Urusei Yatsura

You're welcome, Dracos! No trouble at all!

Well, I've gone and done it. I ordered bundle 1 (1-10) and bundle 3 (21-30). I've already seen up to around volume 20, so I thought I'd order a combination of watched and unwatched episodes. I shall let you know how much it ends up costing me...

I can finally dump the first ten of my ancient VHS tapes :D

fabricatedlunatic said:
You're welcome, Dracos! No trouble at all!

Well, I've gone and done it. I ordered bundle 1 (1-10) and bundle 3 (21-30). I've already seen up to around volume 20, so I thought I'd order a combination of watched and unwatched episodes. I shall let you know how much it ends up costing me...

I can finally dump the first ten of my ancient VHS tapes :D

You will have to let us know if you get caught for import duty. The main thing putting me off ordering from Right Stuf is the shipping.

I was just looking on Amazon as I thought about ordering the next couple of volumes. I ordered some form MMV_UK a little while back and they seemed pretty good at getting them to me, and not too bad on price £9-10 a disc.

Shipping isn't too bad when ordering bundles since they constitute one item. Right Stuf charge $10 for the first item and $2 for each subsequent item, so it only cost me $12 shipping for the two bundles (20 discs).

I'm currently rewatching the first 70-odd episodes of UY before moving onto the 130-odd I haven't yet seen. I just want to write a few (lol) words about episode 10, one of my favourite episodes of anything ever. Yeah, I know, get a blog, but I don't want to... so there.

---

Urusei Yatsura - episode 10

It's Christmas eve and Ataru, Lum, and Ten are on a public roof terrace when Megane and the stormtroopers, along with a couple of girls, show up. Lum is sitting on a bench knitting a Christmas present for Ataru, who makes it clear that he doesn't want anything from her. He then uses his yoyo to flip up the skirt of one of the girls. Everyone expects Lum to zap Ataru for this latest transgression, but instead she expresses concern over his behaviour. Ataru is unrepentent and tells Lum to go home. Disgusted with Ataru's attitude, (and with getting a taste of electricity from Lum for admonishing him), Megane and the stormtroopers hatch a plan to have Lum break up with him.

They write Ataru a fake love letter and enlist the help of an attractive girl to play the part of his admirer. And, er, they also recruit an absurd wrestling dude and a reporter. The idea is for her to attack Ataru when he makes his move, whereupon the wrestler will beat him up and the reporter will catch it all on camera, thereby humiliating him in front of Lum and showing her how pathetic he really is. Ataru falls for it hook, line, and sinker, while poor Lum is heartbroken that he insists on meeting her. But later she overhears the stormtroopers discussing the plan and, after some thought, decides to help her Darling.

The meeting place: the café. The time: 4PM. For some, the tension is too much. In walks "Kumino"--only it's not Kumino, it's Lum, who intercepted the girl and electrocuted the crap out of her. Somehow Ataru fails to recognise her until he's up close, but she makes sure he plays along before he can blow it. Megane's reaction to the whole affair is priceless. Outside, Lum tells Ataru everything. He's outraged, but she says that it's his own fault. Suddenly Ataru catches Lum in profile and realizes what everyone else in the universe already knows: that she's actually quite lovely. Just before it starts to snow, Lum remembers Ataru's Christmas present. As she goes to fly away, he grabs her arm and bashfully asks if she'd like to walk with him for a while. She does, and they share a warm moment.

This was the first episode where we see how much Lum really cares for Ataru. Early on she's kind of bitchy and possessive, but by the time the series moved away from the half episode format, she had become a more rounded, likeable, and sympathetic character. This episodes is an early example of that, and showed that UY could effectively marry pathos with comedy.

Asami Endo is my favourite character designer of the Oshii era, and this episode contains so many lovely shots of Lum. Oshii himself directed, and he frequent demonstrates an impeccable sense of subtle comic timing (it's such a shame that all he wants to do these days is use film as a platform to air his political and philosophical views). The aforementioned café breakdown is a fantastic moment, as are the numerous exaggerated facial expressions sported by the male characters. But the moment that makes me laugh the most is when stormtrooper Perm falls down the stairs in the café, simply because it's so random and unexpected.

