Unisex Toilets: Good or bad?

Unisex Toilets: Have them or not?

• Make a seperate room for mixed genders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - We're fine as we've always had been. (Tradition)

• No - Uncomfortable with other genders.

• No - Risks involved (i.e. rapists).

• No - Other reasons.

• Yes - We need them for clarity between sexes.

• Yes - It's a simpler method of excretion (going to loo).

• Total voters

Chaz

Chuunibyou
Just been listening to it on the News, and quite frankly, I can't believe it...
Now in Liverpool University campuses, they are already adding temp. signs for "Toilets" and "Toilets with Uranials" to replace male/female toilets.

Apparently, this is to stop confusion for those "people who are uncomfortable about their gender" as they wonder which one to go into.

So lets have everyone's opinions come together, starting with mine:
I think this has got to be one of the wierdest things to be shown on news programmes for a good while. I acknowledge the fact there's exceptions to the norm, i.e. heard about a disease the makes a guy's brain turn female during their young lives (Male body/female brain, visa versa). However, if someone cross-dresses because their "uncomfortable" with their gender, and goes into the opposite sex's toilets, then it's wrong in my view.

Simplifying it, if you have a penis (therefore genetically male), go to the male toilets. If you dont (even if you're "100%" sex changed, i.e. having a vagina), you use the female toilets.

People who are comfortable with who they are would become scared of this new idea for numerous reasons:
1) Members of different genders may not want their opposite genders to see them "go." (Sence of invation or even shame)
2) Forget the issue with swapped genders, and look towards more common sence. It would easily be more accessable for rapists to sneak into a mixed room (after a long wait) and catch their victims without anyone being the wiser. Walk in, walk out.
3) We've got toilets so that any gender can sit down and do either things to do. That's why there's the option of putting the seat up or down on traditional loos. And they are shuttered, so privacy is maintained.

The only pro to this that I can see would be if young children (or even the disabled) needed to go to the loo and they needed a parent/partner (of the opposite sex) to go in with them. That way, confusion and frustration would be avoided.

I don't see a problem with it. Just have cubicles for everyone, or if you want to have urinals, put doors on those too.

On the rapist thing, having a little sign saying "Women's toilets" isn't going to make a male rapist stop and say "Oh, I can't go in here! Nevermind!" and go away.

I've always thought that if toilets were unisex then there would be more people around and that would mean less of a chance for children to get nicked etc

Eh, I'm honestly not too bothered. Sure, there maybe mixed genders or differerent genders in the toilet; But you've got be pretty "up-tight" (don't really know the word) with yourself to not be able to use the same toilet as a different gender.

Also, rape, what? Could someone please explain how having mixed gender toilets is going to increase rape?

Aaaaaanother thing, making another toilet for mixed genders is a quite... pointless. If we were to do this, wouldn't it have the same effect as having the same toilets we have now? And, is it really fair to pick out a minority of the people to have their own toilet.

I don't like using public toilets anyway; I prefer to be alone when I'm peeing so that I know I'm safe from the eyes of CitizenGeek. This time when I went to the loo as a brat (well, younger than I am now) and a huge guy looked over at me whilst I was busy peeing made me uncomfortable enough to not go to public toilets unless I really need to.

Sharing the loo with the opposite sex, which would make things needlessly uncomfortable for obvious reasons when things work fine with split gender toilets, is stupid. Who cares about freaks who have their swords cut off and wear kilts/skirts?

Doesn't bother me at all. I hate public toilets but if you have to go you have to go. I've used unisex toilets in other countries without an issue (except where I walked out of the cubicle once in my teens and a guy was using a urinal - awkward!).

The only (selfish) drawback for me would be hygiene - every time I've used a unisex or male (er, like when the females' are broken etc...it's not something I do all the time) public toilet the odour of stale urine has been rather overpowering. Same with public squat toilet facilities for women actually. Yuck.

The benefits to parents looking after young children is a good point. And even grown ups if the other-gendered person you're with is sick and you want to check up on them without mortifying everyone else in the toilets.

R

As far as i'm aware theres not a substantial problem with the current system. I dont think theres a big enough need for this change, from what i know of course.

Rui said:
I hate public toilets but if you have to go you have to go.

I'm exactly the same. I'll hold for as long as physically (or mentally) possible, but if I'm forced to play my cards I will. Saying that though, I haven't been in a public loo for quite a while; I went a whole year at college without stepping foot in any of the toilets and don't plan to start any time soon.

There's no need to change the current system; it would be too much hassle to do so, so it's best to just leave it how it is.

The system doesn't need to change, the fucktards who use the system just need to get used to it.

Next thing you know, condoms as we currently know them will no longer exist, instead being replaced with giant plastic bags dipped in crisco. This is for those who are 'uncomfortable about their gender'.

