatest Hits of Manga; DEATH NOTE Volume 1 As A Free Download for a Limited Time

San Francisco, CA, November 2, 2010 - VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), one of the entertainment industry's most innovative and comprehensive publishing, animation and licensing companies, has announced its long-awaited digital manga (graphic novel) application for the Apple iPad mobile device, launching today for FREE download through the iTunes Store. With this launch, the VIZ MANGA APP instantly becomes the leading destination to read Japanese manga on the iPad, with a downloadable library of the most popular manga series in the world.

The VIZ MANGA APP will launch on its first day with five legendary manga series, BLEACH Vols. 1-2, DEATH NOTE Vols. 1-2, DRAGON BALL Vol. 1, NARUTO Vols. 1-2, and ONE PIECE Vols. 1-2, as well as the recently launched BAKUMAN。 Vol. 1. In Week 2, the shojo fan favorite OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB Vol. 1 joins the lineup. All volumes will be available for purchase and download directly within the application for $4.99 per volume. In addition, DEATH NOTE Vol. 1 will be available as a FREE download for a limited time only. Readers are encouraged to check the app regularly, as new additions to the store and free Chapter 1 previews of other forthcoming manga series for the iPad will also be featured and added on a frequent and regular basis.

"Fans have been clamoring for an official manga-dedicated app from the moment they heard of the iPad's existence," says Alvin Lu, Senior Vice President and General Manager of VIZ Media. "It's easy to see how manga and the iPad make for a perfect and natural fit. The VIZ MANGA APP is a great start, and this is just the beginning of manga's brave new world. Look for plenty more developments to come."

For more information on the VIZ MANGA APP, please visit www.VIZ.com/apps/.

From Press release

Interesting. Semi-interesting.

I guess $4.99 will look OK to some people, but I'd have been thinking more like $2.99 if you really wanted it to take off.

ilmaestro said:
Interesting. Semi-interesting.

I guess $4.99 will look OK to some people, but I'd have been thinking more like $2.99 if you really wanted it to take off.

Yea I agree, I would sooner spend the $5 at the local book store then on the Ipad imo. But then again, I've always been one to enjoy showing off my collection on a book shelf or two vs being all downloaded and stored on a computer or something.

Still half the price of the print versions. Remember they, like every other publisher, don't want to undercut their books too much as it'll devalue them.

Reaper gI said:
Still half the price of the print versions.
You don't say.

Remember they, like every other publisher, don't want to undercut their books too much as it'll devalue them.
You don't say!

I've been buying eBooks for quite a while now, I'm well aware of the market conditions. I'm surprised you didn't also point out how generous a price point it is compared to, say, the manga on the PSN store. However, "what publishers want to do" != "acceptable to the consumer".

I won't be truly interested until they get something on either the Kindle or Sony's reader, and even then still won't actually be buying anything myself, either way.

As an iPad owner and someone who was recently saying how I'll be pirating all my manga for the iPad until distributors take their fingers out, I'm qute happy about this. I've been thinking about getting into One Piece so I may actually download this app and start collecting the volumes, but not before I let a little time pass by and see how often they release new volumes and what not.

Still, good news for people like me who carry enough gadgets around as it is and would prefer to have their reading collection in one small device to make that laptop carrying case a little lighter on my back.

Sorry, guys, but the Viz app for the iPad is only available to people in the US. If you are in the UK, the app does not even exist in the iTunes Store. Er... You could have checked this before posting the story, even if you don't own an iPad.

Have any publishers started giving codes for digital copies? Some BD/DVD companies have been releasing a digital file with the proper releases for around a year now. I like that idea - I buy a hardcopy of a book, that can go in the collection whilst the digital version I got for free when I purchased the book can be used on... things like iPads.

dabbsy said:
Sorry, guys, but the Viz app for the iPad is only available to people in the US. If you are in the UK, the app does not even exist in the iTunes Store. Er... You could have checked this before posting the story, even if you don't own an iPad.

I don't have an iPad, but I have a fully active US iTunes account. I imagine the kind of person who imports manga from the US as is won't have too much trouble "importing" it digitally if they choose to do so. Still, useful to add the extra information :)

R

Rui said:
I don't have an iPad, but I have a fully active US iTunes account. I imagine the kind of person who imports manga from the US as is won't have too much trouble "importing" it digitally if they choose to do so. Still, useful to add the extra information :)

R
Yes they will, importing physical media is much easier, especialy books.
Buying off Amazon is much easier than having to use a proxy server.
Also with the physical media it's the shop who are liable not you. Fairly sure Apple can kill your iTunes/Pad if they want for doing it.

dabbsy: This is still relevant news, either way. As you have said, it's not hard to check whether its available on the UK store or not for yourself.

Reaper gI said:
Buying off Amazon is much easier than having to use a proxy server.
Why would you have to use a proxy server? I thought iTunes etc was pretty simple to buy from just by using a different region account and adding credit via iTunes cards or whathaveyou. Never actually bothered with anything other than free stuff myself though, so would be interested (and disappointed) to hear any other steps you have to take.

How...unusually roundabout. If they really do block the microtransaction purchases, hopefully their long term plan is stick the app up on other stores and approach local distributors.

I highly doubt Apple is ever going to kill their userbase as punishment for them going out of their way to pay someone for something. They have much bigger fish to fry.

R

Back