... that was longer than intended!

fabricatedlunatic said:
...I just want to write a few (lol) words about episode 10, one of my favourite episodes of anything ever. Yeah, I know, get a blog, but I don't want to... so there.
No, don't get a blog. I love when people post this things. =)

BTW, I have all the DVD's of Urusey Yatsura, but I need to find the courage to face it yet, and your review of eps 10 helped =)

Watching fifty volumes of Urusei Yatsura certainly seems like a daunting task at first. If you watch two episodes a day you'll finish the series before Christmas, so get cracking!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Watching fifty volumes of Urusei Yatsura certainly seems like a daunting task at first. If you watch two episodes a day you'll finish the series before Christmas, so get cracking!
I try to watch at least a DVD a day, so I can possibly finish it before London Expo if I start now.

For some reason I can see UY staying in my cupboard a while longer, as I've got a few other series in the way.

I've also ordered 50 cases to put the DVD's in and I wonder what my bookshelf will look like after I put them in. Actually, I might even get a new bookshelf for them.. =)

How I wished that one of this CD's / DVD's had space to keep the covers as well. The only reason I keep DVD's in their cases is because of covers and booklets.

Somehow I have to make room for another thirty volumes. I might thinpak the DVDs to save shelf space, only that involves using a paper cutter to trim the edges of the sleeves so that they'll fit into the smaller cases--not something I really want to do.

Last night I had a dream that there would be a new Urusei Yatsura OVA next year, nineteen years after the series ended. Crazy, right?

IT WASN'T A DREAM (there's also new Ranma and Inuyasha OVAs).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VqPXpIGAZpY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VqPXpIGAZpY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fabricatedlunatic said:
Last night I had a dream that there would be a new Urusei Yatsura OVA next year, nineteen years after the series ended. Crazy, right?
Last night I had a dream about two girls, Moscow, cinema projection equipment and a box of kittens.

What? Wait... wait, what? New UY? An ordinary smiley cannot possibly suffice...

ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Last night I had a dream about two girls, Moscow, cinema projection equipment and a box of kittens.
I guess I dream, but can't remember them. I wish I could remember my dreams.

I've never seen any of the series before (but I have seen some figures from the series :lol:). However recently I picked up that MVM boxset of the various OVAs. For under £8 I'd give it a try.

Watched a quick bit to see what the quality was like...the subtitles looked quite low quality and the image was a bit meh but I'm going to contribute that to the 80s instead of the DVD quality :lol: Then again, as someone who watches subtitled anime on an ipod I think I'll survive ;)

MVM's Urusei Yatsura DVDs look bad because they're just VHS masters dumped onto disc. Animeigo's R1 releases have proper DVD transfers but they're much pricier.

Also, the OVAs (the ones I've seen) are not terribly representative of the series quality. I'd recommend at least watching the first two movies, which are closer in spirit to the superior TV series. Both films are directed by Mamoru Oshii, who was chief director for the first half of the TV run. Nothing I've seen post-Oshii (movies 3-6, the OVAs) has impressed me much.

I have to admit, when I saw it the letters "VHS" did pass across my mind :lol: I mainly bought them to get a snapshot of what the series is like (and because they were cheap ;) )

At the beginning of episode 68, the Karasutengu are showing Princess Kurama a slideshow of potential mates, all of whom she rejects without hesitation. The first one looks familiar. Is this who I think it is? The director of this particular episode may provide a clue to his identity.

oshii.jpg

Okay, I've rewatched almost every episode I've seen--72. After that, it's uncharted territory. It's scary to think that in about a month's time it'll be 15 years since I started watching Urusei Yatsura. Where does the time go? And how the hell have I managed to watch only 72 episodes!?

:D Ha ha! That's brilliant. I've never seen that publicised anywhere before - perhaps you're the first to notice. Or at least the first English speaker to notice...

I still want to rewatch UY, I only got to episode 21 on my second run through.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Okay, I've rewatched almost every episode I've seen--72. After that, it's uncharted territory. It's scary to think that in about a month's time it'll be 15 years since I started watching Urusei Yatsura. Where does the time go? And how the hell have I managed to watch only 72 episodes!?

It has to be around 15-16 years since I started watching it too and I am up to volume 25, OVA and films. Now I just have to buy the next 25 volumes hopefully that won't take another 15 years.

I've got all 50 volumes and I don't think I'd mind letting them go...

I don't know, it didn't click with me a I thought it would.

Back