Vampire Hunter D

shira

Shinigami
Hey all, was just wondering if anyone here has seen the film Vampire Hunter D. Im tempted to get it since ive found it for £5, but, if its pants I obviously wont.

So, anyone got opinions?? Worth getting??

I actually liked it, first movie is quite good, second one is really good. Worth getting, IMO, especially for a fiver, which I think is the price I payed for it too.

It's pretty dated and the Bloodlust sequel is better in almost every respect, but it's still worth buying for only £5 (most of which is nostalgia value!).

Martin said:
It's pretty dated and the Bloodlust sequel is better in almost every respect, but it's still worth buying for only £5 (most of which is nostalgia value!).
I disagree. I felt the prequel was better. Bloodlust was just too bland for me.

I've always been turned off of Vampire Hunter D thanks to some atrocious adverts (from -- who else? -- Manga Ent.) for it that I saw on Akira and GitS DVDs when I first started watching anime. But, now that I've properly checked it out, it looks well worth buying!

I felt Bloodlust rocked in many ways, with nice animation and design work and a pretty decent pursuit plot (though as it's an action plot, so don't expect Tolstoy).

It's hard to descibe, but I felt that the original Vampire Hunter D movie had a certain heart to it that Bloodlust lacked, however. Maybe it's simple nostalgia, or the fact that it was (according to Wikipedia (!)) 'one of the first anime films released outside of Japan'.

I'd say they're both worth renting, and if you're a fan of action, quite possibly worth owning. Dark Horse Comics' prose department is in the process of translating the original novel series too - you can get 'em off Amazon. I've read the first one and it's an interesting read.

Not great literature, and it suffers from a translation which falls between the two stools of modern, readable English and faux-Medieval English, winding up with an uncomfortable mixture of the up-to-date and the out-of-place. But Hideyuki's slightly madcap original concept - sci-fi/vampire/western mashup - shines through if you're into that sort of thing.

CitizenGeek said:
I've always been turned off of Vampire Hunter D thanks to some atrocious adverts (from -- who else? -- Manga Ent.)
I actually bought it because of that. lol.

IKnight said:
Dark Horse Comics' prose department is in the process of translating the original novel series too - you can get 'em off Amazon. I've read the first one and it's an interesting read.
I am interested in getting them, I want some more Vampire Hunter D action after watching Bloodlust, I just liked it far too much for my own good.

The Second Anime I ever watched and the one which 'got' me into Anime. (I saw Fist of the North star first, but that was so so) I think I was attracted by the fact it actually could have a story in a 'cartoon' (forgive me, it was 1998, I was 14) I must have rented the video ten times before I finally found a copy.

Watching it again recently, a little of that glazy eyed glamour has worn off. The dub is average (but legions ahead of many early manga video dubs) and it has to fight numerous other Vampire Anime. However I must say it stands up extremely well now (like, 180 dvds later?) though I still prefer it over its newer brother in almost all respects (the origional just gets down and does the job, bloodlust seems to rely more on flashy visuals and lacks strong character) All the same it is always a great watch and certainly worth it for a fiver.

Plus it has a talking hand, what more do you want??? :p

Back