US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also got a shipping notification right now. Hopefully it'll be here either by the end of this week (if it's delivered by carrier) or by the end of next week (if it's delivered by mail).

Cloud Strife said:
Just to confirm since I've got my copy in the post today that the BD is region free at least according to my PS3

Very impressive boxset :)

According to NormanicGrav it works on Region B PS3 Consoles but DOES NOT work on standard Blu-ray players.

Cloud Strife said:
Just to confirm since I've got my copy in the post today that the BD is region free at least according to my PS3

Great news! I was kind of afraid that it wouldn't be, because I don't have a region free BD Player, but since Sentai usually works (or worked, at least when I made the pre-order) and since I read it also brought the DVD, I thought "well, at least I'll be able to watch the DVD if things don't pan out", but that is wonderful news. Can't wait for mine to get here!

Emo185 said:
Cloud Strife said:

According to NormanicGrav it works on Region B PS3 Consoles but DOES NOT work on standard Blu-ray players.

Ah yes, i should re-word my post to reflect that its region-free on the PS3!

That's weird, my copy just arrived and I tried to play it on my BD player (which is a standard one, no mods whatsoever), and it works perfectly fine, no bypass method needed, no region warning, no anything, it just immediately shows the FBI warning, sentai logo (I think, didn't quite care what it was as I was looking at the computer) and the main menu. I tried to play an episode and some extras and it worked fine.

Both a certain magical index S1 and certain scientific railgun S1 are region locked

Y2Johnny said:
That's weird, my copy just arrived and I tried to play it on my BD player (which is a standard one, no mods whatsoever), and it works perfectly fine, no bypass method needed, no region warning, no anything, it just immediately shows the FBI warning, sentai logo (I think, didn't quite care what it was as I was looking at the computer) and the main menu. I tried to play an episode and some extras and it worked fine.

Is it an older Sony Blu-ray player. Both my BDP-S185 and BDP-S360 work with the other geo locked discs the same as the PS3

Bazza said:
Is it an older Sony Blu-ray player. Both my BDP-S185 and BDP-S360 work with the other geo locked discs the same as the PS3

Nope, it's a Philips BDP2930. I wonder if the same thing happens with Amagami SS+? I confirmed it was region free, just like Chunibyou here, but if Chunibyou is apparently only compatible with PS3/4 for some people, I'm not sure if Amagami's case won't be the same, especially since it plays without any bypass method (and I don't believe I own any other Sentai BDs that work without the bypass method besides these two) :?

glrd1998 said:
Has it actually been confirmed chuni works on the ps4?
It's not been confirmed, but Sentai's new region lock seems to go along the line of:
Is the player region A - No = Play disc normally
- Yes = Does the player have a country code - No = Play disc normally
- Yes = Is it set to USA - Yes = Play disc normally
- No = Region Lockout screen

I seem to recall someone saying that setting their player to region A presented them with the lock screen, but when setting the same player to region B the disc played back fine.

A-Channel - The Complete Collection is technically Region Locked; but here is a rundown of what I've tried.

It does not work on Region B players (default settings) and it does not work on the Xbox One (default settings).

It does work on PS3 and PS4 consoles (default settings).

None of my Blu-ray players (all Panasonic) allow for the country region to be changed, or for the title search method to be used; so its unclear if either of these methods work or not.

NormanicGrav said:
Tested & Confirmed:
Ben-To (Blu-ray and DVD work on UK players)

List updated. thanks for the confirmation. :)

I have also added Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!: Season 1 (Collector's Edition) to the PS3 list.

Emo185 said:
A-Channel - The Complete Collection is technically Region Locked; but here is a rundown of what I've tried.

It does not work on Region B players (default settings) and it does not work on the Xbox One (default settings).

It does work on PS3 and PS4 consoles (default settings).

None of my Blu-ray players (all Panasonic) allow for the country region to be changed, or for the title search method to be used; so its unclear if either of these methods work or not.
My Toshiba BDX1200 does have country code changing abilities, and I will be getting the A - channel BD release in 2 months time so I'll be able to confirm then if changing the country code (which doesn't seem to be necessary in my case since US is the default country setting on my player) and leaving the region code as is does work on this one.

I got my copy of Patlabor: The New Files and I'm happy to report that it works on my region B PS3 without any issues, no messing about necessary. Haven't checked it out on my dedicated Blu-ray player yet however :)

My own make and model of Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S4100 :)

Will this be able to play the two supposed Region-Free Sentai Filmworks US Import release Blu-Ray titles that I have bought today to have shipped over frm America? Say I Love You and Fantasista Doll? :)

Any help or advice for me on this matter would be greatly appreciated! I think I've made the right decision and done the right thing by still going right on ahead and buying them anyway! :)

KimmyKins83 said:
My own make and model of Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S4100 :)

Will this be able to play the two supposed Region-Free Sentai Filmworks US Import release Blu-Ray titles that I have bought today to have shipped over frm America? Say I Love You and Fantasista Doll? :)

Any help or advice for me on this matter would be greatly appreciated! I think I've made the right decision and done the right thing by still going right on ahead and buying them anyway! :)

Fantasista Doll and Say I Love You are compatible with both Region A and B players so it will work on any UK Blu-ray player regardless (even though Fantasista states Region A on the back case it will work).

Before a certain point during 2014 quite a lot of the titles were Region B due to Sentai teaming up with an Australian distributor to author the Blu-ray discs. A couple of examples include BTOOOM!, Elfen Lied, Girls und Panzer, Kokoro Connect, Little Busters! Season 1 and both seasons of Medaka Box.

From 2015 onwards all Sentai discs are country coded (not to be confused with region coded) so if the Blu-ray player has the country set to America it will work regardless, though not all players support this. For some strange reason, the PlayStations (PS3 and PS4) will work.

Brilliant!!! Thank you so much!!! :D

I love both of those series very much (have seen each of them at least three times!) and so was absolutely thrilled to bits to find out that I could own them on Blu-Ray exclusively all the way from America and that they will play over here perfectly! :)

NormanicGrav said:
For some strange reason, the PlayStations (PS3 and PS4) will work.
That's because the default country code for the PS3 and PS4 is set to the US (if I remember correctly the country code is in the parental control settings section).

For the pre-2015 releases, you can still select the title manually from the region lock screen (the information for this is in another thread).

Just to re-confirm (as I have bought it today online to have shipped over from America so need double the reassurance), Flowers Of Evil is definitely a tried and tested/confirmed Region B/Region Free Compatible release? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back