Gimme' a ******* break.

I don't really give a ****. As long as, y'know, I can. :p

Maybe it is time for more gender equality though - it does after all go both ways (not to make anyone uncomfortable about their gender identity there) and I tend to think people shouldn't be given special treatment because of their gender / race / sexual orientation. It's easier that the alternative which happened in Thailand recently where they added a transexual toilet as well.

However, the biggest thing that puts me off the idea is that women's toilets always seem to have queues...

Once again another A* idea from the PC police, what a bunch of morons, political correctness is probably the furthest thing from correct behaviour/lifestyle,

there's been people unsure of their sexual orientaion for centuries, but did they ever go into such a trivial mindset as to say "Oh we can't have a line inbetween male or female because it might offend those who are unsure" sorry but thats B.S on a high calibur! I'd like to find out exactly who the members of the PC brigade are, and if they have a email address i can voice my opinion, and in this case talking common sense to them?

*sigh*

Pardon, but what is common sense again?

Seriously common sense is something that lacks in some people, weird thing is that many of those supposedly "in charge" of policies or codes of conducts and stuff.. It's really sad.

For the rape issue, it would be noticeable for, say a barkeeper at a pub, to figure out a guy just walked into their female toilets and such, if it was in plain view. Or even a member of the public sitting near them.

Rape is meerly an example. Could be as grim or psychotic as you'd like within that oppitunity: Knife attack, thieft, assault, etc. I can never imagine why people would want to do any of them so much, but I've thought of them. It does happen. That's specifically why I put on the poll "Risk involved" and then "(i.e. Rapists)."

Chaz said:
For the rape issue, it would be noticeable for, say a barkeeper at a pub, to figure out a guy just walked into their female toilets and such, if it was in plain view. Or even a member of the public sitting near them.

Rape is meerly an example. Could be as grim or psychotic as you'd like within that oppitunity: Knife attack, thieft, assault, etc. I can never imagine why people would want to do any of them so much, but I've thought of them. It does happen. That's specifically why I put on the poll "Risk involved" and then "(i.e. Rapists)."

Just admit it; you don't want to draw your sword in the presence of ladies and you're looking for excuses. You need to get over it - Size isn't everything.

Hang on a sec.
Chaz said:
Knife attack, thieft, assault, etc. I can never imagine why people would want to do any of them so much, but I've thought of them. It does happen. That's specifically why I put on the poll "Risk involved"
Isn't everything except (heterosexual) rape just as likely to happen in a male public toilet? And even then, only in the very diveyest of them - I don't know about you Chaz, but rarely am I in fear of being assaluted when I go to take a leak.

Plus if there were twice as many people using the toilets (male & female) the likelyhood of being alone in them would decrease as would the opportunities for rapists / muggers etc. :wink:

ayase said:
Hang on a sec.
Chaz said:
Knife attack, thieft, assault, etc. I can never imagine why people would want to do any of them so much, but I've thought of them. It does happen. That's specifically why I put on the poll "Risk involved"
Isn't everything except (heterosexual) rape just as likely to happen in a male public toilet? And even then, only in the very diveyest of them - I don't know about you Chaz, but rarely am I in fear of being assaluted when I go to take a leak.

Plus if there were twice as many people using the toilets (male & female) the likelyhood of being alone in them would decrease as would the opportunities for rapists / muggers etc. :wink:

Exactly. These things are just as likely to happen in a single sex toilet and a same sex toilet.

Also, how bad is it that I was thinking "who would try to assault a guy taking a pee...he'd pee on your shoes >_< " lol.

Aion said:
Just admit it; you don't want to draw your sword in the presence of ladies and you're looking for excuses. You need to get over it - Size isn't everything.
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm not the kind of person who wants to compare daggars and swords. And yes, I dont want anyone (Male/female) to look at me (or visa versa). But don't think it's about "size" as I couldn't care less about if "Jack" had a bigger boner than me. I'm generally not interested in the subject, and I've always prefered to keep me to myself.
I dont need to get over anything, as I'm fine standing where I feel most comfortable.

Ayase said:
Plus if there were twice as many people using the toilets (male & female) the likelyhood of being alone in them would decrease as would the opportunities for rapists / muggers etc.
Ok, you got me there. I have to agree with that statement, as it's too risky for any suspicious characters to do anything.
Although I must say, I'm not paranoid in public loos myself. I'm just thinking of pros/cons to this issue. If mixed loos do take affect, I guess I could get used to it, if reluctlently. I just need/ed some convincing, as I think I'm open minded.

I don't think unisex toilets are a good idea. I think it would just be uncomfortable for both genders, and it's generally just a tradition I like and that I think ought to remain. That said, I think the logic that unisex toilets would somehow contribute to a rise in rape is positively absurd.

Back