Ultraviolet gets anime TV series spin-off from Madhouse

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
An anime TV spin-off from actress <em>Milla Jovovich</em>'s recent sci-fi/action movie <em><strong>Ultraviolet </strong></em>is set to air in Japan during July of 2008. Animated by <em>Madhouse</em>, the series will be known as "<em><strong>UltraViolet: Code 044</strong></em>" and directed by Lupin III and Golgo 13 veteren <em>Osamu Dezaki</em>. Promotional art for this sci-fi anime, including character designs, can be viewed at <a href="http://www.manganimation.net/news/?p=318">Manganimation.net</a>.

Ok, I haven't seen Ultra Violet but am totally aware of the reviews its got... it looks interesting, but there's not enough to form an opinion on it yet.

I had mixed feelings about the film. Plenty of nice ideas and decent action sequences let down by cheesy acting and bad CGI. If they use the film as a basis and take it down a different path they might have something good. I agree with Lupus though it's too early to place bets.

I actually really enjoyed the film. The story and character development weren't up to scratch, but the overwhelmingly stylish presentation distracted me from that. The fight scenes were great, and I really liked the ending. The general concept of the story is good, too, and I really liked all the Christian imagery! Not sure if it would work as an anime, though ...

Wildcard said:
Plenty of nice ideas and decent action sequences let down by cheesy acting and bad CGI.

Thats a good point, hopefully the anime can take the idea in a far better direction. The film was such a let down.

Hopefully there'll be a trailer soon and we can get a better idea.

Judging from his Lupin III directing attempts, Osamu Dezaki didn't get a very good grasp of creating interesting and fluid action scenes and focused more on comedy. His action sequences were often destroyed by dreaded postcard shots (still frames, often more detailed shots of the action) and overuse of split screen at times. He even did entire action sequences in postcard shots once. I just hope this isn't what we can expect from this.

If you've ever seen the Black Jack or You're Under Arrest movies you'll know what postcard shots are and how they can effet the flow of the action or just look outright cheesy.

Back