Up1USA or Rightstuf?

PilibO

School Idol
I'm finally giving in and buying Doukyuusei. My question is, is it better to purchase via Up1USA or Rightstuf (about £8 cheaper)? I've not used either site before, so help would be appreciated ^_^

It's a gamble. UP1 is no tax or customs guaranteed, the price you see if what you pay. With TRSI, it could be £8 cheaper, but it could also get hit by customs, which is an instant £8 Royal Mail handling fee, plus 20% of the product value. Sometimes it'll get hit, sometimes it won't. Just depends if the risk is worth it to you.

For the sake of £8 I would get it from UP1USA as @IncendiaryLemon said you could get caught by customs (it's pot luck with rightstuf) and you could end up paying significantly more than an £8 difference.

Don't forget the postage as well, it's about $12 (I think) with rightstuf while it'll be cheaper with UP1USA as it's shipped from the UK.

I almost never buy anything from Right Stuf these days. Their shipping is so expensive that it's usually not worth it, especially considering the packages have always taken between 2 weeks and a month to get to me.

Wowhd is the future for Fumination Sentai and discotek. They are usually cheaper, no shipping or import fees. UP1 are still the go to for Aniplex releases.

Rightstuff do have a more extensive catalogue if your after older more obscure releases.

Wowhd is the future for Fumination Sentai and discotek. They are usually cheaper, no shipping or import fees. UP1 are still the go to for Aniplex releases.

Rightstuff do have a more extensive catalogue if your after older more obscure releases.

Hmm, they do seem to be cheaper for things I've just had or are due shortly. Have they been around long, and are they reliable?

I will say one plus for up1 is I already have Umaru in my hands, 2+ weeks before it's official release date, though Wowhd seem to be offering it for a good £10+ cheaper. Other items seem a bit closer in price.

Hmm, they do seem to be cheaper for things I've just had or are due shortly. Have they been around long, and are they reliable?

I will say one plus for up1 is I already have Umaru in my hands, 2+ weeks before it's official release date, though Wowhd seem to be offering it for a good £10+ cheaper. Other items seem a bit closer in price.
I've ordered several sets including the Danmachi CE all arrived within 8 days and no issues. Others on the forum have used them as well. I ordered a bog standard release to try them out first.

Last edited:
United Publications for singular and small purchases (no added costs), but for orders of around £100 (less than £135) rightstuf will come in handy, but be ready to pay good money on Tax and Excise. Saying that Rightstuf has a larger range so you may have no choice. Also a good place for older anime. An alternative is Amazon (some deals to be had, but not all sellers will ship abroad so look for as new titles in amazon.co.uk).

Back